T cab box

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 477
Does anyone know how one of these are made? Anyone on here have one and can describe how it was made? What is this guys secret are they really as loud as they seem in the videos?

Canaan how do you go about designing boxes? I saw your videos on youtube what is your setup?

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 1384
im sure mark potts can tell u how they're made, but i doubt he will. i believe his secret is that they are nicely made, and designed specifically for each install after lots of thought, unlike prefabs. ask lilrob he just had one made.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3698
i belive there just well built boxes. he has been building boxes for a long time, learning the ins and outs, what works and what dont, things like that. you just have to experiment to get hella good boxes.
just like marshall, hes built lots of boxes to get to his success, steve meade has....all the spl guys have

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
Im just guessing but it seems to me his secret is to tune ports around 40hz and use 4 ports instead of one and to use flares and have the ports inverted so they are one the outside and to make the box with 1 inch MDF with a double front wall

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 1385
not really a secret with that, just how he chooses to make em look. the external ports just help w/ internal volume being more. I think he jus uses 4 ports to get the port space he wants.

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
no one has completely explained the port thing to me i'm a little confused

I want to see the actual port formula and not use a port calculator like I have been doing in the past.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3699
i dont know where i found the formula but the reason he uses 4 ports is port area...
to get port area of a round port its pi times radius squared

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4697
There is on set design...just alil know-how and ALOT of trial and error.

Different vehicles like different designs...you have to learn your car.

Bronze Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 13
Canaan, could you build a box for my 15"?

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
"i dont know where i found the formula but the reason he uses 4 ports is port area...
to get port area of a round port its pi times radius squared"

I understand that, thats easy. I want to know how you can use the woofers thiele parameters like xmax and fs and such to find what port tuning will work well for the driver.

I think the reason he uses four ports isn't necessarily port area. You don't need four ports to tune the enclosure to say 44 hz. You can can do it with one short port. I think he uses four ports to make more use of the woofer's air that is being moved.

I think its kind of like using one mouth (woofer) to blow into four trumpets (ports). Instead of just blowing really hard into one trumpet. I'm guessing the sound would not be equal. This is also seen by the fact that say 1,000 watts on one subwoofer wouldn't be as loud as 500 watts on to two of the same subwoofers because of more air movement.

What are the step by step procedure that you go through in designing a box canaan?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4052
actually... a single port is louder than 4. given that they are the same area and tune. its just that 8 inch flaired ports are much harder to come by.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock2000

AA Assassins, MI USA

Post Number: 357
well.. the box he build for my assassin 12 makes for a just asloud setup as my old type r 10's combined.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4249
got damna fakin admins from ecoustics they are tripping cant see our fakin like signature thing on my profile fock em

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
Ya I'm talking about different area to accomplish the same tune.

Such as like 4 12'' ports to reach 40 hz in a
4 cubic ft. box which would be louder than say 1 6 inch port. Kind of hard to explain. If you go here:
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

and you use the 'vent length' calculator
set it to 'round port'
quantity of ports to: 1
enclosure volume to: 4
desired tuning frequency: 44
round desired vent diameter: 4

then when you calculate length its only 1.45 inches

whereas when you do it this way
set it to 'round port'
quantity of ports to: 4
enclosure volume to: 4
desired tuning frequency: 44
round desired vent diameter: 4

the length is 14.56 inches

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4055
what are you dumb... thats because its 4 times the port area! lol j/k about the dumb thing. but port area and length are directly related to the tune. the more port area the longer the port is going to have to be. 4 4 inch ports equal 1 8 inch port in size. however, the single 8 inch port will be shorter. this is because the 8 inch port is tuning a 4 cubic foot enclosure. 4, 4 inch ports, theoretically, are tuning 1 4 inch port per cuft. when you have multiple ports the length is derived from the total volume divided by the number of ports. aka... less # of ports FTW.

Silver Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 290
been a while since I used 4 4" ports on any box :-)

the secret is....

the step by step process to design the boxes are:

Silver Member

Post Number: 483
"what are you dumb... thats because its 4 times the port area! "

how would my example be 4 times the port area?

1 4'' diameter 1.45'' long port for 44hz
vs
4 4'' diameter 14.56'' long ports for 44hz

thats a big difference in area to reach the same tune for the same enclosure

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2546
Funny thing is when peeps here first saw my first TCAB box the first thing they were asking was all the measurement and pics of the inside, lol. Do you know what, I told them sh!t, ask Marshall and everyone else, I spent good money to find out, so should everyone else... :-O

Upload

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 291
"I spent good money to find out, so should everyone else..."

Sounds good to me :-)

Silver Member
Username: Hockeyknight

Post Number: 971
i found this a wile back but i never asked if this was right.....
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=21

also a lil ot: but Mark, im making a box for a 10" typr-r for a buddies hachback camaro...could you maybe throw out just a box volume and tunning freq. for some good sql????? also we gotta go subs up ports up for space reasons...any problems with that????

