Should i get L7 or alpine type r?

Username: Loudgangsta

Post Number: 6
my mind was set on type r but a few suggested i get L7.

can i get some opinions

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9281
tough call...from a durability stand point I know a guy who uses the 08 version of the l7 15's for drive by competition in meca and he had no complaints...and as far as the alpines ive read comments from two people on ecoustics about the new alpines being less durable possibly than the older ones....food for thought

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

RE MT 15 VFL 200.1 , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1726
"new alpines being less durable possibly than the older ones"

that you are right, i felt the same way

you will be VERY satisfied with the 08 L7's

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2132
Me personally,Id get the Type R.

Post Number: 7
is this a good box for it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-KICKER-SQUARE-HOLE-3-4-MDF-CAR-SUBWOOFER-BOX_W0QQite mZ360052890105QQihZ023QQcategoryZ50566QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 1729
No the kicker's love ported boxes.

Can you build the box yourself?

All you need is use of a table saw, or get lowes to cut it for you but make sure you draw full lines for all the cuts so they can make them accurate.

Then Titebond 3 wood glue, nail gun, coarse thread screws, sanding materials, silicon caulk, and a jigsaw

Post Number: 8
i have all the tools and i have some carpentry skills. but i wouldn't know where to start.

also what amp would be good for a pair of the L7? the subs will be more than what i wanted to spend but if it is that much better than the type r i'll get it.

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Ky USA

Post Number: 201
My opinion, I would look on ebay for a set of 2007 Type R 12". I loved my alpine, and im not a fan of my friends kicker L5s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1730
One of the users on here can design the box for you.

Since the Audioque is 1 ohm stable it wouldn't work for the L7's.

A good amp is the ZX1000.1

Bronze Member
Username: Maddoggvup

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 30
I love my type Rs. I beat on them and they dont even get warm

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 350
Type r's get my vote

Silver Member
Username: M0nkeyman692

Post Number: 568
it really depends on if you want sound quality or spl. because they are two completely different subs.

if you want it to sound good get the type r
my friend has the 15 and it gets pretty loud too. definitely loud enough for most people.

and the l7 is alll spl. so if you want loud then yea get that but they dont have the best sound.

also for durability its always been said that the l7 are poor builds due to the square edges. they tend to break around there and the sub blows out...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1731
"FYI, this is a purely subjective analysis. SQ has more to do with a particular individual's listening taste. L7's are an accomplished subwoofer and have done very well throughout the various SQ competition circuits. Polecat and some of the other more knowledgeable members can probably speak more intelligently about the accomplishments of the L7 than I can.

The BTL's have their place as does the L7. Given equal power, the L7's have cone area advantage. If done correctly, both will certainly be loud and probably sound pretty good."

From ca.com, again you all hate the L7's because its square like Mark said.

As durability issue I know people that run 2,000 watts DD to 1 L7 12". Don't bullsh1t me its all user error.

You all love the type r because its cheap and bash the l7 even though its much better.

Now let me tell you this, when you put a Type R up for sale you don't get sh1t for them.

Why? Because their a cheap azz sub and nobody wants them.

I couldn't sell mine for &60 shipped, thats pretty bad.

All the unexperienced chime in this thread with their crap because they don't know any better.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2437
im gonna have to agree

a friend has a pair of 04 type r's on a pg octane 1500 and it hit very well ... but they crapped out 1500 watts tore up the VCs on both of those woofers

i ran 2500 daily on a pair of l7 15s for almost a year and strapped another 2500 for comps ... and they didnt miss a beat ...

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 20896
interesting read by both mike's. you guys got me thinking of trying out a L7 15.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9285
"a friend has a pair of 04 type r's on a pg octane 1500 and it hit very well ... but they crapped out 1500 watts tore up the VCs on both of those woofers"

just so you know that Phoenix Gold Octane-R R15.0:1 was rated 1500 peak power not rms so cut that in half more than likely....so the alpines shouldnt have broke because of power....but to be fair it was probably from user error in that case

Product Details for Phoenix Gold Octane-R R15.0:1 1 Channel D Amplifier. Peak Watts: 1500 x 1 -

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3654
"All the unexperienced chime in this thread with their crap because they don't know any better."

WORD! Too many people are too quick to speak on something they have NO experience with. People are quick to answer so they can show their "knowledge". I personally will not speak on anything that I don't have experience with.

Word of mouth is a huge thing on these forums since a lot of the products are not readily available to be heard. How do you determine what is really crap and what is just unpopular? Its well known that most of us would rather have say for example a BTL in place of a L7 because the BTL is not so mainstream. Does that make the L7 crap or just unpopular?

