Over powered BL or underpowerd BTL?

Silver Member
Username: Mercsable

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 147
which would sound better on 2000w, (amp is bxi 2006 so i may not get all 200), BL or BTL. I ask this because most ppl give BTLs more than the 2000 and i might only be getting 1800-1900 anyway, but I didnt know if a BL getting plenty of power would sound as good.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1451
figure youll get about 1600 (at least) id get the bl....the btl can be a daily sub if you get it equipped correctly, but i think the BL would be your absolute best bet

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 148
alright i think ill go with the BL, Im looking for SPL so what options should I get for it?

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2181
agreed 137%...

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2495
Fully loaded BL on a Hifonics BXi2006D would sound good.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11992
i too would choose the BL ..

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1630
i'd buy the btl

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1631
but im a loser and every1 else has more posts than me anyway!!!!! they have better advice i think

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1457
loser^^^^^

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1632
i kno wtf was i thinking. its totally obvious 1600 watts is underpowering a btl. *slaps himself in the face*

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 149
Aight thanks for the help Ill be ordering it shortly and posting a video. hopefully you guys have steered me in the right direction.

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1635
lol so what are you going with?

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1636
just because "most people give their btl's 2000" doesnt mean its safe to throw 1600+ at the BL. i dont know how experienced you are but u can EASILY blow a BL on that amp if you fool with gains, or bass boost. i honestly would go the safe route and go w/ btl. but ur choice. BL's a great sub too

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2182
a fully loaded BL is rated at about 1600watts.

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1638
ook

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1639
ook. so a fully loaded BL would be louder than a BTL on 1600-2000 watts?

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 975
i'd go with a btl with a 3rd magnet and hi xmax option. it is a real efficient woofer and will take whatever that hifonics will throw at it.

and there's always room for an upgrade...

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 150
So the bxi 2006 might be too much for a BL?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11996
y not simply email with FI owner scot - he's the best man to answer ur concerns ......

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1640
u said spl so im debating whether a fully loaded BL will be as loud as a BTL but yea email scott i guess

Silver Member

Post Number: 977
i asked him if i could put a kicker zx1500 to a fully loaded BL and he said it could take it if you knew what you were doing and was careful. if you REALLY know what you are doing then you won't destroy your'e BL.

but on that amp i can almost guarantee that the btl will be louder. so if money is no option then get the btl for sure

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1641
"but on that amp i can almost guarantee that the btl will be louder. so if money is no option then get the btl for sure"

x2

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 151
ok so BTL it is, and like someone said earlier, room for upgrade if I get a bigger amp.

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1643
if you dont mind spending the extra money then its a no brainer

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2496
You can put 2000RMS on a Fully loaded BL if you know what you are doing.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 228
I put a loaded (pre-bp option) BL on a 2006d in my brothers truck. We set the gains properly and haven't had any problems. I would just make sure you set your filters/gain properly. That amp does push the BTL ok, but if you don't intend to upgrade amp, go BL

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4320
The BL will get louder than the BTL on less power due to a more loose suspension.

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
"The BL will get louder than the BTL on less power due to a more loose suspension."

gonna have to disagree. before i purchased my ssd's i asked him if it was alright to feed them 550w a piece and he said that all of his woofers, ESPECIALLY the BTL are super efficient woofers. he told me that even on half power his speakers could play very well at the 50hz and below range, but if you power them properly then they shine just as well at frequencies above 50hz.

sorry to add to your indecision, but you could bet a bl now, and then buy another hifonics later and put another BL on it and that would definately be louder than a single BTL on that power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4331
""The BL will get louder than the BTL on less power due to a more loose suspension."

gonna have to disagree. before i purchased my ssd's i asked him if it was alright to feed them 550w a piece and he said that all of his woofers, ESPECIALLY the BTL are super efficient woofers. he told me that even on half power his speakers could play very well at the 50hz and below range, but if you power them properly then they shine just as well at frequencies above 50hz.

sorry to add to your indecision, but you could bet a bl now, and then buy another hifonics later and put another BL on it and that would definately be louder than a single BTL on that power."

You're entitled to your opinion.I'm glad it's just an opinion though because what I posted was correct.The BTL has a stiffer suspension because it needs to be able to handle higher power applications and so it takes more motor force in order to get the that excursion going.Go ahead and E-mail Scott about it or talk to any knowledgeable person and they'll tell you the same thing.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 767
It doesn't matter Craig, Within a few months your tinsels are going to be killing your sub slowly.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 3980
"ESPECIALLY the BTL are super efficient woofers"

yea?!
SUPER DOOPER EFFICIENT??

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
wtf...
I drive over 50,000 miles a year, so I play my subs a lot. I've been blasting my btls on 4,000 watts daily without a single hitch since around december/january. If you know what you're doing and set your filters correctly you will be trouble free. My brother has been giving his BL around 1.5-2 times the power it's rated for without a problem also. Now set your SSF to 25hz and tune your box to 40, ehhhhh get ready for problems.

Plus most people do this while powering a woofer rated for 1000 with 2000, or stupid crap like that. Set your filters right and you will have no problems.
Here's a few pics of one of my btls. I took it as I was typing this and you can see the piece of felt is hardly even matted down.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 768
Troy, your tensils have nothing to do with what you just said. A known problem with Fi subs is tinsel slap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
Upload
That's months of use/abuse.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
Yes it does. People overpower their sub, while playing it way below tuning and wonder why they have a 'slap' noise. Maybe I'm wrong, but I will stand firm that almost all of people who have had problems are doing something wrong.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1235
Rob is on the money.

