Dwights 2512 review/help

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

They Love 2 Hate Me, Most Hated a... USA

Post Number: 1883
Ok ill start off with overall I'm kinda dissapointed.

Well on a few songs I am more then happy with them but on about 85% of the songs I've listened to these subs were not very loud nor musical. I don't kno wether its due to my box being tuned to 40hz or my cabin frequency or what. My cabin frequency is pretty low and on the songs within tht small frequency the subs sound awesome very accurate and loud. They have more of a boomy bass then a punchy bass I like the way they sound.

But on the other 85% of the songs the bass is very low and doesn't sound like its hitting all the notes but the output is just not there @ all.

Th best song I have listened too on these subs would have to be usda - white girl. These subs completly r@pe and pillage the lows at the beggining of the song and the high notes are very loud. But I don't understand how it sounds so good on the low notes in tht song but on other songs they are terrible.

Any1 have any ideas on how to help my sound problem. Btw scott tuned the amp and all its settings to what's best for my car and setup.

As for the phoenix gold components I like the way they sound the tweeters are not to harsh they have a soft tone to them the midbass drivers aren't amazing but I think tht is due to me not properly deadening my doors. Overall I can say they are pretty darn good for 87 bucks shipped. }

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7291
What are your box specs? Is your back seat blocking off the air-flow?

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1037
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/460076.html
check out the pictures half way down, yeah the box is big for the trunk but to small for the specs of the subs

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19326
give it sometime. let the sub break in a bit.

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1038
chads right the fs will drop a little over time and they will hit alittle better once broke in like i was explaining last night

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6733
Wait, you didn't have the box built to the specs of the subs? That would be a problem........

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1039
those subs would take 5cf to be in spec, i think he said its a 3.5cf

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1111
yea dude just give the subs a chance to break in, thier still stiff at the moment...it will sound better after like 2 weeks of regular playin....

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8415
yeah they are in 1.75 cubes each...digitals site says 2.00 to 2.25 each net...tuned to 40 hz but He does seem to need some help in the higher bass to me but I didnt listen to it long and I wasnt sitting in the car...he had the passenger door open and I was standing right at the door and did feel a decent amount of air pressure down in the lower notes...young jeezy hypnotize didnt hit very loud and I know the one spot in the song hits a 54 hz note for a while...I told him if I had to guess firing up will probably sound better but I dont think he has the room with the box to do that...maybe he should try firing forward instead of back and see what happens

http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/enclosureInfo/boxSize_hiEff.asp

2.00^ft (2) 8" or (1) 12" 32.0 sq" vent x 16" long tunes to 40Hz
2.25^ft (2-3) 8" or (1) 12" 36.0 sq" vent x 16" long tunes to 40Hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1884
Uhh what kinda retard wud I be buying a custom box thts not to specs???

The box is in spec it is made to the minimum dd specs tuned @ 40 hz. I think its 1.75 cube per sub. If its not in spec then woodlawn f ucked up my sh1t bcuz I told him to build it to specs and he said he did.}

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1113
"If its not in spec then woodlawn f ucked up my sh1t bcuz I told him to build it to specs and he said he did"

^^ now now Dwight nots let jump to conclusions again...do you still have the final specs of the box woodlawn sent u thru email?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8416
honestly... if anything I think the smaller box you have them in is helping you with your weaker higher notes

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19329
just give it sometime man. alot of subs don't sound good from the beginning. after it loosens up, the sq gets much better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1885
Brah how is tht jumping to conclusions??

If I told him 2 make em to spec and he says he did and the box isn't to spec... who f ucked up then???

Gold Member

Post Number: 8417
the box being as tall as it is probably is holding it back too in output in its current position...this is one of the reasons why being able to build your own box helps...you can build another box to find that right combination in your vehicle that works if the first one doesnt work the way you want it to

Silver Member
Username: Ska

USA

Post Number: 702
Jay, have you not liked the sound of the set up since you got it? if so try retuning your amp? take a pic of where the settings are at now, so you can remember, then listen to music and retune is and maybe that will help, if now, you have the pic to go back to...

