To big or not to big, that is the question!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Teamdeboy1971

OPTIDRIVE LN., TN Major Bass P...

Post Number: 544
OK
I am getting ready to do a install, or have it done you might say!lol But the amp I am going with is a Lanzar OptiDrive 2000D, Ok this amp is supposed to be rated at 2000watts @.5 ohm stable but it only has 4gauge power inputs on the hot and ground! Whats the use in running 0 gauge then getting a Distribution block to cut it back down to 4 gauge??? Does anyone know?? Looks to me that you could run triple 000 gauge, if they make it, but when it goes back to the 4g it wouldn't matter! Looks like the 4 gauge would be sufficient?/? but What do I know? Its only as strong as the weakest link.....

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5955
You need larger wire to carry the amperage draw along the distance of the vehicle.. a short run of 4awg would be equivilant to a longer run of 1/0 .. its ohms law.. resistance

too small of wire for a longer distance, high resistance, high heat and the potential you burn something

also if it is too small and the resistance is too high the amp can't get the current needed

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1537
you should only run around 1200 on 4 guage

give this site a read

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5956
i'd always recommend 1/0 for 1000rms+

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1539
of course its always better to have bigger wire

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22946
i won't settle for less than 2 runs of 0 gauge.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14470
there r 4g\0g adapters from companies like stinger which u can buy so u can plug in a 0g into a 4g terminal ..

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1090
and you can get those adapters on ebay cheap...i actually think i have a couple of the stinger ones laying around somewhere i never used

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2166
"you should only run around 1200 on 4 guage"

On an average application yes, but that doesn't apply to everyone though. Look at it as no more than 125amps to be safe, but again that depends on the lenght. Take into accound amplifier efficiency as well.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1081
yes u can do that

Username: Joe_mustard

Alabama U.S.A.

Post Number: 6
Rob, don't worry about the 0g wire spliting into a 4. It'll work out fine as long as you don't make the 4g part of your wire too long.

I have a 0g wire running to the back of my car to another battery and a short 4g coming off into my T2001bd and it works fine. You shouldn't have any problems.

Silver Member
Username: Teamdeboy1971

OPTIDRIVE LN. La F..., TN Major Bass P...

Post Number: 546
Thanks everyone!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us