Kevin

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 14823
kevin get back to the game. lol.

rob is right. btl takes some power to get them moving. i fed them 1000wrms each before and it wasn't that loud.

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1651
THANK YOU chad and rob.
btl's have a stiffer suspension whereas the Q and BL are designed for lower power apps and its gonna get moving easier. however if ur set on a btl, go stock it will be more efficient but im still gonna say a bl would beat any type on btl on 1600 or so watts

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3230
Compared to when Chad was running 2k total to both his btls and when I was running 2k total to both my hd3's. My hd3's were louder (by ear). But by ear, Chads btl's weren't loud at all. They need more power. They IMO, are very unefficient with low powered amps. Not to say anything to you Chad :-). But give them 3-4k and they will shine. Get a BL.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14825
yep. berny heard my car when i only had 1000 wrms going to each btl. it wasn't loud at all.

berny i will be at chad geary's place this saturday.

Silver Member
Username: Fearthisskyy

Dallas, Texas United states

Post Number: 425
if you plan on upgrading amps and electrical, btl, or else i would just get the bl and you shouldn't be dissapointed

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 426
The Fi forum is the best place to get Fi specific questions answered by the Fi crew.

And the tinsel lead slap has mostly occurred from people pushing the sub past its limits or below tuning, it is a common problem for people that usually do not know what they are doing. If it was a defect, there is no way that a sub built to order, that has the available option to have attached leads, would continue to be produced.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4346
"And the tinsel lead slap has mostly occurred from people pushing the sub past its limits or below tuning, it is a common problem for people that usually do not know what they are doing."

Actually...this problem has happened to lots of people running Fi recommended enclosures with recommended RMS power levels and with running clean power.It's all good though,lots of people have turned away but I'm sure Scott will change it up a little bit.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5860
"And the tinsel lead slap has mostly occurred from people pushing the sub past its limits or below tuning, it is a common problem for people that usually do not know what they are doing."

<<<has no tinsel slap

fyi

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14827
never had tinsel slap myself. had the subs for 8 months and really pushed it.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6646
ok ladies...

this is my opnion..

i will chose the bl...

why???

bl:
will run cooler without any stress

it will handle the power with no problem since it has efficiency of 90.6dB and well it will use the power u want to give it nicely...

underpowering subs DOES not damage a SUB so it will be fine as long as u give it clean signal..

you can be prepared for the future if you want to run more power...

fi ssd:

you will be pushing the sub too much

you will be overpowering it too much causing to built alot of heat on the voice coil that will be dissipating trough the cone...and likely the voice voil will blow

it is alot less efficient that the bl... 87.6dB (almost 3db less efficient) so both of them with the same power will almost sound equally loud but the bl will run safer and be ready for MORE...

you will avoid the tinsel slap that most people have even that i think is a myth and will happen to whoever use the sub in the wrong applications...

Zpeedy

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5861
hate to rain on your parade lilrob, but its between the BL and BTL, not between BL and SSD.....good info none the elss

Gold Member

Post Number: 4350
"hate to rain on your parade lilrob, but its between the BL and BTL, not between BL and SSD.....good info none the elss"

That's exactly what I was thinking.I just try to pretty much ignore sh1t sometimes.Actually I just flat out ignore things a lot of the time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
"Actually...this problem has happened to lots of people running Fi recommended enclosures with recommended RMS power levels and with running clean power.It's all good though,lots of people have turned away but I'm sure Scott will change it up a little bit."

Denim knows what he's talking about. Again, you can put it in the right enclosure but if you play below tuning with poorly set filters... eh. I'm sure you know from loads of experience with the subs though.

And most people do exactly like this thread states, give a 1000rms sub twice that. I wont even start to debate 'clean' power when I read all the 'hot bl/btl dust cap' threads.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4353
"Denim knows what he's talking about. Again, you can put it in the right enclosure but if you play below tuning with poorly set filters... eh. I'm sure you know from loads of experience with the subs though."

Well,these people that don't know how to properly set their filters don't have problems after dropping in other subs so...maybe they should come with "How to" instructions on setting the low pass and high pass filters special for Fi subs based upon recommended enclosures.

Silver Member

Post Number: 988
i am an fi owner and i agree that there are tinsel slap problems. but it's nothing that can't be fixed or avoided. i think it is worth saving 200 bucks and buying FI and then have to deal with tinsel slap problems.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6648
get the btl is the same thing i did put the bl in the ssd descrption change the name and the efficiency rating and the tinsel problems and change the bl tot he btl same thing...

chose the btl

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14829
"The BL will get louder than the BTL on less power due to a more loose suspension."

this thread should of ended after that remark. rob couldn't be more right. before i bought my btl's, i asked scott and he told me i need some power to make these subs move well. yes they are efficient but not with that kinda power. you are better off with the bl than the btl. why do you think bl was even created? if the btl can move well with less power than the bl is useless.

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 152
Ok Im not really sure what it means to tune it too low? How do you know what is too low? Is it compared to the tuning of the box?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us