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1040
min spec is 3.5 anf i dont tkink phil messed up, he is a stand up guy

Gold Member

Post Number: 8418
My bad Scott is correct 1.75 cubes is minimum

1.75^ft (2) 8" or (1) 12" 28.0 sq" vent x 16" long tunes to 40Hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1886
Yea I didn't either they are to the minimum spec but some said tht minimum spec is 5 cubes???

And chad its not the SQ its the loudness on most songs it jus doesn't pound like 1500 watts on to high end subs should like my friends alpines on less power are WAY louder in an out of spec box and his stuff is way louder. Tht shouldn't be louder he doesn't even have a good install. Now I'm not jus judging mine by his without even hearing his it wasn't loud.}

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

The kids love my rhyme...

Post Number: 4702
Hmm... that's odd. The only complaint I haven't heard about DD is that they aren't loud. I would check to make sure everything is wired correctly for sure and that the wire from the amp to the terminal cups and the wire from the terminal cups to the subs are soundly connected. You could just have a loose wire or something.

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1041
my opinion is the box is a little tall for the sound waves to travel to the cabin, plus the trunk opening is a little small. i think it actually sound good for a trunk car. dwight your boys car, what was it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1887
98 ford tarus}}

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 867
thanks for the quick lil review dwight, appreciate it bud

for 87 shipped, I think it is worth it.

def. better than stock tho?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6739
Yeah try firing the box forward. I have a feeling the acoustics of the vehicle are whats going on here........

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1524
"Yeah try firing the box forward."

Was just about to say that. In my car, firing the sub back are not loud at all. When i fired it forward, it really came out at me. Try it out man.

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 390
maybe you blew one of the subs with your blown amp... First off i wouldnt of built a box to the minimum specs...i have always only got ok to good performance.. if thats all the room you had i would of went with one higher model 12 and built to recomended specs.. or gotten 2 higher model 10's and put them in recomended box.. saved more for the recmmended power etc... etc.. etc...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1888
"Maybe you blew one or your subs with your blown amp"
To stfu your annoying as hell every post I've made you have come n tlking and saying dumb sh1t 2 be funny. Save tht sh1t for some1 elese ma dude.}

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 391
First off im sorry you can't take a joke and i hurt your feelings...
Second im not the one who buys subs to run in its min rec enclosure and expect it to sound as good as the next guy who runs it in a bigger enclosure, a tested enclosure probably
Third i don't have to stfu

Gold Member

Post Number: 1890
I didn't kno tht a bigger enclosure means better sound. Thanx for informing me.
2nd your jokes are annoying especially when ur the only being smart.
If its within reccomended specs I dnt see what the huge deal is it aint like I have it n a prefab.
And my friends enclosure is way to small for his subs FYI.

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 394
you should take out one of those 12's board up the hole and put something to take up .75 to 1 cube and see how it sounds

Silver Member
Username: Treez

Its not loud until it ...

Post Number: 305
I think chad's right....The suspension hasn't loosened enough..Give it some time..

My idmaxes sounded like crap when i first installed them....

You should see a hugh increase in output given some more play time....

You've got some high quality subs... and you will get what you paid for!!

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4275
If he is having problems with the upper frequencies then I woudn't say it is suspension orientated. What is your HP and LP filter set to? Is your HU crossover conflicting with your amps crossover, lot of variables. At 40hz tune and you say the lows are good, then I would check into the above. BTW Every new sub I have owned has sounded good right out of the box and only loosened up a bit, some people may never even notice it jmho...Polo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1894
Idk what its set @ scott s set it for me and my headunit doesn't have a crossover to my knowledge. (Alpine ida x001) @ least if it does I can't adjust it}

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7313
I highly doubt that "breaking in" the speakers is going to do anything at all. It surely won't magically make his system 10DB louder if at all. Most people don't notice a difference from "breaking in" and lots never see a difference on a meter either.

