Port position?

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 534
Upload

The design above is one way i have been considering of building my next box. But my only problem is that when you look through the 2 ports you can see the magnets on the 2 back subs. My question is... Would it be ok that you can see the magnets or should i put my port on the bottom of the box instead of the sides?

The box is 39" wide x 40" deep x 15.5" tall (inside dimensions). Both of the ports are 6.5" wide x 14" deep x 15.5" tall. The box is tuned to 40 hz

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1362
lol it looks like a robot smiling

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 852
thats confusing

Gold Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1044
From what I know there will be more port velocity and noise if woofer is closer to port but basically it depends on what you are looking for.. SPL??? SQ????? Vehicle,subs,power????????

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 535
Sinful Systems- I am going for SPL and its going to go into a 07 Toyota Matrix each sub will be receiving about 1200 watts rms

jesse- thats a veiw from the top of the box. the inside lines you cant see from the top but i was trying to show where the ports are located i will try and take pics in a few

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1057
Oh crap, I should have read your entire post because 40hz is most likely for SPL.... I would say its ok because with SPL you will want the port velocity over the better SQ. Try it the way you have it... JMO

Another thing you might want to try is a flared port like this one...Upload

They say if used correctly you can gain 3db over slot port...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12671
how about 1 long port at the base of the box firing backwards .....

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 536
Here you go guys this will hopefully look a little better and make a little more sense

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1058
Looks good, I would leave it unless you decide to go with flared ports.. JMO

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 538
I was considering using the flared port like you showed but i would need over 8 6" x 17" ports like that. And as for one long port at the base thats what i am trying to figure out. Right now i might just do it that way...

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1952
Looks great. Why are you asking these questions now after you have a beautiful box made?

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1059
Nice choice on subs, Are those the HD3 15's???? What amp????? You got a banger wanger there...LL

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 540
do you think being able to see the magnets look kinda crappy?

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1953
I think it looks kinda bad a** seeing the magnets.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 541
Yea those are the HD3 15's the 2 subs you see in their righnt now are going to be powered with a Hifonics Bxi2607 and the third sub will be powered with a Hifonics Bxi1607. I cant wait to actually get be able to see what kinda numbers i will be hitting

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1060
How did you figure on 8???? Most people say the 6" are too big because the opening gets to almost 9"... You might need less than you think.... I'm not sure... What is the cuft of this enclosure minus the speaker displacement and I will try to figure it out....

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 542
BCS i am asking cause i built the box and then noticed that you could see the magnets...mistake on my part

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1061
I think it looks great!!!! Those audioque/dd subs look great from both sides!!!! JMO

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1064
NO mistake for the what you are trying to do.. JMO

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 544
I figured on 8 because DJ Langford told me that i would need 5 6" x 17" for 2 of the HD3 15's

the box is 13.5 cuft. I am not sure how much the HD motors displace i think its like .22 cuft so i would say probably 12.84 cuft after displacment...

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 545
thanks BCS and Sinful Systems

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1065
Where are you located in racine???? I will be in racine in a few weeks and would like to hear it.... Is this possible... I have an EPIC-160 to get a rough estimate on the SPL if you are interested... Let me know...

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1958
Going from a pair of RL-i to three 15" AQ HD3...I bet thats a huge contrast.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 546
I live in union grove about five miles west of the interstate. If i can get the bxi2607 repaired by than we should be able too. i dont see why we couldnt. i still have to sand the box and seal the box...so i dont have any air leaks

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 547
Well i went from one HD3 to the rl-i's and now i want to go big. But yea its a huge contrast

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1066
Where do you want to meet??? Did you want me to bring the Epic_160??? Get voltage/voltage drop and spl anywhere you want it... Let me know. Otherwise I can pm you my email.. Let me know

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 549
Sinful Systems that would be really cool to meter my system. I would appreciate it if you wouldnt mind

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 550
How well do you know the area? I would love it if you brought the epic-160 if its not too much of a hastle

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1067
I just did my calculation and you can use (4) 6" flared pots each 10.72" long... Not sure if thats correct but the calculator I have for flared ports indicates this....

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1068
I used to live in racine so I know the area pretty well, well if it hasen't changed much in the last 4 years..... I have made modifications to the hookup uf the EPIC-160 so I can hook it up in about 3 seconds and placement of the mic is up to you..Kick pannel/dash

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 551
well for now i will stick witht the port the way it is if it isnt loud enough i will change it lol
thanks for all of your help.

Thats cool that you use to live in Racine. About all thats changed is the condition of most of the major roads. Do you know where Al's car audio is? What do you need to hook up the epic-160? I will probably go on the dash with the mic. Are you going to be up here for a while or just passing through?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12144
Shame you only had a few compliments on the box. Dude that's nice work. Personally I don't mind seeing the subs' mags. I prefer it.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1069
I will be there for abot a week visiting old friends and yes I know where Al's is and I don't need anything but your vehicle to hook it up...

Just curious but were you the one with the HD315 in the TCAB box in Mark's vid at Al's... If so you must know Tony then.. He is an old friend of mine....

