Mirrors inside box

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 875
Anyone have any expereience with this? I want to do this for my next box but idk if i should put the mirrors all around or just on the sides and bottom or what.

also would i be able to use half inch mdf in i am going the be gluing mirrors on the inside? i am thinking i want to use acrylic mirrors since they will be easier to cut.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12808
Mirrors ok. 1/2" MDF NO. I'd guess you can put mirrors on any side you want. With 1/2" MDF tho expect them to shatter and your box vibrate to death.

Silver Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 162
^lol same thing i was thinkin...

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 78
mirrors on a speaker box?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3295
I would stay with 3/4. And acrylic mirrors would be a good choice. They are tough but the are not very stiff. And use a mirror adhesive. regular liguid nails will discolor the mirroe coating over time and lose strenght.
Is this box going to have a plexi cover? Why are you putting it in? for show? or other reasons.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 876
yes im putting in plexi window and its just to show off the magnets and make it look really nice. not sure why else you would put mirros in the inside.

the plexi window will be on the back of the box so that when you pop the trunk you see the plexi and the mirrors and the magnets.

so the mirros wont really add any strength then?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3297
not acrylic. I install them at work from time to time, and they are very flexible. its only 1/8 plastic. and if you use 1/2 mdf with glass mirror, it may flex just enough to crack the glass.

again, 3/4 mdf and 1/8 plexi mirror, or 1/2 mdf and 1/4 mirror or thicker. But the cost of thicker mirror will be more then mdf upgrade.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 877
yea i know im just really tight for space and if i buy 3/4 inch mdf and 1/8 inch mirror then i am worried about mirrors taking up my valued box volume. i can also get 1/4 inch thick acrylic mirrors.

if i applied 1/4 inch acrylic mirror to .5 inch mdf with epoxy would that still be to weak?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3298
honestly, I think you will bo ok with .5 mdf and 1/8 mirror. and use a mirror glue. Someone else here did that a while ago, and also added leds inside too.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 878
well im going to be running 2 12" sx's on 1100 rms each so i want to make sure my box isint going to flex at all.
i think im just gonna do the 3/4 inch MDF and epoxy the 1/8 inch mirrors to the inside for added rigidity.
will epoxy hold the mirrors on good or should i just stick with the straight up mirror adhesive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us