Head Unit is sinking in

Bronze Member
Username: Glinkov

Post Number: 18
It appears that, five months after installation by a car shop, my head unit is sinking in and that the dash kit seems to be ungluing. Was glue the right thing for them to apply (its like really thick dry glue now)? What should I do to better keep it in place and to protrude it out of the dash like it normally should be?

Also, an aside, I am thinking of undertaking a complete car audio installion myself (screw those car shops that charge through the roof) but I need some good reading material to guide me through? Can anyone recommend websites or great books to read? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 150
No, glue was not right at all. What kind of car do you have, did it have an original bracket on the sides of the radio, a dual pin type cassette deck, or a flush mount to it? Either way, you should try to either use a flush mount kit or make a bracket to hold the head unit in place. What kind of installing are you talking about? Like simple amplifier hookup and speaker connections, or competition type, such as custom sub boxes, speaker enclosures, etc.?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I have a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe. The head unit seems secure in its new double din bracket, but the whole bracket (with the HU) looks to be sinking. And around that bracket I can see that they applied glue.

About the self-installation, I'm planning on putting a good component set up front and one 12 inch sub in the back (i'm not looking to create my own box), and then run them with a 4 channel amp. Can I undertake this project on my own, having no prior experience with car audio or car electronics? What book or website should I follow?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 162
You may have to take the dash apart and check the mounting bracket behind the dash. It sounds like your installer got lazy, as a Honda dash is a lot of work to totally take apart. He could have glued it because he may have used a universal double din mounting kit, and it may have not fit the car's stock mounting bracket. The best thing is to try to use the stock mounting bracket for your head unit if possible, and go to a junkyard and get the factory din pocket to fit underneath the head unit. You can definately undertake the install project. Really, it's not that hard as long as you aren't a futz with a power drill and screwdrivers. The biggest thing is patience to route wiring and do it the right way. Do a google search for something like "2000 Accord Stereo install" or amp install, whatever your project will be. It's better than buying a book and shows detailed pictures, instructions, and advice for your specific car. No book can cover every car.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Is the stock mounting bracket the same as a kit? What is a factory din pocket? Should I just go pick up a specific honda mounting bracket and redo the mount? Because I can see that the bottom screws from the stock radio should prob. be secured in the new mounting bracket (or kit) but they're not. A honda bracket should fix this problem right?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 184
Yeah, try to find a Honda factory mounting bracket. The kits are universal, as the one you have probably is, explaining the glue. Yes, try to use the bottom screws and see if it helps. Honda's that didn't come with a factory cd player used a storage pocket in that place under the radio, you can try to find that in a junkyard.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I think I found one. It's a Honda Accord installation kit w/pocket 1998 and up (serial number 99-7895) on the website http://www.installer.com/cars/honda.html. Would you please check this item out and tell me if this is what I need. Thank you.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 187
That'll do it. Get that and it'll fix your problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thank you so much Jon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us