'99 Civic Setup

Username: Xeigh

Post Number: 1
I currently own a '99 Civic EX
So far i have the Alpine CDA-9886 Head Unit. I have an Alpine MRP-F450 that i haven't installed yet (bought it because of clearance price). Eventually I plan to use that amp for my speakers.

As for the speakers, I'm in need of a little help picking the speakers that will sound right for me. I want more of a front-stage setup. I was thinking about going with the Infinity 6 1/2 REF6022I and Infinity 6x9 REF9623I.

Then for the sub, I want to get two Alpine Type-X 10' Subs and I don't know if i need another mono sub amp to power them?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6746
Infinity speakers suck big time, don't get those. Nice HU amps and subs though.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 451
skip the rear speakers..get a good set of component for the front. look into Focal, MB Quart, CDT, Diamond Audio, Alpine, etc.

whats your budget?

Post Number: 2
Budget isn't too tight. $1000 is probably most i'll spend on the rest of my system. If infinity speakers arn't the way to go then probably going to go with the Alpine Type R speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Exige

Cincinnati

Post Number: 175
Skip rear speakers - they won't be of too much use to you. Do you know what kind of sound you like? The Infinity's can sometimes be bright/harsh on ears, midbass sometimes muddy. Depends on your tastes. Have you heard them yet?

Have you looked into components? Components are much more capable speakers than coaxials. Though not as convenient (tweeter is separated from driver), sound is significantly improved.

You'll definitely need another amp for your subs. I would recommend bridging your amp down to 2 channels for front components, and grabbing a new amp for your subs. You'll be a lot happier with such a setup.

So again, let us know what type of sound you're looking for (mellow vs. bright, midbass impact vs. great midrange, etc). It'd be useful if we knew what type of music you listen to also.

Silver Member

Cincinnati

Post Number: 176
wow this thread sure lit up while i was typing lol. didnt realize all you guys had posted when i was typing.

anyways. justin you're choosing speakers based off of brand name....but not necessarily off of how they sound. bad move. think about what you want from your system and we can move from there.

Post Number: 3
Well I have spoken to someone about this before and I have actually heard basically all alpine speakers. That's why i am so inclined to Alpine.

I listen to rock music, im looking for that fast punch bass that will go with the music. Which is why i chose 10" instead of 12".

And I don't know THAT much about car audio.

Also, i have heard the Infinity speakers I was talking about at the very beginning, they sounded alright.

Silver Member

Cincinnati

Post Number: 177
12" doesn't mean you won't get "fast punch bass." it will be able to dig deeper than a 10" though. by all means, i'd go with a 12 rather than a 10" if you can. not only hitting lower, but it has more cone area than a 10".

i would suggest looking at non-mainstream companies. there's a lot of great companies that offer better products than the mainstream has to offer, often times at a better price.

for example....for subs i'd have a look at a Fi Q. www.ficaraudio.com

on a cheaper basis is something such as a Dayton Reference HO. very low distortion driver, flat frequency response, etc.

other drivers come to mind such as a SoundSplinter RL-P.

there's lots of great subs and speakers out there....no reason to limit yourself to mainstream stuff. the type x's are very nice subs though.

Post Number: 4
Well price really has no effect on Alpine, I can get the Type X subs for WAY cheap. Which is another reason I am prone to Alpine.

I will definitely look into Fi Q, they look nice. Quite expensive vs. how much i can get type x's for.

Also at the moment, i am a little worried about blowing out my stock speakers in my civic. I don't know the specs on stock honda speakers.

Silver Member

Cincinnati

Post Number: 178
do you have the stock ones amped or something? or just off the HU? i doubt you're doing any damage.

again with speakers....it comes down to what type of sound you like....mellow vs. bright, etc.....got any insight there? if you dono what i mean by bright, just let me know

Post Number: 5
At the moment all i have in my car is a HU, so all of my speakers are running of the 50w x 4ch hu. I'm afraid to turn it up too high though, would the speakers be fine?

I don't really know what bright is? like ear piercing sound?

From the advice I have gotten so far this is what I'm thinking in the end. Without looking at non-mainstream companies.

Alpine HU (already installed)
Alpine 4chan amp(only to front two speakers)
Alpine Type-R comp front speakers (i dont know if i need tweeters or not, dont really know what they are)
Alpine Type-X 10" sub x2
then a mono sub amp to power them.
Leaving the rear speakers to the HU since i dont really hear them, nor need to.

How does this sound?

Silver Member

Cincinnati

Post Number: 179
Components have tweeters....and yes you'll need them. With the budget you've got....I'd step it up on the front speakers.

Bright/harsh is ear-piercing (or just hurting your ears in general). If you listen to rock and want to feel the drum kicks...some strong midbass speakers would help out. All the stuff you've got above is fine. HU, amp, subs....I would simply grab some different speakers since you can afford something better than the Type-R's.

I'm not sure what you're getting this stuff for. After you purchase the subs....how much do you currently have left in your budget? From there we can divide the money to each component and figure out how much you need to pay for each item.

Post Number: 6
after the subs i'll probably have about 750 left.

Silver Member

Cincinnati

Post Number: 181
by all means, get a killer set of speakers then. if you want to stick with alpine and have a full alpine setup...have a look at the Type-X comps. figure out how much that will run you and then let us know how much you have left for a sub amp.

if you want to expand away from alpine for comps....theres tons of great options. just let us know. if you want alpine though, type x is the way to go.