Silver Member

Post Number: 975
bump

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
Thanks Dr. Destroyer.

Polo why you got to be like that? I'm a poor college kid that is trying to make a nice system for cheap lol. I don't have 200$+ to drop on a tcab box. I think it would help everyone out to know this stuff. I like interesting threads about this kind of stuff instead of the usual g@y threads like

"omg what sub is better?"
"what would you get?"

i'd have to say 80% of the threads here are the same old crap.

Some noob asks what sub is good and then like 20 people tell them to buy the current bandwagon subwoofer that everyone wants

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2547
Honestly dude, not trying to be mean but if you can't afford to be in a certain hobby then you need to find a different hobby. This hobby at any level other than hand me downs or stolen sh!t isn't cheap. Just buying the materials and time spent could be worth having Mark do it. I myself can't justify doing it myself nor could I do it for the same price Marks does it, so he does it for me and everyone else like me. This being said for me to show pictures or to give dimensions on a box that I did not do the R&D work on is like theft in my book and should not be shared. This kind of theft takes away from the person who is actually trying to get by him/herself... Just my take on this. Polo..

PS- I was broke most of my life and never asked for anything free...

Silver Member

Post Number: 977
bump... i wanna hear what mark has to say

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 292
type R 10? 1.5-2 cubes, 30-35hz.

There is much more to my boxes than a size and a tuning, although most look simple - its backed by alot more testing and design. Its not something I can put into a post on a forum... I'd have to write a book.

There is a plethora of box design info on the web.. little tips and tricks that help.

If you really want to know and understand box building and design you have to:

Read
Test
Read
Read
Read
Test
Read
Test

Don't be scared to search the net for info... its *definitely* out there... and not all of it is right, but thats why you read everything you can, and test it. I wasn't born knowing what I know, it took years of research and testing and basically forcing the local home depot to get MDF and keep it in stock.

Those that don't want to dedicate a year + of their life to studying acoustics/carpentry/buying tools and materials and equipment... pick up a box from me and enjoy :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 15
mark, can you build me a ported box?
15" Treo?

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
thanks mark!!! this box dosnt have to be anything special, it just has to be better than the plywood sealed box he has right now.........

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 146.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 3142
in my honest opinion having tryed 4 4" ports and 1 8" port i would have to say 1 8" port FTW
im gunna try a 12" port next :-O
and maybe flare it. who knows!!!
but honestly not to be a d!ck and dont take this the hard way but to me your ported boxes are just like anyother ported box, IM SURE YOU DO SOMETHING I DONT, but i cant see why anyone would spend 200+ on a box they can build themselves...once again i know im being d!ck but every now and then someone needs criticism.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1479
Damnit David!Why do you gotta open your mouth?The only time you should open your mouth is right before I put my d....nevermind!

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 298
"mark, can you build me a ported box?
15" Treo?"

definitely :D

www.spkrman.com

"once again i know im being d!ck but every now and then someone needs criticism."

Why buy a woofer when you could buy the parts seperately and assemble it for cheaper?

"anyone" can't do that :-)

But, it is what it is.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3143
"Damnit David!Why do you gotta open your mouth?The only time you should open your mouth is right before I put my d....nevermind!"

Roberto, you little b!tch no one was suppose to know

"Why buy a woofer when you could buy the parts seperately and assemble it for cheaper? "

thats not entirely true...not to long ago ATF a kid that was on here strived to do it and most of the companys he talked to would only sell bulk items so then its not cheaper :-)

like i said......."i cant see why anyone would spend 200+ on a box they can build themselves"

b/c to the "average joe" numbers dont matter

Gold Member

Post Number: 3144
why dont you bump!!!!!!

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1482
Hey David don't numbers matter to you?Maybe YOU should get a TCAB and then you'll hit 150 :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3145
THATS ANOTHER THING!!!!!!

you cant gaurentee numbers either!!!!!!!thats why buying a 200 dollar box is worthless if it doesnt do what you want. i rather build 10 boxes for 20 bucks and get it right rather then buy 1 200 dollar box and not achieve my goal...
thank you for contributing roberto :-)

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1484
You're welcome Mija

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4262
fakin drivinrecklessu need retalin

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 304
"thats not entirely true...not to long ago ATF a kid that was on here strived to do it and most of the companys he talked to would only sell bulk items so then its not cheaper "

He didn't talk to the right people.

Its cheaper to buy a motor/basket from a blown woofer, and then slap whatever cone/coil/suspension you want on there... but, for most people its not practical and not worth the effort or the chance of screwing up.

For most people... building a box is not practical, nor is it worth the effort or the chance of screwing up. Believe it or not, not everyone is capable of cutting panels perfect, cutting the sub hole perfect, aligning everything perfect, and then doing a really sweet carpet job. Not everyone has the facility, nor do they want to pay for the tools and materials they may only use once, and end up with a box that may or may not work as well as it could have.

