OT Brad Warren or Rob

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1513
ok i'm really close to finishing my parts list and getting pretty anxious but i found some killer deals so before i miss out i need some hopefully last advice.
i have the antec 900 case for my pc i picked up last night a black widow edition 850 watt thermtake psu

i found g skill ram here for really cheap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

lastly a combo deal on the phenom processor and a asus mobo.

AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HD995ZXAGHBOX - Retail
ASUS M3A78-T AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Original price: $309.98
Discount: -$30.00
Combo Price: $279.98
processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103291

mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131331

i think the on board graphics card would get me by fine till i got spare money up for a new one. i think i might need a cpu heatsink and cooling system to. so opinons on those parts before i order please.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4660
go intel, amd isnt wat i was a couple of yrs ago

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8961
You're gonna get flamed by AMD fanboys for that comment, but I will second it...... its really all a matter of preference though. I don't have time to get into details but most of my experience is with intel cpus and chipsets since I work for a IT dept and they are better suited to the corporate environment.

The one thing you don't want to buy from intel is wifi cards for laptops..... those things straight blow, they've been nothing but problems, with no fix available, when cards from other manufacturers work just fine.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1515
idk i ran amd and intel, intel seemed snappier in one way and slower in another, i have a amd turon dual core in my laptop and it runs alright. i'm just trying to finalize my build. the rig i want is for photo shoping, big file transfers of 20 to 40 gigs in short times. adobe premire and roller coaster tycoon 3 running with no slow down . so as u see not a ton of gaming but i want the ability to if i ever wanted to game. so that's why i'm going on the in between. i just want a powerful system that can throw it's weight around when it needs to. one last recap for this thread. i have a thermatake black widow edition 850 watt psu, antec 900 case. 2 dvd burners from my current pc, a 200 gig seagate drive from my current pc. so all i need is ram, cpu and mobo, maybe a cpu cooler.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8907
"I don't have time to get into details but most of my experience is with intel cpus and chipsets since I work for a IT dept and they are better suited to the corporate environment. "

I run Intel processors myself but I need all the processing power I can get. What are your reasons for choosing Intel over AMD? There's definitely a reason I'd choose AMD over Intel each and every time and a reason for Intel over AMD. The OP didn't ask you guys if he should go with AMD or Intel. He's choosing AMD and that's a MUCH, MUCH better choice at the moment for LOTS of reasons. AMD CPUs are more efficient in cost, power consumption and generate less heat than Intel on an equal power level basis. ANYHOW, the OP didn't ask if he should choose Intel or AMD so STFU about it, thanks.

Good choices on all the products Keith. You'll be able to play any game assuming you get a decent video card but don't expect to max out any and every game and especially not Crysis.

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 812
get it rob

haha id agree with him tho really

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4758
^^^ I agree 100% with all of that. And that rig will be great Keith.

What people tend to forget (or not know) about AMD is that they have been making CPU and memory chips since the late 60's -- they are hardly new to this technology. And if it wasn't for them jumping into the Intel compatible CPU market, Intel would be a complacent monopoly right now. They could charge whatever they wanted and not be forced to develop cutting edge products. Credit AMD's forward thinking and vision in making Intel not only step up their game, but also lower their prices to compete. You can now get incredibly fast processors for around $200, and you can thank AMD for that.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8908
Let's not forget what AMD is doing for the GPU scene. They own ATI in case you guys didn't know. If ATI falls you'll be sad to see Nvidia get even lazier and their prices will be through the roof all while offering an inferior, inefficient, and hyped up product. SLI is a prime example. I think the best increase in performance is like 20 percent when adding another card and another 10 or so when you pop your 3rd card in(Tri-SLI) which is a huge waste of money UNLESS you're on a bench-marking team going for a world record where every single point in 3dMark counts.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8966
Wow I actually agree with rob on something. SLI may be the biggest waste of money ever.

And ATI used to be good..... but now that AMD owns them who knows. I have yet to run an nvidia card in anything....... it used to be nothing could touch an all-in-wonder card...... the ones with HD capture were just amazing.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8909
"And ATI used to be good....."