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 552
Thanks Paul

Yea i was the one with the HD315 in the TCAB box Yup i know Tony he is the only guy i deal with when i go their unless he isnt working. Tony is a good guy. The Bxi amp is actually at Al's getting worked on. If you wanted we could probably do it at Al's...only place that i know of that doesnt b!tch about how loud it gets.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1070
When will you be ready???? Whats wrong with the bxi???

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1071
Would you like me to bring a camera to record the action? I have a camera that takes pics or vids, whatever you want, if you want them at all.. let me know...

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2263
Interesting.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 553
I got the amp and it was blown. it looks like somebody crossed the -Neg and the +Pos. I will find out more tomorrow. if you didnt mind bringing a camera that would be cool. My camera is a pos the battery doesnt last for anything. I should be ready in two weeks at the most

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1091
"Interesting."

What is interesting?????

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 554
I am also curious as to what is so interesting?

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1099
well?????

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1100
Upload

Basically carpet all around and stain the wood after removing the lines and UPC sticker. That would look sweet!!!!Mask the bent wood and paint the port!!! Just a suggestion, but it would look good!

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 556
I was going to carpet it like you said and either paint the port and do a cherry finish like you said or i was going to paint the port and paint the front the same color as my car. Not sure if i will have it all carpeted by than or not.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1059
That box looks awsome. I live in west allis. not too far away from union grove. my boss lives over there. its about 30 minutes from my work.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1101
Cherry Wood FTW!!!!

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 557
Thanks Big_edge_Head. If you wanted to come down when we meter it feel free.

I will do the Cherry

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 558
The amp will cost me 140 to get repaired. he said it should hopefully be done by the 13th.

Sinful Systems when did you plan on coming up? You know what week?

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1103
Not quite sure but will most likely be the 18-27th is when I will be there... I hope its done by then... You might want to contact Tony and see if doing it there is OK..

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 560
Yea i will. I plan on stopping in their tomorrow and asking him if its ok. By time you come up i should have the box completly carpeted and stained.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1104
Thats going to look sweet! If its not OK we can find a deserted and secluded parking lot.... Possibly right down the side street that the entrance to Al's is on. Might just have to go to the end of the street or something.... We will figure it out... Keep me up to date to make sure it will be done by then.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 561
Will do. Thanks in advance for bringing up the epic-160.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 112
hey sinful and matt. i live in west allis also. didnt know people from here were so close to me.

Silver Member
Username: Djl

Post Number: 121
Too bad you don't have around 3000 plus watts of clean power on each sub to burp with. Great job on the box.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 562
SNOW if i can get a ok from the shop we are trying to do this at you are more than welcome to come.

I plan on upgrading the amps when you come out with the larger Audioque amps. Thanks DJ Langford

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1373
That box looks clean bro.

Suprised you didnt give us build log/pics...

Lets see some more finished results after paint

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7393
put the port in yo face...

for the feel of 180s dbs.. yay

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1064
Where are you gunna be getting it metered?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7401
in his face... duh.

JK

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 563
Thanks Andrizzle. I was considering doing a build log and just never had the time to post everything. Third shift sucks...

Big_Edge_Head Sinful_Systems said he would bring his Epic-160 up while he is up hear so i could get it metered. But we are going to try and do it at Al's car audio. Just off of highway 20 in Racine.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 564
If it was 180 db's right at the port i would be deaf for a good while...lol

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1116
Did you check with Tony yet??????? Any word on the amp????? 180db... LOL... My mic is only 160db capable... but I would be curious to find out what it is at the port.. We can try to peg the EPIC-160!!!..LL

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 566
Yea i checked with Tony today and he said that we could do it after business hours and he would stop by as long as it wasnt on sunday. He also would like to know what day. The guy said he ordered the parts for the amp and they should be in on wednesday. And if everything goes good he could have it ready by next week. We could try to peg the EPIC-160 that would be sweet...lol

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 567
Oh yea...i am in the middle of sealing the box and painting the port as well as taking care of the upc and sanding out the lines. I will try to post some pics later tonight

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 572
Taking and sanding those lines off was a pain in the @ss. I had to do it by hand cause we dont have a sander...took me 1.5 hours

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1125
Thats why I use pencil and erase!!!! I would say on the 19th or the 26th. Which ever fits best into your schedule... Let me know... Any pics yet????

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 573
Yea i made the mistake of using pen. I will post pics in the morning. I didnt get a chance to and i am at work at the moment.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 575
The first pic is the port with the lines sanded off
Upload
In the second pic you can see i started to paint the one port on the left side and on the right side you can see the inside of the box where it was sealed
Upload

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1126
Nice!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 576
I should be staining the front tomorrow morning. And applying a second and third coat of sealer. I will post pics when i get that done

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1127
Sorry but the 19th is no longer availible for me... We better make it for Sat. 26th.. Is that
ok with you???? Anything new with the Amp?????

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 577
yea the 26th works for me. i will be calling the guy about the amp today

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 579
The parts came in yesterday. He said that he will begin working on repairing the amp today. Should be done by middle of next week...