Anyway, I have boxes to build :-)

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1487
Yea...I don't have the shop/area to build a box so Mark will be building my new box in the future.

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 305
"you cant gaurentee numbers either!!!!!!!thats why buying a 200 dollar box is worthless if it doesnt do what you want. i rather build 10 boxes for 20 bucks and get it right rather then buy 1 200 dollar box and not achieve my goal...
thank you for contributing roberto :-)"

If you want a number, I can give you a number.

Wouldn't be the first or last SPL setup I've built... and it wouldn't be the first or last to achieve its set goal.

case and point: http://youtube.com/watch?v=O0lVLo2BUvw

and

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZeMs57YR1TM

Gold Member

Post Number: 3146
"and end up with a box that may or may not work as well as it could have."

matter of opinion

"Its cheaper to buy a motor/basket from a blown woofer, and then slap whatever cone/coil/suspension you want on there... but, for most people its not practical and not worth the effort or the chance of screwing up."

thats true but nobody wants a used woofer

Little rob please dont talk back to me after what you did for me last nite

Silver Member

Post Number: 486
"Honestly dude, not trying to be mean but if you can't afford to be in a certain hobby then you need to find a different hobby. This hobby at any level other than hand me downs or stolen sh!t isn't cheap. Just buying the materials and time spent could be worth having Mark do it. I myself can't justify doing it myself nor could I do it for the same price Marks does it, so he does it for me and everyone else like me. This being said for me to show pictures or to give dimensions on a box that I did not do the R&D work on is like theft in my book and should not be shared. This kind of theft takes away from the person who is actually trying to get by him/herself... Just my take on this. Polo..

PS- I was broke most of my life and never asked for anything free..."

I'm sorry. A free handout was not my intention. Unless of course you think I should have to pay money for a couple paragraphs of explanation as to why a tcab box has more output than a normal box. I don't want you to give me anything. All I really want is about ten minutes of your time for typing.

My dads got the tools. Nailguns glue w/e so I wouldn't need those. You know what I probably could pay to have one built if I really tried but, I want to learn how do it myself. Abandoning a hobby because it is too expensive is weak. If people did that nothing would ever get accomplished. I don't really want to argue with you but saying "This being said for me to show pictures or to give dimensions on a box that I did not do the R&D work on is like theft in my book" thats like saying its wrong for people to take apart anything they own. Is it wrong for me to take apart my Hewlett Packard computer so I can figure out how to put together another computer? That's not stealing. You just don't want someone to be able to get something free that you had to pay for. That's fine you can be that way but, your not any more honest or noble for it. Your not morally superior for not taking apart something that you already own.

Tcab box guy has to eat to, I guess. So I will just have to keep messing around till I get it right.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1488
Mr.Tcab doesn't need to eat,he just needs to keep building those boxes

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 308
""and end up with a box that may or may not work as well as it could have."

matter of opinion "

lol, how is saying something may or may not work as well an opinion?

The guy in the grand am vid could have tried for a year and not gotten the same results from my box that I just built and dropped off. He even tried to copy the box, and never got up to the same score again.

Building a box without the knowledge and skill to KNOW it will work is always going to be hit or miss.

I'm not going to deter anyone from building their own box... if thats what you want to do, go for it... but know that not everyone has that ability or facility, and some would rather go kayaking than sit at the computer for hours trying to figure out what tuning means.

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 309
"Mr.Tcab doesn't need to eat,he just needs to keep building those boxes "

dam str8

Gold Member

Post Number: 3147
"Building a box without the knowledge and skill to KNOW it will work is always going to be hit or miss"

i see your point...so if i ask you for 150 dbs you can make it HIT and not MISS???

Gold Member

Post Number: 3149
desnt bump!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 488
"I'm not going to deter anyone from building their own box... if thats what you want to do, go for it... but know that not everyone has that ability or facility, and some would rather go kayaking than sit at the computer for hours trying to figure out what tuning means."

I call those people lazy. My friend is like that. He dropped 3500$ for a stereo system at a local shop. What a retard. They are a salesman's dream.

I like to do things myself.

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 310
"i see your point...so if i ask you for 150 dbs you can make it HIT and not MISS???"

With the proper equipment and vehicle... sure.

"I call those people lazy. My friend is like that. He dropped 3500$ for a stereo system at a local shop. What a retard. They are a salesman's dream.

I like to do things myself."

Your not lazy if you have no facility to build a box... and your not lazy if you don't want to waste the time and $ trying to build box after box only to be dissapointed.

Value is a relative thing... hopefully for $3500 he got a quality install and quality products that are backed by the shop. Instead of screwin around with his car, he took it to them, let them have the liability, and spent that time otherwise spent glued to a car doing something more enjoyable.

The "lazy" ones are the ones who don't do any of the above and just sit around eating cheetos while posting how loud they will be when they get off their ar$e :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3152
"With the proper equipment and vehicle... sure."

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us