Whats RMS really mean?

Username: Mpax4059

Post Number: 1
Put it in words of someone who hardly knows anything about speakers..... I just got a 175 Watt pair of speakers for Christmas. And I want to know what RMS means.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4999
How many watts of power your speakers can take. RMS power can also be called continuous power, as opposed to peak power which is a pretty much useless spec. RMS is always the numbers you want to look at, peak means nothing.

Post Number: 2
So how do I know how much power my CD player can put out? How do I know if I can blow out my speakers or not? I dont want to, but I would like to know how I know how much my speakers can take.

Bronze Member
Username: Exige

Post Number: 30
root mean square is what RMS stands for. your cd player (head unit) can put out about 18w x4 channels. an amp can put out much more than that. you can blow your speakers in different ways.....for example....you could straight up blow them.....pushing them beyond maximum excursion, which in turn means heat is not going to dissipate fast enough.....or clipping them....which is essentially when your amp can no longer put out clean current. this heats it up as bad current (in beginner terms) sits on the voice coil and does nothing except cause melting via heat.

how much power your speakers can take depends on their RMS rating.

Post Number: 3
From what I saw on the website of my speakers, the specs say 22-RMS

http://mobile.jensen.com/jensen/JensenProductDetail.do?ACTION_TYPE_ID=ACTION_TYP E_PRODUCT_DETAIL&ACTION_CATEGORY_ID=STR_CATEGORY_SPEAKER&ACTION_PRODUCT_ID=JPS36 5

But my CD Deck says

Amplifier max output power / channel qty
50 Watts x 4

And

Amplifier continuous power / channel qty
22 Watts x 4

(Which I assume is RMS, seeing as its continuous power)

http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car-stereos/kenwood-kdc-mp225-radio/4507-6729_7- 30771464.html?tag=specs

So judging by my Kenwood deck, even with the volume all the way up, I shouldn't blow out my speakers. Am I at least somewhat correct?

Username: Schultzy1087

Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 6
Yeah, its nearly impossible to blow out any sort of aftermarket speakers with an aftermarket deck. Typically the deck will put out 18-28 watts RMS. Not to mention that the wire running from the deck to the speakers is only enough to power stock speakers and a stock deck, so even if you could push enough amps through, it would get lost in the transfer to the speaker. You have nothing to worry about.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5007
Yes that will work fine
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us