How easy do subs blow?

Bronze Member
Username: Fritos2

Post Number: 21
just wondering how much u havta push a sub before it blows i have a alpine type-r 500wrms 1500w max and i have it at 900w would this be easy to blow or could i push this at like max volume and be fine im takin it easy at 15 out of 50 for volume with bass -3 sub +8 its pretty loud as is but idk how much to push it is there a way to know?

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1198
set your gains to 600w and you should have trouble trying to blow it.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8319
If you have to ask this question then it should be pretty easy.

Bronze Member
Username: Beamerboy46350

LaPorte, IN United States

Post Number: 36
lol it will be very easy to blow any subwoofer if you do not take the time to set it up right the first time. I promise you. If i could have read this forum before February of this year id be rocking a 10 times better system i promise. So please look around and ask someone more knowledgeable than me for help setting the gains and crossovers and bass, trble, etc.... so that you wont be replacing it in the near future and it will sound 2 as good but thats just my opinion !!!

Silver Member
Username: Visitor

Middleofnowhere, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 206
well, usually you need to take them out to a nice dinner, and maybe even a movie.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7878
^^^^

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17356
Why would anyone want to max out their volume? If you're referring to HU volume then you're going to encounter distortion. Setting gains won't avoid that.

A distorted signal is just that. Send it through an amplifier and now you have an amplified distorted signal.

Now pair that up with an amp too large for your sub compounded by improperly set gains and volume=disaster.

Never look at max power, your amp should be paired to your subs using the RMS power.

You my friend will be back.

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 667
i dunno, my type R's took a beating and i never blew them. i was super impressed.

Bronze Member
Username: Excursion

Post Number: 36
turn them up til they stop getting louder and wait. if they blow you needed better woofers anyway

Silver Member
Username: Moey_g

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 251
"bass -3 sub +8 "
Just curious as to why you have tuned your head unit like this? Do you not have a high pass filter on your speaker amp?

Im just curious...

Bronze Member
Username: Fritos2

Post Number: 24
it has a subsonic filter infrasonic filter and a low-pass filter, my other speakers suck so i turn bass to -3 so i can the hear words without them being muffled, seems to hit cleaner to me maybe cause like i said door speakers suck but idk, on some songs that im just trying to hit bass ill turn up bass

Username: Jj420th

Post Number: 1
Its not that easy to blow a sub or subs. You have the sub/subs at 900w & peak is 1500w, then your fine. You can put it up to 1500w maybe little more but the higher you go the lifespan of the sub goes down (aka blown sub). For that to happen, it will take sometime & its not good to max it out completely for long periods of time. If you want to blow a sub quick, under power the sub. Under powering a sub is worse than over powering. Under powering means going under the rms watts not the the peak watts. Hoped that helps.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

James Carrol is the re...

Post Number: 1176
But justin physically underpowering the sub does no damage at all.

When a sub is underpowered it obviously isn't going to meet its full potential therefore you keep turning that volume knob up to meet your expectations causing clipping.
Underpowering a sub can do no damage what so ever. Clipping can.

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Post Number: 521
underpowering a sub does not cause damage. This has become a misconception because people who buy amps that do not supply their subs with enough power try to compensate by maxing out gains and bas boost, clipping the signal and frying the VCs.

if underpowering a sub caused damage then you will hurt your sub every time you cut the volume down.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4663
Clipped signals do not cause sub failure either, people need to read up. Sub failure is caused by thermal limitations being reach for that particular sub/voice coil. Signal clipping even though the tops of the AC waveform are cut off there is plenty of weight/momentum to take the sub through out its full range and thus enough cooling. Now running to much power coupled with enough distortion can and will blow a sub. Bass boost and not enough power can throw an amp into "amplifier clipping" where the available power isn't enough and causes the fets to throw straight DC to your sub, that will do it. Honestly most people blow subs out of pure lack of knowledge, not knowing when to bump and when not to. Also not being able to notice the tell tail signs and even the coil stink, when it smokes, turn it the fck down lOl. Also reading above, setting gains to limit power also does nothing unless you are running nothing but test tones. Each song is recorded differently at different levels/eq so each will throw out a different level of output (input power) thus negating doing the above. I run no less than double the rated power for any given sub and have never blown a sub because of to much power. Also you need to know that thermal limitations of a sub can be reached much easier on a hot Texas day so if your car is baking in the sun, so is your system allow it to cool off first. I have had hot enough days where the amp was so hot inside the car that it reached its protection shutoff without even ever being played !!!. JMHO..Polo.

