Alpine CDA-9885 Bass control

Bronze Member
Username: Clethal70

Post Number: 28
Anyone know if my unit when pressing the knob to where you select bass, treble, fader and sub woofer. Using the bass control to turn the bass for my front and rear also controls my sub woofer. Now I check the back of my unit twice to make sure I had the outputs in the right spot and they were. When turning the bass up it bring my subs up very loud, I can also turn the sub control up as well that bring the bass up. My question is that bass on the knob suppose to control the 4 channels bass as well as the sub woofer? Also did some playing around with just having the sub woofer and not any other speaker on when turning the bass control up, once I pass 1+ and up to 7+ my sub was very loud.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1219
bass knobs on the amp should not be used unless your a professional and in a competition and even then you can burn your system up. when you tune your woofer amp your suppose to have the alpines subwoofer level all the way up thats why your sub got really loud you were boosting the headunits output.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks for responding Keith, the bass on amp was set factory (kenwood kac-9103d) before I had a pioneer head unit when turning the bass up on just front and rear only affected those speakers and not the sub woofer was the only reason I was concern with the Alpine. Even if I do what your saying by turning the sub level all the way up, afterward turning the bass control will still create more bass in the subs.

Where should my amp be set at when having the sub level on the alpine turned all the way up? I've went that route before but when adjusting bass for front or rear I get more on subwoofer as well.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1226
i'm getting a bit confused at what you talking about with front bass and back. your system should be wired like this, subwoofers to amp, amp wired by RCA's to the alpine radio, your car speakers wired to the headunit or another amp.

the headunit whould have a bass level control. the rest of the settings on the alpine dictate by how your setup is, if you have your speakers wired to the headunit high pass filters should be fine to turn off, if they are wired to a amplifier you should have the low pass filter set around a 120 hz on the alpine deck. fro the woofer bass boost or any of that should not be touched only the sub level. now a bass control knob is typically a item that has a telephone like jack that runs back to the amplifer for you sub woofer not the alpine deck. if it is hooked to your amplifier dissconnect it. running a bass knob will do damage from improper use because it adjusts the gain not the volume of bass. when gains are set right none of that is needed unless say competition use. because using a bass knob is like turning the gain up and down which will cause clipping. clipping is what will burn your sub woofer up and you can't always here clipping. now to set your amplifier correctly you need a multi meter a test yone and a voltage calculator.

on the alpine deck turn everything off all eq's and bass boosts at 0 high pass filters off. now on the amp turn all the settings to 0 , high pass , low pass, sub sonic filters, gain, everything to 0, disconnect your sub woofers.

now were ready to tune the amp. hook the multimeter to the speaker terminals on the subwoofer amp, set the multimeter to a/c voltage, play the test tone at 75 percent volume, go back to the amp and turn the gain till the voltage on the multimeter reads what you get from the voltage calculator. once that's done, your done, unhook the meter put your sub woofers back. tune your amps highpass filter to around 80 hz and leave everything off even BASS BOOST. on the headunit you can turn the highpass filter back on around 120 hz if you want for you speakers. alipines decksa re diff from pioneers and kenwoods so it has to have the bass level turned all the way up and left up when tuning.

you can get a 50 hz test tone and realmofexcursion.com and burn it to a cd

you can determine the voltage to what it needs to be set at here http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/GainSet/voltage.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I think you're thinking I have a bass control knob on the amp.......Im talking about the bass control on the Alpine unit. When you turn treble and the bass up for your front and rear on the head unit, it turns the bass up on the subwoofer. This isnt my first radio I ever installed is the reason my concern was with the bass on the head unit affecting the subwoofer increase of bass.

This is actually how my setup is
2 amps, 1 mono and the other 4 channel with rear only connected on the 4 channel

4 channel and mono are connected to head unit with RCA cables and the front connected with factory wire to head unit. mono amp is connected to subwoofer output of head unit and rear 4 channel is connected to rear output of head unit

Gain on mono sub is at factory half way turned up.

Okay say I turned the sub completely off from the alpine head unit, now I want to give my front and rear bass just from the head unit alone. I push the volume knob on the alpine it give me a choice for treble, bass, fade and balance. I select bass, my front and rear gets bass. When I do that same option with the subwoofer turned on it increases the bass for the subwoofer as well as everything else.

I know what you are talking about with the phone cord looking wire that controls the bass off the amp, I dont have that, just sub level on the Alpine head unit and bass on the Alpine head unit, both increases volume to Kenwood amp subwoofer from head unit.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1233
ok thats a EQ your touching bass boost thats why, the gain should be set as i said gains don't come set on amps from the factory, wherever that gain was set on the sub amp is just from the factory when it was in testing. the bass should be left at 0 on the headunit it's boosting bass with everything cause it's a bass booster. if you want more bass with your speakers adjust the highpass filter on the alpine headunit or the 4 ch amp leave the bass alone on the deck thats a form of bass boost and can clip signal if to much is used leading to your woofer getting toasted.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1234
oh btw bass level is just a woofer adjustment, it's the output of your headunit only to the woofer. the sub amp should be tuned only when the sub level on the headunit is at max the other bass setting leave at 0

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Thanks Keith I will try those steps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us