Alternator Question

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 645
By not having a HO alternater. On really hot days i noticed everything heats up extremely fast and my subs keep cutting out all the time. but then at night time when its cooler i can actully play my system without a problem most the time. I have a 85A alternater in a 2002 galant with zx1500.1 amp with 2 12" kicker l7's. Everything dims like crazy i did order a HO alternater tho a 200A alternator for my car should be getting it in a week or so. I just hope thats the main reason why my system always cuts out thinking maybe my alternater now just cant handle the power and then just gets everything really hot and cuts out. Does this make sense??

Silver Member
Username: Explictx

Glen Burnie, Maryland USA

Post Number: 266
Yeah to me it makes sense, also from it just being hot outside it gets hot in your car and the amp will get someone hot from the hot air.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 646
bump

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 647
bump

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 649
bump again

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1552
also i no when alts get hotter they creat less power. so in the day its really hot so the alt doesnt make as much power so the amp isnt getting as much power so it cuts out sometimes. but at night when the alt is cool it makes a little more power cuz its cooler so the amp doesnt cut out...

i could very well be wrong its just a theroy

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1558
not to thread jack, but hows the massive holdin up on you bud?

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 650
yea that makes sense tho so im hoping its really just the alternator guess i will find out in like a week when i get it. Any other opinons would be great to

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 651
bump

Gold Member

Post Number: 1553
trey the amps is working great. Im only running it at 4ohms though cuz the 2.5's wont handle anything more. I bought a 9515 that is gunna be powered my the P3000.1 it should be here by the end of the month. But ya i love the amp does a rly good job.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1390
"also i no when alts get hotter they creat less power. so in the day its really hot so the alt doesnt make as much power so the amp isnt getting as much power so it cuts out sometimes. but at night when the alt is cool it makes a little more power cuz its cooler so the amp doesnt cut out..."

do u think the hotness of the alternator affects how many amperes it puts out?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1554
ive heard from a couple of ppl that when an alt gets hot it puts out less amps then when cold. I could very well be wrong though like i stated above.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3193
Its true. I read it somewhere, but yeah there is a reason. Also you can test it out. I do notice that on hot days I get less amperage out of my alt, and on cold nights/days, I get less voltage drop.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3140
HO alternator should fix that right up. If your alt is rated for 85 amps, it may only do half that at idle, meaning your drawing WAY more power that it can supply.

And yes excessive heat can reduce alternator output a little. Cooler is better, to a point.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 652
so with the HO alternator will my system actully sound cleaning and louder to??

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 474
a quick two cents and only goin by my basic knowledge from rc motors which are built much like a alt. what i'm seeing it like is this, there is coil woundings that spin on a shaft generating your power. on hot days those windings expand creating friction and drag. on the hoy days it heats up causeing power loss. when cold they run at thier average temp and everythings peachy. i also feel that like a computer it can run better hot meaning average temp hot. and to cold can take away power to. thats just my opinion, hope this sheads some light on things for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us