Subwoofers

Saint Petersburg, FL United States

Post Number: 1
ok..i know nothing about car audio..i rele just wanna know wut the best subwookers/kickers would be for my 2008 dodge charger sxt...i just wanna know wut size i should get, wut brand i should by..and any thing else

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana 3 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6789
depends on your budget and what kind of sound you want.

whats your budget?
what music to you listen to?
do you want loud or smooth bass?

Gold Member

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1372
budget?

what sound are you wanting? SQ, SQL, SPL?

SQ= Sound quality
SPL= pure bass
SQL= mixture of both

what mids/highs you planning on running?

You gonna stay with stock charging system?

answer these and we can help...

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6531
and are you willing to upgrade your charging system?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1374
Canaan beat me to it, lol

Post Number: 2
ok im willing to spend like 500-600..i listen to a variety of rap(mostly stuff with good bass)..and i want a good even loud but smooth bass..and i want SQL..and wut do u mean by wut kind of mids and highs am i planning on running? and wut do i need to upgrade?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6790
Do you still have the stock radio?
Are you planning to change it (if still stock)?

A basic 2-12 or 1-15 setup w/ 500-700w will likely get you done.

Post Number: 3
well my charger i guess its stock..but it still sounds like it has a system n it.. like it came with the car but its def. upgraded..y?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1381
You don't have to upgrade, but most stock systems wont be able to keep up with the subs..

We have a few people on here selling some good subs... (except Ware's) I would keep the sub amp around 1200wrms if you are not planning to upgrade charging system..
What are you gonna do about your Headunit?
I would consider getting a good H.U.

It would suck to have such a nice ride with a mediocre sound system...

H.U. alpine, pioneer premier, Clarion, Kenwood Exeleon

mids/high amp- decent 4 channel
would replace frontstage speakers to handle amp

sub amp/sub check around this site for used equipment..

gonna need an amp kit.... either 4ga. or 0/1 ga.

most important will be the enclosure and install.. The box will need to be built to specs for the sub you choose.

If you need a box built we have a couple box builders on this site that can make quality enclosers with great prices.. All you have to do is ask.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6791
First thing I would recommend is an aftermarket radio. Then look at some subs/amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1383
Damnit Canaan..., u type fast, lol

Post Number: 4
ok cool..now can u explain ur first 4 lines of writing in a way i can understand it..lol..im sorry idk n e of this!lol

Post Number: 5
my last post was to mark..lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 6793
charging system = alternator, battery(s), wiring

HU (headunit) = radio

Post Number: 6
ok..thank u..so wut r u saying i need to get a new charging system and hu??or wut?cuz idk wut im doin thts y im asking y'all

Gold Member

Post Number: 6794
Ok, here is what i would recommend.

1) Get a nice mid-level aftermarket HU, w/ dash kit, harness, and antenna adapter.

2) Go w/ no more than 600-800wrms for the subs, that was you can do without upgrading the batt/alt.

Your battery is in the truck w/ that vehicle, so that is going to simplify your install. You could just buy 8-10ft of 4ga wire (~6ft power, ~3ft ground), a fuse holder, some remote wire (its cheap), and some 18ft RCA's.

Some nice budget subs I would look at:

DD 512's
DD 2515
RD Classic (2 12)
RD Sonance (1 15"
RE SE (1 15")
Fi SSD (1 15")
Pheonix gold RSD

there are many more

Post Number: 7
ok in my car i have a nav system where the radio is..so wut do u mean about getting a new HU and all the other stuff in step one??sorry mand thnks for the help tho

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 428
for right now just try putting in a new after market radio in then go with ur sub and amp

Post Number: 8
wut do u mean get a new after market radio?y cant i just hook up some kickers or subs to the radio i have now??lol..im so confused

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 429
it will make u factory sound a hole lot better. that is y u should get a aftermarket radio

Post Number: 9
ok where do i get an aftermarket radio and how do i install it and all tht stuff??

Gold Member

Post Number: 6795
If you have the Nav unit and want to keep it, you can. You will just have to get an get a LOC or good interphase. An AudioControl LC6i would do nicely.

