Need to get equipped for component install....

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Ascendant Audio Arsenals, Chicago Ima graffiti...

Post Number: 1630
Gonna be putting in a set of 6.5" PG Rsd's and a sundown sax100.2, and i have a couple newb questions, please go easy on me :-)

1. Does this amp kit have everything i need? 10 feet of spkr wire doesn't seem like that much. http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLM-K4

2. Do i NEED a distribution block to run a comp amp in addition to my ednine.1? Or does it just make it easier? Which one should i get? http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Distribution%20/%20Fuse%20 Blocks

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2598
You will need more than 10 feet, but how much you need depends on where you install your x-over and amp. Other than that, I think the kit has everything you need.

You don't NEED a distribution block, but it makes the install easier because you won't need to re-run a power wire through the firewall and under the carpet. I would just grab the distro block and run it off your existing power wire... then you will have extra power wire left over that you could use on something else (i.e. big 3 if not yet done).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1631
yeah i definitely don't wanna run another power wire, so distro block ftw. How many feet of speaker wire should i get in order to have plenty? don't wanna come up short.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 14714
what gauge is the existing power cable? also what kinda sub amp do you have? there's a chance your sub amp needs all of that power cable. if that is the case then you have to run a thicker cable to split for 2 amps.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4058
"yeah i definitely don't wanna run another power wire, so distro block ftw. How many feet of speaker wire should i get in order to have plenty? don't wanna come up short."

You can't just do that.Your wire is only meant to handle so much current.So if your wire is up to the task then you can add a distro and split it.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4929
i would get some stuff from hifisoundconnection.com speaker wire is really cheap i would just get 40 feet that way you will have plenty. and its so cheap its not a big deal. i would get a little more if you plan onkeeping the xovers by the amp.

also yeah what size power wire do you have?

and you will need a set o RCA cables.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3229
Yep, putting components is where the real test is! I have my Cadence CVL 5k and 6k's coming tomorrow and I have to wire it all up, lol. Now I know why I waited for that until last! Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 512
not to jack a thread but what's a rouh estimate on what you guys have paid for them?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1634
My power wire is 4 gauge. I'm runnin an Ednine.1 to 2 aa arsenals. but up to this point i've been runnin the amp at 4ohms cause my stock components are so phucked up that even at 4 ohms the bass can drown out the vocals n' stuff if i turn it up.

I'm thinking you guys are probably gonna say i need to upgrade to a heavier power wire, and i'm sure you're right :-( To be honest all this sh!t just stresses me out cuz i don't have anyone to teach me this stuff in person. All my friends who have aftermarket stuff are pretty typical newbs. The best system outside of mine is 2 L5's in a box so tiny i think it jumps off the floor when the bass hits.

I tried to talk to one of my buddies about the install to see if maybe he could help, and when i started talking about whether my power wire was big enuff or not, he was like "you're probably gonna need a cap for more power"....so yeah. I may be a newb to installs but you guys have taught me enuff basics that i know better than that.

I wish someone would make an install vid and edit it so it was really detailed and showed exactly how to do everything. I dunno what i'ma do.

sorry to go on a rant:-) seriously you guys are really helpful, i appreciate it.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 14716
i'd do a 0 gauge to the back and split that. that ednine requires a 4 gauge cable. besides once you amp the components, you will want more bass.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3200
My friend is in the same situation. Since he is running a kicker zx1000.1 and a kicker zx250.2, he still needed more than 4 gauge, So I got him some knukonceptz 0GA KLM, which was pretty cheap and it can stand up to enough current which is more than he needed. I also got him a fuse distribution block that has 0ga in and 2 0-4ga outs. Upgrade to 0ga

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 516
if u need to i can show a quick vid of my distro and so on but i only have 4 g myself being tht i'm not workin, i'm makin it all work out. just let me know what u need i'll make a detailed vid to help you out a bit but all my stuff i installed already. it be kind of a look at what i did and heres where this and that goes. btw i don't have comps yet thier just regular coaxils.

p.s. my hifonics brutus just zapped me twice and it hurt like a bitttch

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3232
Funny to read this sh!t but I remember when we ran 12ga wire for power, lmfao! Back then we were clueless about power draw but then again the amps usually were like 120W...Now I feel old, lol. Hey dude I work in Romeoville maybe I can take a look at what ya got and give a few pointers? Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4939
just run 8g for that amp, but you would be better doing a new run of 0.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us