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1048
ssf is at 30hz and hpf is at 100hz

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6754
HPF is a bit high but that shouldn't cause this much of a problem

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19345
when i said let it break in, i thought dwight was unhappy with the sq not the loudness.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19350
btw dwight, could it be since everyone thinks dd is god so you have high expectations for it. but when you heard it there was nothing that special about it so you are a bit disappointed?

just a thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1895
}Actually no I think there is something wrong bcuz some songs do hit hard but most don't has 2 be the box or settings or something

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 469
ya noob. just playin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8421
Dwights system is ok in output but nothing too impressive for 1500 rms right now. It seems to definately be unbalanced accross the frequency bandwidth and I fully think his problem is acoustics related. We all know digital designs makes a quality product so thats not in question and his box is within dd suggested specs so thats not the problem either. Right now the way the output seems to be we might be able to make it just as loud with one dd 2512. (just for comparison sake) I think its going to take testing on a meter to see whats going on and see what does what placement wise to get it right. It just proves again that vehicle acoustics plays a major roll in the outcome of your system.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19357
sean i understand what you are saying. but you make it sound like you need to set it up perfect in his car just to make it sound right.

i think something is wrong. the way his stuff is setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1896
Do you think different subs on the same power could be louder with the same or better SQ and lows if so which ones 12" two of them tht is

Gold Member

Post Number: 8422
"sean i understand what you are saying. but you make it sound like you need to set it up perfect in his car just to make it sound right.

i think something is wrong. the way his stuff is setup."

No im not saying that but I had a car that sounded similar to the way his does...im betting its acoustics

"Do you think different subs on the same power could be louder with the same or better SQ and lows if so which ones 12" two of them tht is"

no you dont need to change subs yours are good...I think we need to get your system on a meter and go from there

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1123
damn sorry to hear that bro, as u already know i have a 99 camry, and my setup IMO is loud enough for me, on all songs....but i also only have one HDC315.

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1124
but i drive with both my seats down in the back, cuz i really dont carry anybody in the back. i only usually like to carry a max of 3 ppl in my car. so i could alwys have one seat down at all times. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 8424
state...whats it like with the seats up compared to down does it sound much different...mine didnt when I had seats that folded down

Gold Member

Post Number: 1897
I ride with my seats down too I mean I personally think something isn't right on the settings of my headunit or something even tho bass and subwoofer level are @ 0 if I turn the bass up they do get louder but I only do tht during short periods of time if I'm showing a friend how loud it is or something I don't ride around like tht

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1125
i just went for took my car out for a spin to compare the difference and for me with seat down there's definetly a difference. So i tryed it with seats up, some songs with not alot of bass wasnt that impressive but songs with alot of bass eats right through the seats. Then i tryed with seats down all songs has pretty much good output then especially songs with alot of bass everything shakin and sh!t includin my body. lol thats why i like to drive with my seats down :-)

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1126
I just took **

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19358
if you want to drive with the seats up then get rid of your rear deck. :-)

i like to drive with my seats up. it just looks cleaner. of course the bass is louder with the seat down but its loud enough for me with the seats up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8427
"i just went for took my car out for a spin to compare the difference and for me with seat down there's definetly a difference. So i tryed it "with seats up, some songs with not alot of bass wasnt that impressive but songs with alot of bass eats right through the seats. Then i tryed with seats down all songs has pretty much good output then especially songs with alot of bass everything shakin and sh!t includin my body. lol thats why i like to drive with my seats down"

haha cool

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 395
D

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 396
oopps did you set your gain with sublevel all the way up? that is where the max prevolt is at example if its 4 volts than the 4 volts are at max setting if you didnt you should then play with the level it might even everything out

Silver Member
Username: Paogr

AthensGreece

Post Number: 171
With seats up my setup is 4-5 db lower than with seats down (i've metered it with termlab)... This is a big difference...

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1127
haha also im only running 1000watts thats y i prefer seats down too...haha chad u have a 2 door coupe though, i have a four door.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8428
"With seats up my setup is 4-5 db lower than with seats down (i've metered it with termlab)... This is a big difference..."

yes it is

Gold Member

Post Number: 1898
It was set with the sub level on 0...
So what your saying is if I turn it all the way up it will sound the way it is supposed too?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUBS GET ...