Post Number: 10
ok??where do i get this stuff?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
???????????????

Platinum Member

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18334
Holy hell.

A lot of nice info.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 1218
settle down.

Look at sonicelectronix.com, woofersetc.com, or onlinecarstereo.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219
settle down.

Look at sonicelectronix.com, woofersetc.com, or onlinecarstereo.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ok..so i cant just go to best buy or circut city and buy a 12 inch L7 kicker and have them install it??i have to have more???or wut??

Gold Member

Post Number: 6797
Yes, you can go to a local place and have something installed. It is a great thing to do if you are a beginner.

Just make sure they actually know what they are doing and see what their warranty program is like.

Their are good shops out there, but there are also horrible ones. I have seen horror stories from BB and CC. Hell, I have seen horrors from "good" shops.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6798
One other thing, shop around and don't buy junk.

If a store is pressing you toward stuff like Legacy, Pyle, or the like...forget it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
ok thnks for everyones help! so would a 12 L7 kicker be good? and if i want to get it installed at a place do u know n e places n like st.pete FL i could get it done?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1223
i say stay away from bestbuy or circuitcity. stuff is overpriced too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
ok then snow where should i buy my stuff???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1226
the site's i posted up if you can. They have good prices at those stores and haven't heard any bad complaints from them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18336
Just wondering. How old are you and what kind of capabilities do you have? If you have the tools and can follow directions you can save yourself a bundle. Nobody recommends going to BB or CC for their install. You're better off doing it blind yourself. The $$ you save can be directed
to better gear. I'm not saying all BB and CC install locations are complete crap but most here will agree they are. You can save mucho $$ on building your own box. Can you? If so this will also further your experience and education in the hobby. After all 93% of all new car audio enthusiasts ultimately upgrade and improve their gear. That's a proven fact. Ask Chad.

Why fight facts dude? Learn to do for yourself now and save time and money. You'll love yourself and the hobby even more in the end.

I'm Paul Larrea and I approve this message.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18337
P.S.

I started writing this post at 11:57.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18338
Yes, I'm slow.

Gold Member

A-ToWn, Bangn aint easy ....when u g...

Post Number: 4069
2 12' alpine type r's in a box built to specs and a kicker 700-800rms mono forgot the model been so long since i been on here... get a good headunit to..... should b pretty good for a setup under 1000$

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
ok paul im 16 lol..so idk ill thnk about it..and thnks snow

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4323
"I'm Paul Larrea and I approve this message."

lmfao.

Zach. I think you should slow it down and do a loooooooooot of research. Get familiar with car audio. Sounds like you have a lot to learn. Do it right the first time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
ok berny..tell me wear to start..lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4071
^haha it takes a LONGGGGG time to get really good grasp at car audio.... took me like 6 systems to get it perfectly right but then again i might have higher expectations for the outcome of it.... expeccialy after spending over 2-3gz on the setup hajhahah

Gold Member

Post Number: 4072
But where to start.... learn how to use a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter) u need to know how volts, amps, ohms, and in a sense frequencies work...... and also learn carpentry for boxes... or atleast find sum1 who knows them and can build em for u to perfect specs lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
nice...ya i just wanna put a system n my car..i thought it would be just buying it and installing it..i didnt know u needed a new HU or n e of tht sh*t..lol

Platinum Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 10375
This site I post below will be your best friend for learning:
http://bcae1.com/

Read it, study it, and yes, there will be a quiz on it tomorrow lol.

I didn't read most of the thread but it looks like you are overhauling the whole system. I'm sure its been stated but if you're going piece by piece, I'd recommend starting with a new headunit (radio) and then move to a solid set of component speakers up front powered off an appropriate amp. Then I would go ahead and get the deadening out of the way which will enhance the sound of the speakers you just installed. I would then finish off with the sub, amp, and box. Any electrical upgrades I would do anytime before the sub/amp/box. Electrical upgrades can be very expensive so make sure you factor in the prices of that.