Now they're wickedly awesome. There has never been a better time to buy an ATI card. They offer better performance than Nvidia on all levels and at better prices by far. Right now there's a huge price war going on between the two. Actually a few wars, both companies want the most powerful video card and right now that's ATI with the 4870x2 which beats two 280 GTX cards in SLI in some applications. Nvidia is supposed to come out with a faster card than the 4870x2 but ATI already has another card they're going to release that's faster and priced better than whatever Nvidia drops. :-)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=207721

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1517
sweet thanks for the help guys i'll be ordering in a few just to verify a few last opinons, that g skill ram is alright to use ? and a cpu cooler for the phenom processor? any suggestions?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1519
i heard good things about the zaleman 9500A cpu cooler so i'm going with that i'll let u know how the build goes when parts come in thanks guys

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4665
sry rob u need to calm down boy lol. I was just saying that I like intel more than AMD he was asking for opinions so i was giving mine. Calmdown boyo lol. nice choice on the zaleman btw

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4759
No Keith that isn't the correct RAM, this is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

And yes, G.Skill makes great stuff. Installed their stuff a few times and my RAM now is GS. I guarantee you will hold them for a minute and be amazed at the build quality of the heat spreaders.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1520
thanks brad you saved my azz, i just finished installing the power supply in my case before bed and was able to cancel my order, only thing is it cancel my whole ordr soo another delay, but thank you, my OCZ is that way.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1521
i'm gonna wait till monday tomm in other words tomm, do u think that zalman 9500A cpu cooler is needed with a case like this?

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4760
You really won't need one unless you OC but it wouldn't hurt. If you do go with a cooler, make sure it will fit your mobo layout. And don't forget some Arctic Silver.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8911
^Artic Silver is supposedly the best you can get.

Keith, remember the cooler you keep your electronics the better and more efficient they'll perform.

"sry rob u need to calm down boy lol. I was just saying that I like intel more than AMD he was asking for opinions so i was giving mine."

Explain your reasons why Intel is better? I run Intel personally and always have but I know why I'd choose AMD over Intel and would like to know your reasons since you want to give your opinion.

Sorry about the RAM Keith, I didn't pay close attention to it and gave it a quick glance and I thought that was what you wanted. The RAM Brad showed you is much faster. Also, the 900 is a smaller case so keep that in mind when choosing a CPU cooler. I personally said screw the 900 because I thought it was cheaply made. I built a computer using the Antec 1200 and that still wasn't up to par. Heck, I found problems with my Coolermast HAF and wasn't happy haha, I did some mods to help with that though :-)

By the way, Nvidia has stepped up their game with some new drivers and is showing lots of improvement across the board in the performance department.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=207992

This doesn't make my choice of which high end video card an easy one.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1522
i have artic silver from a xbox 360 build i did about 2 weeks ago so i'm good.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1523
i'll wait on the cpu cooler till i get the dough to use it and idk my antec 900 is solid so maybe models changed, also my fan design looks stronger my fan blades don't seem brittle at all like others describe.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4667
hey rob I used AMD once and the processor died on me. So i had to go out and get a new one going with intel and never had a problem since. Intel is a little bit ahead in the game right no. They have the funding. AMD was going down last yr until they saved it with the quad core processor they came out with. I really dont care though my prefrence is intel just because I had a bad experience. thats about all though, not gonna argue over it because I dont know all the facts behind it.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8915
"hey rob I used AMD once and the processor died on me. So i had to go out and get a new one going with intel and never had a problem since. Intel is a little bit ahead in the game right no. They have the funding. AMD was going down last yr until they saved it with the quad core processor they came out with."

LOL. So what? I've had 2-3 Intels die on me. Guess what? They don't last forever. My friend had an AMD that was working since we were 13 years old until they stole the computer when robbing his house. So it lasted a solid 10 years or so. AMD wasn't saved by a quad core processor, not even close. You were the one saying that AMD isn't what it was years ago. What did you mean by that? AMD is what it was and will continue to be the same. There chips are designed with the same ideas to this day. Efficiency, low power consumption, great pricing and good multi-taskers is what AMD has always been about. 1 processor dies and you drop a chip haha, that's funny man. If I did that I would have been running AMD looong ago. My PIII went poof, so did a PI with MMX technology, that thing was the sh1t back in the day haha. Oh yea...my P4 is damaged as well but it's still kicking, the thing can barely do one process without wanting to crash. I'm currently running a Q9450 and it seems to be holding up so far on a stock cooler but I don't do anything besides browse the web and play a game every now and then with VERY low requirements.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4669
well u asked why and i gave u my reason. Ive been very happy with my intel chip so i dont even care. Ill stick with them aslong as my chip works for a while

oh and my amd didnt even last a yr.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us