Post Number: 7
well the thing is right now the amp i have is 90W RMS so it can't even use Type-R speakers to their full potential.

Silver Member

Cincinnati

Post Number: 182
it's a 4 channel amp..you're gonna bridge it down to 2 channels to deliver 200w per channel. you'll be powering anything you want at that rate.

Post Number: 8
Well i dont know if i want to buy comps because i dont think my car has tweeters, so i dont want to have to custom make holes.

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1672
Well to power 2 Type X's you will need 2000w RMS flowing. That mean bigger, HO alternator, more wire, possibly a better battery. You're going to need a bigger budget for that.

let me tell you, coaxials are nothing compared to components.

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 468
your not going to use your existing tweeters. if u must go alpine, the type-x's but there is better for the money!

Silver Member
Username: Ewok

Fairbanks, Alaska U.S.A.

Post Number: 133
forget this guy, he doesnt need help, he doesnt want comps becuz he doesnt want to make holes for tweeters, thats dumb, and it seems that he's pusi whip by alpine, man his not going for sq i think,

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1689
You have the most worthless statements..

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 469
"You have the most worthless statements.."
x42398423903820

Ewok...shut up
"man his not going for sq i think"
1.type something that makes sense.
2.90% of how it sounds is on the install. good install = good sound. if he wants to go all alpine then let him, its his money aint it?
3.shut up

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1694
I applaud you sir.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska U.S.A.

Post Number: 136
shut your azz up Abarca, stop kissing govmints azz, you hipocrit, come to my hood and you get smoke

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1695
Haha. E-thuggin. Yo what up gangsta?

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 475
HAHAHA you wanna pay for a ticket from south texas to ALASKA? i aint kissing govmints @ss, we just both agree on how stupid your remarks are!

chill out and learn a few things.

"come to my hood and you get smoke"
didn't i already tell you to write something that makes sense... i hate having to repeat myself.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska U.S.A.

Post Number: 137
when you guys where getting into my nerves, i know you guys was enjoying it, now you guys cant hang, whats up with that, specially govmint cheese, he likes to make fun of people instead of helping them out,

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1697
Correction, I like to make fun of you and others who pretend to know it all.

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 481
"he likees to make fun of people instead of helping them out"

"forget this guy, he doesnt need help, he doesnt want comps becuz he doesnt want to make holes for tweeters, thats dumb, and it seems that he's pusi whip by alpine, man his not going for sq i think,"

ummm explain ewok. how was your comment helpful to him?

Back to the OP, dude you got a budget of $1000 for speakers. skip alpine, dont get me wrong alpine is a GREAT company and has many great products, BUT with that amount of coin you can do a lot better! talk to Exige about CDT speakers.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska U.S.A.

Post Number: 139
okay guys, you win, but i never did pretend that i know everything about audio, maybe im just a punk sometimes, ok ill leave you guys alone,

Silver Member

Cincinnati

Post Number: 186
If you're interested in CDT, just let me know, I'm happy to help. Got a big sale on ES-62i's right now that would probably work pretty well for you. You can reach me via email at sales@exigeaudio.com ...or via PM here, or on AIM at ExigeAudio.

Post Number: 9
Well my budget also includes install. I can't install this by myself because i dont know how to. I doubt i could afford those speakers, sub, sub amp, dynomat, install, etc. for under a grand.

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 494
ok so for under 1000 you need:
-sub
-sub amp
-box
-speakers
-install misc.

is that right?

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1701
What kind of prices on those ES' may I ask?

Post Number: 10
Yes abrca you are correct.

i would love to go with comps but i dont know how much that would be to get installed, cause i couldnt do it myself. and i think i decided to go with 1 12" instead of 2 10"

Bronze Member
Username: Loudazzaltima

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 18
hmmm for good speakers i can suggest whip audio they go for about 35-45 each speaker and these suckers are loud, or some beymas, but that might be outside ur budget. and installing basic things like speakers are easy google the install for ur car and im sure someone has a vid of it

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 495
captain america is right, go to crutchfield.com or google "speaker installation" and there are many sites that will teach you a step-by-step process. to get comps installed i think its like $50 for a set.

ok but another thing. what are you trying to get out of your system?
SQ-sound quality
SPL-LOUD
SQL-a mix of both

another thing that is HIGHLY recommended, is that you build your own box, or have someone build one for you. DO NOT get a prefab box. they are horrible.

Silver Member

Cincinnati

Post Number: 188
PM'ed you Govmint.

Crutchfield's Mastersheets are some of the best money-savers around. Equipped with one of those for $5, you can accomplish your install pretty easily. They make the installs very simple, so that anyone and everyone can do an install.

I highly recommend it for $5. Worst case scenario...you're out $5. Best case scenario, you save yourself all your install fees. It all depends on your confidence level after looking at the pictures and reading through the instructions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
How hard is it to hook up a 4 channel amp?

Silver Member

Cincinnati

Post Number: 189
It's really not bad at all. Positive and negative to each speaker. RCA's from the head unit. Power wire to the battery. Ground wire to the chassis. Remote wire from the head unit. That's really about it.

Silver Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 499
its not really that hard, but its just time consuming running all the wires.

Bronze Member
Username: Loudazzaltima

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 30
if u want to do it the right way and have a clean install remove your seats and run all the power/ remote/rca cables under it. then run your speaker wire under that side skirt thing buy your door ..ill say since your new at it about 4-5 hours, but that time will fly by
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us