Definitely spend some time on here reading a few posts from select members and looking into a few of the brands that we suggest here and there and just see for yourself if that sub and how we describe it is what you're looking for.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1387
Wait a minute.... Your 16 and have an 2008 Dodge Charger. WOW!

Silver Member

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 129
x2 ^^

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2413
x3

WTF?!

Rich mofo!!

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1655
"Wait a minute.... Your 16 and have an 2008 Dodge Charger. WOW"

x4 i was thinking the same thing after he said his age.... :-(

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10552
How much trunk room do you want to take up is another question. If you want to take up less room go with a single 12 and if you dont mind taking up more go with a 15. A one subwoofer set up is what I would recommend on the power range canaan recommended. Single sub setups are not the usual but they can get loud too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
ok cool thnks..can u suggest me some brands tho?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10554
The ones canaan recommended are good but another I would consider is an audioque sdc 12 or 15 depending how much room you want to give up.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/SDC2_5_Series.htm

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

Silver Member

Toledo, OH US and A

Post Number: 178
alright, after laughing, crying and hating all of these posts, i'm gonna put in my two cents.

im 17, and i started jumping into all of the car audio stuff when i was 16. building your own first box will be tricky, ESPECCIALLY if you build a ported one. if you're in school, don't go to a woodshop class to have them do it, they're idiots mostly, plus you run the risk of somoene mesing with your stuff. go find someone who either has the tools to build a box (some type of saw that can cut a straight line, a jigsaw, and a drill should do it. tape measure isn't even mentioned because its a basic lol) get good at math if you're not already. you'll need to know some basic geometry for dimensions, cubic feet, and displacement(when you put a sub that has .7 cubic foot displacement in a 1 cubic foot box, you now only have a .3 cubic foot enclosure for your sub, which should NEVER be done.)

as far as subs go, listen to snow.

sonicelectronix.com and check out alpine type R 12s. they're 115 a piece, so 2 of them should be about 280 shipped. great subs for the price.

new HU should be the first thing you do. i read about you having the navigation or w/e. what you should do right now is buy a nice little HU for like 150, install it, then after you get your system all hooked up, save some $$ and get a pioneer, kenwood, etc DVD player that would fit in the slot. that would be compatable for your system, and would be sweet to have.

the basic car audio site that was posted here earlier will help a lot too. lets say you get all your wires ran correctly by yourself, and then your first box you build is horrible. an install at a shop is like 150+++(i've never had it done).you'll only spend like what, 20 dollars on a 4ft. x 8ft. piece of wood, so just go buy more wood til you get it right. try and remember what the school tought you in freshman science class, and not what the pretty girl that failed it twice's legs and a$5 look like. they should have tought you some basic circuitry that would help you complete your system, and knowing this stuff will also give you more options once you get it all ready.

Silver Member

Toledo, OH US and A

Post Number: 179
just call me

*super-post-er*

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
thnks lucas tht was a lot of help..but like where would i put this new HU and stuff cuz like its a new car and my parents would freak if i had to like rip n e thing out...and i cant just like buy to kickers and have them installed to my radio??

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10555
While Lucas is getting smart and putting down other people to feel somehow superior. I do however agree with the suggestion of the alpine type r 12's except you can get them from etronics for 99 plus shipping with an option for a 3 year warranty for 12 dollars each. The reason I didnt recommend them is because I didnt know they could be bought that cheap I only looked on ebay which usually is your cheapest bet.

http://buy-electronics.etronics.com/search?w=alpine+type+r

You could go with an amp like the audioque 1200 d and set it to what ever power you want up to 1200 watts.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1229
2 type r's on an audioque 1200d would be a nice system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1391
That particular combo is probably the best bang for your buck system. Extremely inexpensive for all new subs/amp... And it will get LOUD(install and enclosure considering)!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
does tht require a new HU and all tht other stuff???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1233
yes of course.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
y tho?! y cant i just get 2 kickers and install them to the radio!? im so confused lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10556
canaan...."If you have the Nav unit and want to keep it, you can. You will just have to get an get a LOC or good interphase. An AudioControl LC6i would do nicely."