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5051
yo that is a sick nasty box design. i just hope that its tuned properly and you didnt miss any minor details.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 580
whats wrong wth the box design?

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 581
I finally got some time to get some new pics up with the box being stained. Now i just need to varnish it and then its on to carpet
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1149
looking good!!!!

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1115
nice box. Are you gonna double baffle it?

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 584
Thanks Sinful Systems and Big_Edge_head

I am not sure if i am going to double baffle it ...still debating it

Like i said a little ways up in the thread you are more than welcome to come check it out for yourself

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1161
Bring your vehicles with you if you want them metered for free!!!!! It's just a rough estimate since the EPIC-160 does not go to the tenths... But still gives an accurate SPL #...

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 585
I will be creating a new thread next week and see who is interested in coming.

I will also post pics of the box when i hopefully finish it today. If you wanted me to throw you a couple bucks for any hassle i could do that Sinful...

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1165
Totally NOT necessary, just seeing and hearing your systems would be enough payment to me but if you insist than I guess that would be OK!

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 586
it wouldnt be to much but i could throw you like ten bucks or so. Well i am going to run to the store to get carpet and some glue

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1171
Will you finish it tonight? If so, post pics...

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 588
sorry i havnt been on in a few days. I didnt get a chance todo anymore work on my box since i went to the store. One of my girlfriends relatives died so i spent the rest of the night with her. I will finish the box this weekend. On a happier note the guy repairing the amp said he will have it done today and i can pick it up whenever i have the money for it.

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

Team revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 710
has nyone tried a v style port bcause im thinking the curved port wouldnt have any advantage over the v ...im considering trying the v port on my ported box for the resonant engineering

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7543
^^^that was me...has anyone tried a v style port because im thinking the curved port wouldnt have any advantage over the v ...im considering trying the v port on my ported box for the resonant engineering 12

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 589
The only difference i see is that the port gets larger faster so you would have more port area. I am not sure how this would effect the tuning though. I am sure there would be some changes to the tuning. Would you be doing the entire port in a v shape or would the v be the last part kind of like the curve port pictured above?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7547
the entire port would be a v shape with sufficient port opening in the begining of it...it would make the port wider but less depth also this way......they way I see it Id only need to calculate the square inches of the port to match up my tuning to a program....but only real life testing would tell me if im right I guess

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 596
well if the entire port is in the v and you have the correct amount of square inches it shouldnt effect anything. But like you said only real life testing will tell.

I will be finishing the box today. just need to wait for the garage to warm up. I will post pics later.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
dude i might be interested in going to this. but idk id only go if big_edge_head came along.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUB...

Post Number: 1176
Im down for going. Just let us know when you will be doing it

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1219
Sat. 26th

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1220
Time will be in late afternoon, up to Matt!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1178
damn. i work 9-5. :-( if its later than that, that would be awesome, if its around that time i can go after i get off of work. or possibly try and leave early

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1221
Well Snow.... you comming then? It will be somewhere between 5-8 i assume. Big Edge Head.... You work saturdays????

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1222
oh yeah, Matt.... The box done yet????? Post Pics Please!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
oh wait nevermind. cousins wedding that day. cant go... :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1180
yea i work every saturday. i can show up then after work if its between 5-8. Where is it exactly?

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
do it another day so i can go. haha

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1226
Post 100 in this thread!!!!!!!!!!

Al's Stereo in Racine... Matt said he would make another thread to see who else ic comming....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1182
alright sweet. im pretty sure ill stop by even if you cant make it snow. does this place have a TL?

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1227
"does this place have a TL?"

No! I am using my EPIC-160 to meter his system, we are just doing it at Al's so we have a place to be loud without any complaints!

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
f*ck i wanna go.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1229
Are you still coming Big Edge Head???? even though there is no TL.... Are you bringing a vehicle to meter???? Please let me know in advance so I can prepare accordingly... Anyone planning on comming please state so and if you plan on getting your vehicle metered than I will ask to know in advance.... Thank you!

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 597
here you go guys i finally got the chance to get the pics loaded. Enjoy!!!
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1234
Told you!!!! NICE!!!!!!!!!!! FTW!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 598
My carpet job isnt the best but it looks prettty good i think. It was a b!tch to wrap the carpet onto the 3/4 part by the ports

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin IF IT DOESNT...

Post Number: 1240
That looks awesome man. What time are you gunna be at the shop tomorrow? I get off of work at 5 and could be there by 5:30-5:45. Im not sure if my friend snow is gunna be able to make it but ill find out.

What is the name of the place again? Al's Stereo?
Are you just gunna be getting it metered?

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin IF IT DOESNT...

Post Number: 1247
BUMP

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 617
sorry man. I just got a call from the guy that was working on the amp and he just informed me he didnt get it done. He could have called and told me this like a week ago.

But yea he didnt finish the amp so i dont have a amp to use and i dont have the money to go out and by a new amp

Sorry guys. We are going to have to try a different weekend.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1268
Thats fine just keep me posted!!!!!

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 619
how far away do you live Sinful?

Silver Member