Bronze Member
Username: Neptune07

Grand Junction/Golden, CO

Post Number: 64
"I have had hot enough days where the amp was so hot inside the car that it reached its protection shutoff without even ever being played !!!. "

same has happened to me so during the summer i always roll around with the air conditioning turned on my feet so that my amp underneath the passenger seat stays cool lol

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 1943
There ha been alot of good advice in this thread.

but please, everyone ignore Justin Gibson's post.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
ya and usually a first post has to do with a question, not giving unintelligent advice

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3061
Just turn your gains 85-90% of the way up and only listen to it at full volume.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4664
Not funny Jake, there are peeps here that would do it lOl. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

James Carrol is the re...

Post Number: 1177
Polo,
You're right clipping itself does not actually cause the sub to fail, but it does lead to speaker failure, but since 95% of the people on E couldn't care less about the scientific side to audio I wasn't going to waste my time explaining it.

When a signal is clipped the crest factor goes down since the peaks are not growing anymore BUT the average power still increases.

So say we have a recording with a crest factor of 10db and a 1000w amp. If we play this recording just below clipping the speaker has 100w to dissipate.
Let's say we clip this signal to 7db above clipping. The crest factor is now reduced to to 3db. This would cause the speaker to have 500w to dissipate. That's 5X as much average power as before.
This only matters for as long as you play the 3db tone.
BTW the 3db would be equal to playing a sine wave. Something to think about.

Post Number: 2
Nick V if you read Polo's post, he went more into depth to what I meant by under powering a sub. Some of you guys say "oh under powering power do not damage the sub". There's a cause & effect to everything, even thought under powering a sub doesn't damage it by itself. But it leads to "amplifier clipping", messing with the gain, or the bass/volume, than failure. Phil & Blakbocs you both are right as to under powering it does no damage but leads to things that will. I guess I should have explained it better.

Nick V, I don't see any advice from other then saying "but please, everyone ignore Justin Gibson's post". If you're going to put comments like that, which have nothing to do with the topic? Maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1944

quote:

Nick V if you read Polo's post, he went more into depth to what I meant by under powering a sub.

quote:

Under powering a sub is worse than over powering. Under powering means going under the rms watts not the the peak watts.

Ok, so you are telling me that I did not give any advice, when you are the one not "going into depth" with yours making you sound like a complete noob. It's the same thing. From what I read with your "advice", you were saying going over peak is fine.

Please, unless you go into depth instead of giving it "sugar coated" in a unintelligent way, don't say anything at all :-)

BTW: Please don't act like the admin, because you aren't.

Bronze Member
Username: Beamerboy46350

LaPorte, IN United States

Post Number: 46
It was really OT it was just retarded

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21706
you know whats fucked up? my revo is rated at 1500wrms and my amp is 1200wrms. damn bye bye revo.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17406
Looks like you can blow that revo and another 300w sub at the same time Chad.

Just connect them in a series/parallel config and bypass the isotope difibulatator while harnessing the power of the flux capacitor and channeling it into the 12.6 gigawatt generator, then connect the subs.

Then press one for English.