Post Number: 1652
When setting the gain the sub level is the only thing that should be all the way up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1899
Welp looks like scott may have made a mistake but hey we all make them but like I said if I turn it all the way up now will it sound like it should if we would have set it correctly the first time?? Like would it eqaul out?}

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 397
you should of set the gain with sublevel all the way up all eq's off example loudness the xover on hu off.. im not saying it will sound how its suppose to or how you beleive how it should but you may be able to play with the sublevel after that you might be able to balance it out

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4277
If you have your subwoofer level on your HU at 0 it will not put out its rated output. How did you adjust the amp? Polo..

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1128
^ Scott S. adjusted all the settings for him.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1900
I did not do it. . . .

Scott s set everything he set it with the bass on 0 and the subwoofer level on 0 and the volume 3/4ths of the way up.

So if I turn the subwoofer level up lets say all the way will it clipp my amp or subs?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4278
Depends how he set it. So what is the gain on the amp set to? Polo..

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 398
don't do it now you will clip your amp readjust your amp with the sublevel all the way up make sure loudness is off or any other eq

Silver Member

Post Number: 470
no

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1050
what everyone doesnt know is that your hu doesnt have a cd player and without that i cant set the gains properly. no way to play the sine wave, i had to do it by ear

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 399
um what hu does he have ? a factory? plus what does that have to do with the sublevel set at 0 when the amp was adjusted

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
download the 50 hz off the realmofexcursion site and put it on your ipod dwight.

Silver Member

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 400
make sure all eq's are off on the ipod as well

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1129
yea that HU dwight got has no cd player....what u got hook to it dwight? a ipod r ur iphone?

Silver Member

Post Number: 473
his itouch.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6131
Ok this may be a dumb question, but is your install hooked up EXACTLY like in the picks in this link?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/460076.html

If so, looks like only 1 sub is hooked up. (PS, I didnt read this whole thread)

Also, since you are using MP3 only...you are loosing ALOT of bass. That is most likely why some songs are really loud and others suck. MP3's are horrible for bass.

Try ripping one of your bought CDs and put the .wav file on your Ipod. I bet it will sound MUCH better. And set the HPF to ~80-100hz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6133
One other thing...1.75cuft per is alil small for 2500's. They like like alil more space(2.25), but if the lows are nice and this highs suck...well thats just weird. Smaller boxes usually lack lows.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6767
Agreed with everything Canaan just said, except both his subs are hooked up, they are wired together inside the box to the one set of terminals.

We're not that dumb :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6134
Just checking :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4730
I still say the connection to the terminal could be faulty. I would try the standard way and hook one speaker to each terminal.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4279
On the risk of sounding "Out of the loop", since when did factory units start getting sub level control? Polo..

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6774
It's an Alpine HU. Personally I would never have bought an HU without a CD player.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4280
Which model Alpine is it? Polo..

Gold Member

PA

Post Number: 1132
Alpine ida x001

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4281
It doesn't show a crossover but it only has a 2V pre-outs. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 514
does usb sound better than an ipod or is it the same thing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6135
MP3 is MP3...its horrible for sound quality.
Just think about it, MP3 is a compressed file.

To see what this really does to your sound try this:
-take a 600x800 Jpeg and shrink it down to 100x133.33.
-Save it.
-Open that file again and expand the image back to 600x800.
-Look at how blurry the image is now. That blurry image is the same as the distortion you get w/ MP3.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8429
I agree mp3's can sound worse but I also think his unbalanced sound will still be there

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 516
i see

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 880
very nice description canaan

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4282
It isn't the compression methods that causes the loss of quality in audio but the bitrate at which it is converted. At 256kbs there is no audible difference, nore at 320kbs to the original. You start hearing the loss at 192kbs. Polo.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19363
i usually rip all my cd's at 320kb and then put it on my ipod. it sounds great.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4283
Me2, 420 FTW -~.. OH 320 TOO.

Polo...

