Crackling Speakers (Fades in and out)

Username: Djmomar

Post Number: 1
I have a 1994 Toyota Corrolla, stock.

I recently upgraded my car system with
Boston Acoustics S45 (all 4)
Sony CDX-GT710

I had a best buy associate install everything.
When I went back in to check the wiring I didn't see anything wrong with any of it.

The speakers crackle only on the low sections (referring to Bass) however sound continues to escape the speaker.

It's odd, the crackling will come and go and is usually in the left rear speaker. But it some times moves between all 4 speakers.

Currently there is no external amp or sub.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5621
sounds like either the wiring like a bad connection. or it might be the speaker bottoming out from to much bass. on your HU try setting the high pass filter

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply.
For the wiring, do you mean the connection from the speaker to rest of the car or the wiring in general?

Bottoming out?

I don't recall a setting for HPF. I know there's a LPF for the sub/low end. Could those be used interchangably?

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5624
just the connections for all the speaker wire.

and for the HPF i would just look in the manual to see if your HU has one. it cuts off the low sub frequecnys that will go to your speakers and they cant handle the bass. so they might be bottoming out and give you a kind of popping sound. but a crackle sounds like a bad connection.

Post Number: 3
Well I checked. My HU only has LPF.
I tried switching that and it sounded like it helped but it probably didn't haha.

So it sounds like so far the best idea would be to tear each speaker out and rewire it.

Right?

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5634
well i wouldnt go as far as taking them all out yet but just check the connections going into the speaker and stuff first.

also if it is only one speaker its possible that its damaged.

Post Number: 4
hehe,
i wish it were just one speaker.
But it at times will move from back to front and then to the back.

At the start I thought it was the driver rear and so I replaced it. Eventually the noise came back.

I'll try this first.
Thanks

Post Number: 5
So my friend gave a good explaination.
He checked the wiring and the quality of the cone and said it was all good.

The best thing he could figure out was the wiring between the tweeter and the magnetic part, that it had come loose from heat and wear and was vibrating against the cone.

I don't know if this is viable or not but it sounds logical.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us