Post Number: 3
I'm not acting like the admin. I'm looking at the posts & your name isn't on there until you put down my post. If you didn't really knew what i meant by under powering a sub than maybe you shouldn't have a system. You say I "sugar coated" it, then you knew what I meant & so you say ignore my post & not shared with us your intelligent answer. I didn't say going over peak is fine. If you read what I put "going up to peak watts & a little above it will shorten the life span of the sub. I said its fine if he has it at 900w & the peak is 1500w. Here I will help you out 1500 - 900 = 600w, 600w to play with. You say its an unintelligent to say it but 3 other people knew what I meant. I tried to give advice & all your doing is putting me down. Why is it people who don't like the way people say something or doesn't like something, call people noobs? I don't need to come down to your level & call people names.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1945
Come down to my level? How about using sentences that make sense.

And no one understood what you meant. The first words of two sentences afer your post are: "underpowering a sub does not cause damage."

And how is someone supposed to "know what you mean" when you say "under powering a sub kills it quicker than overpowering it." That is completely false. Under powering a sub with a clipped signal can kill a sub, but no where near as fast as over powering it while clipping.

And I should not have a system? I probably understand car audio more in depth than you ever will.

quote:

You say I "sugar coated" it, then you knew what I meant

Dumbass. I knew what you meant because, if you remember, the second post you made in this thread said: "that's what I meant, Polo" After 4 people told you that you were wrong.

And why are you brining peak power into this? You realize that is a false number, I hope.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4666
You are all FCKING TARDS.... STFU...Polo//

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Allthingzaudio

A - TOWN - WEST-END, GA USA

Post Number: 26
Man there are lots of things that go into how many watts the subwoofer will handle. A lot has to do with the box it is in and if it has a port how large it is and the tuning and f3 of it.

Also you have to think how much power is actually going to the subwoofer and how clean is the signal.
Just because the sub may be wired to 1ohm and the amp delivers 1000w at 1ohm you have to know what the impedance rise is to know what the amp is seeing.
So you may put 1200w to a type r you think but it may only be seeing 475 due to the high impedence rise and the amp may be running at 2.7 ohm instead of 1ohm in reality.
By ear and testing you can hear the subwoofers limits or smell them when setting the amplifier.

Post Number: 4
yep your right Kevin v, I should just kiss your feet. The sentence of coming down to your level makes prefect sense seeing your the one calling me names. Under powering leads to other things that do cause damage like the 3 post made after mine. 2 of them said i was wrong & polo never said I was wrong & said what it leads to, like the other 2. I guess I'm going to have to keep explaining it to you. Under powering & over powering with a clipped signal would do it either. "And why are you brining peak power into this?" That was because you said "you were saying going over peak is fine". I didn't say overpowering was ok. Sorry polo but I just saying I didn't go into enough depth & he wants to keep going.But whatever this will be my last post about it.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6315
"By ear and testing you can hear the subwoofers limits or smell them when setting the amplifier."

j/w, but didn't you say you have blown numerous subs yourself because you had a shop set the gains?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1946
Good.

quote:

"And why are you brining peak power into this?" That was because you said "you were saying going over peak is fine"

Your first post involved peak power.

quote:

The sentence of coming down to your level makes prefect sense seeing your the one calling me names. Under powering leads to other things that do cause damage like the 3 post made after mine.

1. I did not call you names. I said you were sounding like a noob. A noob is an adjective that means newbie or someone that is new to something.
Don't cry too much about it, kiddo.

2. You said nothing about under powering subs CAN LEAD to blowing the sub in your first post. You just said "under powering it is the quickest way to blow it"

You corrected yourself after polo did.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
hey just out of curiousity, what kind of system are you running jj?

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2243
Subs do not blow very easily. The biggest reason to failure IS overpowering or outdoing the limits of the subwoofer. When running higher power applications (1200rms+ or so) without an adequate charging system, you can easily blow a subwoofer. When HU is at full volume the charging system is not able to always keep up and the sub begins recieving a clipped DC signal from the Amp instead of a clean AC signal. The subs voice coil can heat up pretty rapidly. Normally you will be able to smell and tell when a subwoofer is warming or getting hot and that is very bad, which can also be clipping and burning up.

As for your sub id set it around 700rms, maybe get a new sub... Under 900rms for sure because that will reduce the subs life for sure, although type rs are very tough for what they are.

And what's this talk about sugar coatin? lololol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us