Another example. I'm still running my a3000db. My car hasn't caught on fire.lol. I even have it fused for more than its rated for. Honestly, this is the only forum where just about everybody will say no to the a3000db. But I have talked to many other people on different forums and competitors(Zac Davis, Renegadesrun) who have run them without any problem and state that they are very good amps for the price. Take this for what its worth. These are my experiences. I'd also like to add that I was running this on an all stock electrical for a very long time due to my many problems i've had in the past with Iraggi and its still tickin.....just my 2 cents.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20899
well said jesse.

the thing is i've heard the older L7. i liked it. but according to mike the new one is much better. that got me thinking about trying one. oh and although i like the sound of the older L7, i like my revo better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9287
like any half decently built sub...how it sounds sq wise depends on the install as well....I met a guy who had an older l7 15 (I dont think it was a 12) in a sealed box and his car was an sq car...and he said he did well with it

Gold Member

Post Number: 2438
defintely not user error ... the install was perfect ...

mecp master installer .. guy has been doing installs for 25 years ...

those subs werent built well at all ... they hit well for 3 months then the coils uncoiled lol

his partner ran 4 15 l7s each on a kx2500 in a yugo and it was doing mid 50s at like 45hz

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20900
how would you compare the L7 you heard to your alpha mike? the L7 i heard doesn't come close to the sq of my alpha. it sounded good but my alpha sounded awesome.

of course my revo destroys allUpload

jimmy smith, it may seem like we are jacking your thread but we are not. you can get some ideas through our conversation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9288
"defintely not user error ... the install was perfect ...

mecp master installer .. guy has been doing installs for 25 years ..."

I stand corrected...glad we could clear that up for Jimmy Smith...(so poor build quality)

"his partner ran 4 15 l7s each on a kx2500 in a yugo and it was doing mid 50s at like 45hz"

that i can believe as well....my buddy had a yugo and his slammed....I saw a second yugo later and it slammed even better....I bet his partner had major flexing....my friends yugo had flex and wasnt near as loud as your example

"jimmy smith, it may seem like we are jacking your thread but we are not. you can get some ideas through our conversation."

agreed

Post Number: 10
i was talking to someone locally and he told me just do 1 15inch sub in the back. he said that should be enough for me. is it true?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2439
a 15 l7 on zx1000 like mike said will slam ... 3.0 cubes to 32 hz ...

chad i never had one l7 always a pair .. but i will tell u this ... my single alpha is doing a 46 on a tl ... my pair of l7s on 5k was did a 54 in the kick on an ac190 mic

and did a 51.9 on a tl in the kick

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3657
"i was talking to someone locally and he told me just do 1 15inch sub in the back. he said that should be enough for me. is it true?"

Depends on a lot of different things. Vehicle, power, enclosure, which driver you actually use.....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20903
jimmy what kinda car do you have?

anyways 1 15 L7 would be good enough. unless you want some serious bass then go with 2. but with one L7 15 with good power, you would be loud. i myself is thinking of trying one out.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1580
^^^and you could save money by no electrical upgrades!

Maybe even a CVX?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1581
x2 with mike, zx1000.1, and for the sub get a Dual 4 ohm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9289
1000 watts and no electrical upgrades....thats what 90 amps of fuse minimum plus an amp for the highs plus your cars general electrical needs....I just dont call that good to go on a stock alternator and battery

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 727
In reference to the 2 original sub's mentioned, having more experience with the L7's, I some what vote that way. They can have crazy output in a large ported box, or clean up well in a smaller sealed box. I love the 8's and 10's for single sub sealed for good output from a major sub company.

Silver Member

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 353
We are runnin 2- 15" CVX'S on 1000 wrms each. They hit hard and sound better than average.. Way better that the 2-12" 7 or L5's. CVX and L7 use same motors, I believe... Slightly less cone area but better SQ. I like the "square" subs. I run 4 of em.. I dont believe I could go back to L-anything since I got the Solo X's. I still stand by my vote for the 2-12" type R's over 2-10" L7's for output and sound. Both will work as well as many other drivers... but he was asking about type R's (previous thread) and they are great for the price... I just tend to favor the larger L7's.. If you want "square and LOUD"!

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3660
"CVX and L7 use same motors, I believe... Slightly less cone area but better SQ."

Damn square subs puttin out square waves n sh!t. lol j/k

Silver Member

LakeCharles LA., La

Post Number: 355

my jeep is kinda square....soooooo worx 4 me!

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1582
Sean- I said it COULD save him money by no electrical upgrades, not necessarily that he won't need them for sure, but less of a chance than if he was to buy 2 12" L7's w/1500w or so. I should have been more clear.

Jimmy- What vehicle do you have? Do you have/need an amp for speakers or just for sub(s)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9293
I understand what your saying SomeDonnieDude but I was thinking he would need a high amp to keep up with the subs he was looking at....I wasnt trying to attack anyone just stating my opinion....its cool man
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us