Router Bits

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 365
What Bits do you all use for cutting sub holes.

I've been using a 1/2" straight bit and it cuts super slow. Any oppinions on 3 Flute Upcut Finishing bits.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 1...

Post Number: 5354
What router do you have?

I just picked up a 1/4" downcut for my PorterCable and ordered a Jasper Jig. I'll tell you how it does as soon as the jig gets in.

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 353
If I'm cutting holes with the jasper jig, I use a 2 flute carbide 1/4" bit on a DeWalt DW621 Plunge Router.

Best D@mn 2HP router you can buy for the money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5355
I'm just running a Porter Cable 6902 w/ the 1001 base. 1.5HP, but gets the job done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
Yeah, I bought the porter cable router kit that has the fixed base and the plunge base, but, I rarely ever use the plunge base for it though.

Actually, I'm seriously considering selling it since I don't use it all the much since i bought another fixed based Dewalt 1 1/2 HP router.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 957
Oh yeah? Well im running a Skil jig saw and a craftsman skill saw.

lol

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10525
Bosch makes a good jigsaw/router/whatever as well.

To each their own.

Silver Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 308
Go with a smaller diameter bit. Id recommend a 1/4" bit in place of that 1/2" bit. It will remove less material, which will also be less stress on your router.

Even go with an upcut spiral bit, I just started using one about 6 months ago, and I will probably never go back to a regular straight bit.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12044
I use a commercial grade porter cable router with carbide bits. the bit I use depends on the type of opening I want. That is to say, counter-sunk, beveled, etc.. I have a decent collection of bits to choose from.
I used to run a sign shop, and had a computerized router/engraver table (4x8') that required a lot of this same hardware, so it's been handy to keep.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 367
I couldn't find a 3/4" depth straight bit for 1/4" diameter so i bought the 1/2" and it bogs down my router. Do they sell 3/4" depth 1/4" diameter bits? or shoud i just get an upcut... what brand upcut did you get vortec?

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
The router bogged down ?????

Were you trying to make a full cut thru the entire thickness of the material???

Gold Member

Post Number: 5356
Lowes has 1" depth 1/4" bits (up and down-cut both). Make 2-3 runs if you are bogging down.

I just got a Bosch bit yesterday.

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 117
you could call select products they offer every thing in the world for installs and install tools. They have bits i have never seen before. Before i started RD AUDIO, i owned two shops and i got all my install stuff from them.
there site is www.selectproducts.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
Best place I found to purchase router bits is here:
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/loadpage.cgi?1150823845_31648+home.htm

This place just about any router bit you can think of and their prices ain't bad either.

Bought from them many times and they sell a good product unlike some company that sell cheap azz bits that aren't worth a sh!t over a period of use.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us