DC subs vs AC subs

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 270
With gas prices so high and my car only getting 12 mpg, I don't get to enjoy being in my car as much as I want to. I've decided to take a break from car audio and try out home audio.
I assume its the same concepts. I have a few car audio subs that are not in use(Fi X's and W3v3's) that I'm considering installing in my room. However, I keep hearing rumors that when doing this, the sub does not produce as clean sound quality as most home audio subs. Anyone know more on this?

Silver Member
Username: Gibsonguy

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 237
wtf do you mean dc subs vs ac subs? you need AC to run a subwoofer. how do you think they move up and down lol?

ive installed plenty of car audio subwoofers in home audio before. if you have a good enclosure you will be fine. only problem is home audio requires much lower frequencies than car audio, so if you sub won't get low, you wont sound good in home audio. but in car audio you can usually get away with a sub that only plays above 30hz.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7886
DC sub haha. I'd like to see one of those

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 271
oh, haha guess I wasn't thinking about that. I was only thinking about the initial source.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3722
You meant DC Sound Lab subs rite.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5282
go to parts express and get a plate amp

as long as you have some sort of amp that is made for home theater you can run any sub you want.. keep in mind what ohm load they are rated though and just match your sub/s accordingly

Silver Member

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 239
may i suggest going with a behringer amp. i use one myself and im quite satisfied.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7959
dc subs arent the ones who get plugged into a dc power and ac you plug them to your wall outlet??

thats what brad warren toldme

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17399
Hey I run my 18" Q off a Dayton 1000w plate amp in my gameroom and she pounds to kingdom come. Most are sick of me posting about how much I love it lol. And a driver doesn't care if it was intended to be used in a car or in HT, they both take an amplified signal and turn it into mechanical motion producing low frequency sound waves. You CAN achieve similar satisfying results using "car" audio subs in the home. Also saving hundreds doing it. Only true audioholics with that fine ear will frown on their use, even insult them. If all you're after is the thump in music or movies you can do it loads cheaper using car subs. I'm currently running my third one.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4253
Some car subwoofers work very well in H/T and studio applications. The highly acclaimed Von Shweikert VR-S/1 has been chosen by producer Jerry Bruckheimer (The Rock, Enemy of the State, Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure: Book of Secrets) and Fox Films for the state-of-the-art JVC Screening Studios in Hollywood. MTV installed them as part of a 7-Channel discrete video playback system after comments made by Bruce Springsteen and Madonna. Mercury/Island Records/So So Def also uses them for reference subwoofers. Look what driver Von Shweikert chose:

UploadUpload

Silver Member

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 240
it depends though, certain car audio subwoofers are much better suited for HT than others. So don't expect an excellent sounding HT setup with any car audio driver. something with a lower Fs is always good when looking at HT subs.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17401
Yes but for the most part we're not talking about an upper echelon sound connoisseur. We're talking about the average Joe looking for that simple thump at home. Be it music or HT. It just has to push air and sound decent doing it.

To me the lower freqs are the ones less subjected to criticism in HT. After all if you feel it it works, right?

You've seen the infinite baffles in HT before. I wish I could incorporate one in my house.

Silver Member

Storrs, CT USA

Post Number: 241
If installed correctly in a good enclosure, most subs you can make sound decent. I haven't come across many that sounded like complete crap in a HT setup.

And you're right, if he's just looking for a little thump he will be able to get that no problem. Just after awhile he might be missing that low loud roar that you get with a subwoofer that was better designed for a ht setup. But if he has a car audio subwoofer now that plays decently low, he might not be missing much at all. The enclosure is going to be an important part of the install for sure though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17403
Correct sir.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us