What kind of box?

Username: Chriscf817

TX

Post Number: 3
i have 2 kicker cvr's 12's in my 99 mustang. i barely got them this past weekend after selling my audiopipe ones. when i hooked the kickers i thought they would make a big difference but it wasn't as big a difference as i thought.
maybe my expectations were too high?
i have a u.s. amps xterminator 1600.2 bridged at 1100 watts rms. the kickers are wired in series and since theyre 4 ohm they are a 8 ohm load.
since the mustang's trunk opening isnt as big what kind of box should i get to really make it hit?

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1034
Let's get the wiring figured out first. Those are 4ohm dual voice coils subs? You can get 2 DVC 4ohm subs wired to an 8ohm load. You can only do 1, 4, and 16ohms...what's wrong in the info you gave? They may not be slamming if they're not getting enough power. As for the box, get 2 cu ft per sub box tuned in the mid 30s. In that box they'll only need 300W, not 400.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1035
^^^^I meant to say you CANNOT* get 2 DVC 4ohm subs wired to an 8ohm load.

TX

Post Number: 4
the kickers are 4 ohm dvc and each is wired in series so i'm guessing thats 8 ohms each right?
so then how much is it altogether?
these kicker cvr come in either 2 ohm dvc or 4 ohm dvc and they first gave me the 2 ohm dvc and i wired them in series and whoa they hit big time! but they suggested me that since my amp wasn't stable a 2 ohms bridged it would mess it up. so i switched them for the ones i have now.
so what's the right way to wire them for my amp to work at its best without messin up?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 2123
wire the subs to 1 ohm and they will rock... but you probably have too much power for them at 1 ohm...

Silver Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 485
Your only shot is sealed... ported will be too small in any design.

You can run one 12 or 2 10's properly in your trunk... I've been through this at least 30 times in mustangs.

That being said, I've gotten some pretty good results, wasnt easy, but I made it work :-)

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2197
Mark,do you take payment in full before starting the build of a box?

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1041
Chris, you'll need about 3.5cu ft for 2 subs before driver and port displacement. Take a measuring tape and see exactly how big of a box you can fit in the trunk. Shoot Mr. Mark and email with that and see what can be worked out. Kickers don't need that big of a ported box.

TX

Post Number: 5
ok i'll take the measurements and let you know. now i have another question...
how is my amp gonna push the kickers better?
the specs are:
200w rms X 2 ch. @ 4ohms
400w rms X 2 ch. @ 2ohms
1100w rms X 1 ch. bridged @ 4ohm mono

right now its bridged and the subs are both in series. if i wire them parallel each and hook them up to one channel for each will that make them hit harder? theyre 4 ohm dvc

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 11349
since u said ur subs r dual 4ohms then wire it like this to ur amp

Upload .....

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1077
The way Rovin showed is the way you have them wired, unless you have the coils AND subs in series, then you're getting a 16ohm load, which is too much. That amp should push them really well, my friend has 600W pushing them and that's all they needed - it's a sealed box. Either something's not right with the wiring or your expectations were too high lol

TX

Post Number: 6
yeah thats how theyre wired. maybe ur right and my expectations are too high. i mean they do hit hard it just threw me off because when i had the 2 ohm dvc subs and had them wired exactly the same way they hit harder than these. but that wouldve messed up my amp because my amp isnt stable at 2 ohms bridged.
so the way they are wired right now each sub has an 8 ohm load right? hows 2 of them equal 4 ohms altogether?

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OK

Post Number: 234
build the box inside of the trunk noob

TX

Post Number: 7
ok the box is a seal box 30''W x 13''H x 19''D

TX

Post Number: 8
sealed****

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1086
So that's about 1.75cu ft per side? Not bad. I don't exactly know what you consider "loud," but that sounds like it's not exactly "quiet."

TX

Post Number: 9
lol. dont get me wrong, i love how it sounds. and it does hit. i'm just tryin to see if this was as good as it gets or if i could push the envolope a bit more. but do u think i should stick with a similar box like the one i have now, or should i get a ported box that about the same size? cuz my current box gots to go

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1087
if you can fit it in, 2cu ft per side before woofer/port displacement.

TX

Post Number: 10
im not good at calculating the cu ft part, so like what would the measurements for a box like that look like?

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1088
I'm not really good at this stuff either lol Box builder ppl on here know that, but the driver displacement can be found in your manual.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us