(The audiocontrol says it can only pass 400 each so id assume 1200 is the limit using one preout but im not sure and if thats so it limits you running an amp for your highs later so I dont recommend that approach)

You can use your factory radio like canaan said but you would be better off with a headunit. If its a parents approval thing ask them if you can buy a headunit and have it put in professionally.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
o ok but wouldnt tht take away my nav??

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 434
not all ways they make parts to keep ur nav

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
i know iv asked this like 100 times y cant i just keep my radio buy some kickers and have them installed????

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10560
You can but you need an interface so the amp can connect.

Silver Member

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 135
fi Q with kicker zx1000.1

2 type r 12's on kicker zx1000.1,rd1000,memphis mcd1000.1

with stock electrical i wouldnt go over 1000 rms :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
ok wut exactly is an interfase

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
ok how much would tht cost me bruce?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
wut exactly is an interfase and how much is it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1240
just get an aftermarket radio. and you can look up kicker zx1000.1 on ebay and the fi q's he suggested are on this site. ficaraudio.com

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2979
is everyone missing the point here??

he's not getting an aftermarket radio, he has the stock navigation. how flucking stupid would it be to replace his stock $1000 plus navigation system with a 150 dollar HU??

his best bet is either an LOC or an audiocontrol lc6i like marshall said 100 posts ago.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 2980
do you have the stock boston acoustics sound system?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1242
sorry jeez. i keep forgetting about that.

Silver Member

Houghton/Hancock while..., MI United States

Post Number: 505
Yes if you don't want to replace the factory HU you don't have to. Get some 12" alpine type-r's, an audioque 1200 amp, build your own box or pay someone from here to do it, and buy either an LOC or an audiocontrol lc6i (if you dont know what they are google them). As far as installing all this goes, I personally wouldn't be comfortable installing a system myself into a car that nice... I don't even like pulling sh!t apart in my car. It would be good to learn, but if your afraid I would go to an audio shop and ask if they have any pictures of their installs. If the installs look nice have them do it... but unfortunately it will cost quite a bit to get it installed.

P.S. Pay the money and do it/get it done right... You don't wanna be the guy with a sweet car, but a garbage stereo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
ok cool thnks..so when i buy all the stuff do i just go to an audio place and they will do it all??and with out installation how much will all this cost?????

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2497
its a very easy mathmatical equation.

copy+paste+google=the answer

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2498
and u can get some kickers and hook it up to ur radio. if u want to be like everyone else. or you can have some nice stuff and have the accomplished feeling of doing it yourself and everyone will be jealous

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4336
80 posts and still nothing Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
lol..ok thnks can i get a real answer other then copy paste and google stuff..lol..unless one of u wanna tell me what to look up..lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10571
http://buy-electronics.etronics.com/search?w=alpine+type+r

"You could go with an amp like the audioque 1200 d and set it to what ever power you want up to 1200 watts.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm"

and this if it can pass 1200 watts through one channel which I would think it can. (ask the seller)

http://cgi.ebay.com/AudioControl-LC6i-6Ch-Line-Output-Converter-White-NEW_W0QQitemZ150298370073QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150298370073&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A16|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Silver Member

Houghton/Hancock while..., MI United States

Post Number: 506
Do some homework on what you have been suggested. From the way this is going I can already tell its gunna be over $500-$600. So start saving lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1245
true that. and most the stuff your asking, you can look up and find out for yourself.

Gold Member

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2500
its like we tell this kid what to do then over and over he says "y cat i get a kicker and hook it up to my radio." seriously if u come for advise and then just keep saying that over then y even come for help if ur not gunna even take the advice.

Silver Member

Kevin Duckwitz, MI United States

Post Number: 512
OK, you can go get a kicker and hook it up to your radio... But that will be lame and defeat the purpose of you coming to this forum.

Ipso facto, you have wasted our time and yours.

Bronze Member
Username: Wfbass

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 25
lol, maybe this guy is just better off hiring someone to fiqure this **** out for him and get it installed, seems like he's not gettin the picture here :p
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us