So, today was my second day at the Audio shop....

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4233
...um....yea, people are retards.

The concept of PEAK and RMS totally eludes them.

Had a guy w/ 2 JBL GT 12's (250wrms) that say 1000w on the cone come in and want a 2000w amp. And only wanted to pay ~$200.

I explained RMS and PEAK to him about 7 times, but he refused to listen. I even showed him a Autotek 1400.1 and explained that event that amp would smoke is subs in no time.

his response..."but 500w aint enough...man hook me up."

The price on the Autotek 1400.1 and a phoenix gold 600.1.

him- "cut me a deal man, let me get that for like $200...hey, you got any 2000w amps?"

me- ?????????

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 469
ha....you have to love it. I try to explain that same concept to many of my friends and they dont seem to understand either. Another one that really gets them is how to wire subs and that it does actually matter what ohms the subs are when it comes to getting an amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4234
one good thing did happen though.

I should be building a box for 3 pg radial 12's for a toyota truck next week. Thats gonna be fun...~6cuft net tuned to 35hz w/ ~84sq inches of port:-)

There is only one other shop on town that build boxes...and their 'expert' box builder's boxes have ~8sq inches of port per cuft. I saw one of his boxes for 2 L7 12's w/ 2 chambers. I ran the numbers and it was 2cuft tuned to 34hz w/ a 3.5"x3.5" port per chamber. (6.125sq inches per cuft...lmao!!!)

The guy that getting the 3 12's box was quoted $465 for the box at that shop...i quoted him $360. LOL

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 1670
Canaan, whats up bud. What audio shop are you working at...Im guessing the Desaird St. Pawn one, right...and btw, thanks for holding the stuff for me...I will have the money next month and I'll send an e-mail when I have it. I want to get everything. If you would like, I'll throw in an extra $25 for your troubles. That way it will be an even $200.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10530
so Marshall u working @ a car audio shop now ? - if yes thats so cool , u get to be around sh1t u love

thats y i have started to box build & install in my sparetime in my country - pretty neat so far since i get to hook up stuff & enjoy it without spending my own $ - in fact i get paid 4 doing this .......

Gold Member

Post Number: 4235
Thats cool man...the box and subs are just sitting under my bed here in my dorm.

As soon as someone buys my 2500d and you buy the subs/box...i'm upgrading my components :-)

BTW...i'm trying to talk Buddy (the guy that own desaird pawn) into picking up DD...at least the 1000, 2500, and 3500's.
Things might get real interesting in a few months

oh...and we put a pair of Kicker CVX 12's out front today. The box was a prebuilt, but even w/ that taken into account...they were SAD. PG Radial's sounded better on half the power in a VERY similar box.

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 1672
omfg...if he picks up DD and people hear them...then yeah, things should get real interesting.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Sit and Look pretty

Post Number: 3430
hey canaan yeah i think im gon have to get your amp so on friday send the pics man. ports will be extra im lookin to port aaround 8-8.5 box to 35hz but thats its not a big problem ill tell you the right volume later on thanks man ill keep in touch with you marshall
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us