(Edit Ninja)

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4284
Tested Rates:
96kbs; 112kbs; 128kbs; 160kbs; 192kbs; 256kbs; 320kbs; CD Audio

It does not exist any hardware or software allowing to judge quality of a perceptual coding scheme like the MP3. Some people use a sound signal subtraction to judge, but this method, due to the exploitation of the masking effect during the encoding process, can not be valid (it could however be valid for some comparative test between encoder parameters). It is therefore necessary to process using listening tests in order to judge quality of the encoding result.

The recording used is the 8th track from the album The book of secrets of Loreena McKennitt, distributed by Warner. It was selected due to the very good quality of this recording. The track used includes a part of choruses with some little noises in the hall, a composed part of violin accompanied by piano. A few minutes after the singer's voice is added.

My tests are done by 2 listeners (including me) at different compression rates. We both know quite well this recording, and listening are carried the weekend in beginning of afternoom in order to avoid the tiring effect that could have influenced the listening results.

The recording has been encoded with the ACM pro codec up to 128kbs, then with mpeg Encoder 0.06. The decoding was done using Winamp 1.6. The samples have then been burned on a TDK CD-R.

The listening equipment is the following :

Teac VRDS 25 CD reader
MIT T2 cables
Yamaha AX 1050 amplifier
Denon PMA 960 amplifier (for frequencies <50Hz)
Celestion speakers

96kbs: The sound clearly lacks definition: as an example, hall's noises are perceived as some breath. The result is comparable to a good FM radio.

112kbs: The sound seems less present and less natural than the original. The definition is a bit less good, the voice is less clear. Attacks are less spontaneous. The spatialization is different from the original recording: the sound seems to be located more far and more lower. There is however a very noticeable improvement compared to 96kbs.

128kbs: Hall's noises are slightly less defined than the original. The violin is a bit less present and the piano attacks a bit less sharp. The voice is nearly identical to the original recording but sibilants are less pronounced. We can notice the same spatialization problem as with the 112kbs's one although there is again a good improvement compared to the 112kbs rate.

160kbs: The sound is more natural than 128kbs but the improvement is less spectacular than during the two preceding stages. The sound is different from the original, without however being possible to tell in what. I think that the difference resides more in what we feel rather than in what we hear.

192kbs: The sound is not felt as the original recording. It is however totally impossible to tell in what.

256kbs: The sound is indiscernible from the original. It is impossible to make the difference with the original recording.

320kbs: The sound is indiscernible from the original. It is impossible to make the difference with the original recording.

CD Audio : The sound of the burned CD is strictly identical the manufactured CD. This test, although it could appear useless, is however necessary so in order to insure that it is impossible that the burning step introduces differences, that would have falsified tests.

It is clear that the 128kbs rate does not produce a quality equal to a CD on a good quality Hi-Fi installation. We can wonder if Fraunhofer's institute has not made an error by limiting its ACM pro codec to 128kbs. However, in the context of a computer use, the quality is equal to the one obtained by reading an Audio CD on a CD-ROM reader. The quality at 128kbs is also indentical to the one obtained with the original CD on a mini or midi Hi-Fi installation, and on the vast majority of Hi-Fi installations in separated elements. The test equipment is indeed better than the majority of Hi-fi installations.

Conclusion : For a computer use, the 128kbs rate produces a quality equal to an audio CD. But in the case of an MP3 use in advanced Hi-Fi, it is necessary to use a 256kbs bitrate to reach an identical result to the CD sound

1998 Gabriel Bouvigne for MP3'Tech - www.mp3tech.org

Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4737
It could be the HU in this case. The fact that some songs sound good and others don't makes it peculiar. Especially when I'm sure many of those songs have tones in the same octave. I know for a fact that i get a ton less sound and quality when I use my Ipod.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4285
It could be a lot of things. It could be box placement, the fact the box is aimed towards rear is good for bass extension but bad for higher frequencies, can loose up to 2-4dbs by the time you hit 100hz. reasong being at higher frequencies it becomes more directional, the same reason why you cannot invert mids. Also it could be that with a combination of complete lack of midbass?Polo..}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us