Please help with subs in system!

Username: Djmrr

Post Number: 1
OK here goes I got a ton of loaded questions:
And totally appreciate any input

My situation is simple...I think that I'm burning the voice coil on my one sub but I also think a lot of things might be affecting it

I'm running 1 12" Infinity Kappa 300RMS and like 1200 max or something, it's a single voice coil 4ohm impedence sub
My amp is a Kenwood KAC-7502...2 channel 1000watt, right now running bridged at 4ohms, putting out a "Supposed" 500watts RMS, 1000 peak
My deck is a junky Jensen...something...it works though...its 50w x 4 but yeah...think its an issue cause my music gets "Soft" sounding after I turn down from a certain volume and then turn it back up

I love hearing my sub hit in the ported box, but I keep my bass control at like 60hz and about half way up on the bass boost, its fine then sounds quite though kindof
But when I turn my deck's eq on to "Flat" and turn the bass boost up all the way, its alright but then it starts to smell somewhat, just barely anything
Then the killer is when I turn it down from 60hz to like 50hz
Don't know if it's broken in but I got it in like july and its now December so I'd figure

I think that it maybe the issue could be my deck...or that my sub isn't powerful enough...or it may be my ground and I have a multimeter but how would I check that, my gain on my amp is like halfway up probably just a third of the way up

Or something...Like I know my amp is 2 ohm stable in stereo mode and I have it in mono but could that make it output 2 ohms in mono too?

I made my first mistake with an audiobahn I got and that started smoking...I had my amp in stereo bridged...stupid mistake

I get a lot of draw from my battery...like my lights dim and such...could that be causing the smell?

I just wanna have my 12 hit hard without any issues...until I can afford to buy a new deck, some new 12" dual voice coil 4 ohm subs so I can wire them so in the mono mode it sees a 4 ohm load....but yeah.....I don't quite know what to do or what it is

Thanks for any help

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2347
ok that sub is not some crazy spl sub so dont expect a mierical.

that deck for starters only does about 15rmsx4

anyway DONT USE BASS BOOST abouve 3db+ that will start to clip your sub and fry the voice coil

also dont turn your head unit all of the way up only to like 3/4 volume.

learn how to set your gain correctly, best bet is to look on www.subwoofertools.com and set it with a DMM
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us