Infrasonic filter ...

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 615
in retard terms, what does the Infrasonic filter do when u enable it on a RF amp?

did 5mins worth of searchign and came up with nothing, so i figured i'd ask the pr0's

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6116
It is the same as a 'subsonic filter'.

It is a Highpass Crossover that is set at a very low freq. It allows you to filter out the lowested freq. That way you can control the subs better and have less wasted power (on the sub-25hz freq).

Usually they are set to 20-30hz.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://www.LowDownForu...

Post Number: 3355
"Infrasonic Filter: The infrasonic (or subsonic) filter is a 12dB/octave high-pass filter designed to prevent frequencies below 28 Hz from being applied to the subwoofer from the amplifier. When activated, the infrasonic filter eliminates super-low frequencies that are potentially damaging to the subwoofer and require tremendous amplifier power to reproduce. Consequently, the filter improves performance and power handling, especially with vented enclosures."

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6644
When using a ported box the sub can easily be damaged if it plays below the tuning of the box. The subsonic filter prevents that.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 616
right that's what i figured.

so here's my next question then.
i installed my alt, did the big3, and put the RF t3000.1bd in, hooked it up to my 9515 @ 1ohm. My deck is a pio 5800mp. The bass is hitting the lower notes but cutting off on some of the higher notes, so where my comps should pick up, the bass rolls off....could this be due to the infrasonic filter? if not, is there a setting on my deck that i dont' knwo about? it's been bothering me for a couple of days now...i just dont' wanna turn off that infrasonic filter....dont' want my sub to bottom out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3357
That H/U has a subwoofer crossover. You can set it to cut off at 50hz, 80Hz, or 125Hz.

Could also be your box if its tuned low which I doubt cause you are running a 9515.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 617
yah, my lp on the hu is set at 50hz, and the box is tuned to 38hz.

let's say if u burnt out one set of vc's, how would that effect a subs performance?

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 618
not one set, but ONE vc^

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6646
Check the LPF crossover on the amp and on the HU

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4213
Also remember not to set the HU and amp cross over to the same settings, this increases the amount of cutoff the effected frequencies will see. Use one or the other. IE- If you have your LP on your HU set to 80hz with a rolloff at 12db/octave and you have your amp Lp set to 80hz with a rolloff of 12db/octave, the total cutoff will be 24db/ocatave making it extremely peaky at the centered frequency. This is why sometimes I can't stand when the HU crossovers aren't defeatable... Polo.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6650
" yah, my lp on the hu is set at 50hz "

And there is the problem. Turn that off, and set the amp's LPF to 70-80.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 619
ok thnx guys.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4220
B!tch of it is some of these HU you cannot shut the crossover off. In order to negate one of them you need to go to the amp and turn your LP as far as it will go around 200hz and just use the HU's crossover. Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 3372
^^Yep. I have a deh-480mp. You either have the sub on with the filter or have the sub off competely. I turn my amp to 120Hz and use the H/U as the cutoff at 80Hz.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 620
well i never had this problem with my hifonics bxi2006d. so i kinda figured either one of two things:

1. infrasonic filter
2. fk'd my sub up
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us