2 12's or 1 18?

Bronze Member
Username: Dlavante

Tigard, Or USA

Post Number: 22
should i get 2 12's or 1 18" BL? cost isnt really an issue but i was just wanting some opinions. im just looking for stupidly loud @ 25-30hz.

Silver Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

15 SSD Wangin, Shawano, Wis... USA

Post Number: 513
well, reserve at least 1000 for charging system

Silver Member

Post Number: 514
what kind of vehicle?

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 280
25-30 hz is really low for tuning, i've only herad of a couple subs being tuned to 30, but i have never heard them being below that, if you want rediculously loud, i would think you'd want to tune it higher in the 35-40 range, and why would he need 1000 for a charging system??

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
ok maybe $700-800
maybe 2 HO alternators (if hes gonna run alotta watts
1 kinetik 2400
50 in wires for the Big 3

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 901
no no 1k for 1500 watts is way tooo mcuh money. if your only running 1500 or so get a midlevel iraggi alt. (350) big 3 (50) and then and then a secondary battery like a walmart evermaxx just be sure to get a battery holder(80) so your lookin at $480 for anywhere from 1500-2500 watts

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or USA

Post Number: 23
the box for the 18 will be 8.5 cu ft @28hz. ill be running it off of a nine.1.... im just wondering how 2 12's would compare to 1 18". i already have a good charging system and its in a 1998 grand cherokee

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 282
thats exactly what i was thinking, $1000 is in the question if your planning on running a good 6000 watts or so

Silver Member

Post Number: 518
well, he said he wanted stupidly loud so i didnt know how many watts he was lookin to get. sorry for the confusion...

Silver Member

Post Number: 902
no problem

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or USA

Post Number: 24
im only running about 1500w rms.... still no answer to my question...

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 1875
You don't even have to upgrade at 1500 watts, but I wouldn't go with a BL anyways. BL's lack a lot of low end. Go with a 15 inch Eclipse Ti and that Ed.Nine.1. You should be very satified with the lows... If you dont have the funds for the Ti go with a TC-3000 from TC sounds. That would be very nice, and both of those subs are low-end monsters.

BTW, how many watts did you think you could run to a BL Jamie? Don't be retarded. Help yourself by learning before you try to help others.

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
well he said he wanted loud so i thought maybe he wanted more than one sub...and yes i know you can get loud with one sub i didnt see what he said at first

Silver Member

Post Number: 907
on most stock alts 1500 is a reach at best. my range rover is 120 amps and i doubt im running more than 1300 ish. and most stock alts arent that big

Silver Member

Post Number: 908
120 X 13.8 X (.85) = 1407 watts and then take off my mids and highs and other electronics and i doubt im running more than 1300 on 120 amps

Bronze Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Maitland, Florida

Post Number: 49
i bought a 200 amp alt for my truck for 200 and a yellow top optima for 100 its not that expensive.

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 760
OK...since no one is really answering your question ...go with the 18". It will get lower and it has more cone area than two 12". (Not by much, but a little.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 909
yeah, back to your Q. i love 18"s it has a nice visual effect, very unique and i love the lows 18's pound out. also it depends on the amt of cubes you have to work with. IMO get an 18" Q or BL gotta love Fi such a great company

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2154
The 18 has about ~28 sq. inches more SA

Silver Member
Username: Garciag

Post Number: 134
trey how do you figure out what your getting out of you amp with that formula do i just substitute how many amps my alt is putting out and then use same #s as you

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OK

Post Number: 160
i run about 1300 watts and my car dies at idle some times.. so i would at least change your big 3 wires.. i need to do it soon

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 258
well anyways to answer your question Dlavante, 1 18 will hit lower than 2 12's so if your looking for only from 25-30 hz id say get the 18. the 18 will play slightly louder all around except for at the top end about 80hz plus. however 2 12's would sound much cleaner than 1 18 wich imho means more then pure spl. I have 2 12's on 1000 rms, no charging system upgrades and its pretty loud. if i had to guess id say probally around 130 db's, but it sounds really clean espichally compared to my friends alpine type S 12's

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio has got m...

Post Number: 1278
if you are intrested, you can put 2 18" BLs in your grand cherokee, i have a pair in mine under the window line behind backseats, same year.

Silver Member

Post Number: 915
gabriel, the equation is

(AMPS X VOLTS) X EFFICIENCY=WATTS

if you have a class D amp just sub .8 in for the efficiency

Gold Member

Post Number: 1279
i would do the 18" either way if you are looking for good lows...

Silver Member

Post Number: 916
yeah tremors setup is pretty damn dope...

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 1877
I'm tellin you don't go with a BL... They don't do well on the lows. Go with a TC Sounds sub or that Eclipse. They are monsters below 30 hz...

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or USA

Post Number: 25
tremor, i want to put 2 back there some day.. i didnt think it was possible until i saw yours lol. that box looks a little small for 2 18s tho.. how do they sound? and what amp(s) are you running?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1286
the box design is small because it is a t-line enclosure. the port is VERY long.

the sound quality is rock solid amazing.

i believe they could be alot louder with a much larger box designed more for SPL...

they are powered by 1 concept cd-2410 that is rated at 2400wrms@1ohm. i think the amp with minimal electrical upgrades is doing more like 1600-1800 though...

i love them though, im not trying to push them off on anyone just because i own them. they really do ROCK. its front row in concert everywhere i go...

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or USA

Post Number: 32
have you had it metered yet?

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3093
"the box design is small because it is a t-line enclosure"

what? t-line boxes are huge, you might wanna read this http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/forums/index.php?topic=1828.0

Bronze Member

Tigard, Or USA

Post Number: 34
ive seen the box.... its small and the port is huuuuuge. looks like a t-line to me and if im not mistaken it was designed by TTB
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us