Car wont start!!??

Silver Member
Username: Thumping_corsica

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 176
Ok so I was installing a new amp kit with for new amp for fronts for about 3 hours last night... anways i left the inside lights on only.. nothing else was using battery and now ive been trying over and over to jumpstart it and it wont work.. im running 600 rms through this diehard battery and 100 amp alt. Is it just a bad battery or what? if so what would u reccomend thx..

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

15in re sx, Il Us

Post Number: 469
when u jump start it make sure to turn off all of ur system (amps and hu) and it should turn over. if it doesnt do anything then wiggle the jumper cables till u get a good connection.

Silver Member

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 177
i took out the fuses to amps...

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1967
let the other car run your using to jump it off.. if it won't turn over i'd suggest bringing the batt in to get tested.. might have a shot battery

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 638
just a piece of advice. when you jump the battery put the ground cable somewhere beside the - terminal. Just a random metal piece on the car. Less likely for the battery to blow up. Ive seen it happen twice and heard about it happening to 3 other people...

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

15in re sx, Il Us

Post Number: 470
ive dun that b4 and it didnt hurt my batt... i just dont think hes gettin a good connection.

Silver Member

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 179
i mean.. its never had this problem before.. this is the first time in a looooong time. but yeah ill take it in

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 143
Jumper cables, in my past experience, can go bad and still look perfectly fine. Try another set and since bat is completely dead, than let it sit for 5 min hooked up. Then turn off all accessories and close all doors and try to start. If nothing new comes of this than post again for more info.follow previous advise as well.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4381
how would the battery blow up by jumping it the right way? lol

i do it stright to the batt hundreds of times and have never had a problem. if you want to rule out everyting man, i would get a wire brush, and take the terminal off of the + and -, and scrap allo the possible corrosion off of the posts, it SHOULD be bright silver (the post itself that is) and then just run the jumper cables directly to the battery posts, not the terminals

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
You can also rev engine of jumper car (vehicle that is running) to get a faster charge from their vehicle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
A good way to see if you are getting juice to your vehicles battery is to listen for an RPM drop on the vehicle that is running when you make the final connection in the jumping process. If no RPM drop than the voltage is not being transfered.

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 358
Could be your alternator :-) thats what keeps the charge...your alternator could be bad prob from not getting a ho alt ;) my only guess....

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4389
^^ not with 600 rms and a 100a alternator... an if his car was starting then dying after, then i would say the alternator

do what i and sinful said, first clean the posts and everythig and see if that helps. then we can figure somethin out if that fails

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 322
obvious ur battery is dead... exchange it - or if the warranty is out - buy a new one for 60 bucks

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Bassman3 is absolutely correct! 100A Alt should be fine for 600 watts RMS anyway. The jumper car should have the neg(-) hooked to solid ground(metal or frame/unibody structure) so there are no problems with back fireing voltage that could fry the jumper vehicles computer. Bassman3 is right to hook up both terminals on your car to get as much current to flow to your battery as possible. Thanks bassman3 for your assistance with this issue.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4394
lol. no problem man, thats what im here for..

and its not worth just buying a new battery right now, you need to first make sure its dead

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Why spend the $60-($200 for a good battery) when you could just jump it. Besides what if that is not the problem and he spends his money and it happens again. There's at least $60 down the drain. I would jump it and let it run for a while so the alt can recharge all the vehicles systems and battery and then shut it off. Start it again immediately afterwards to make shure it held the charge and shut off again and wait till the next day and see if it is dead again. Even if it is not dead then you can still buy a new battery, if you wish, because everytime a battery is discharged it looses some of its life so you could get a new battery if you wish. If it is dead again than I just proved my point because buying a new bat would have been a waist because it would have been drained to dead as well. Find the draw and fix and than, and only then, buy a new bat. You don't want to throw away money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Once again bassman3 is right. I take too long to post! LL

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 496
Most people mistake a bad Ignition solenoid for a dead battery. Make sure you check that first. Is there any power what so ever. Can you at least turn your lights on?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4400
what is the car trying to do also? is it clicking? or is it just not even wanting to turn over?

Silver Member
Username: Zoomiebird

Gville, FL

Post Number: 138
i dont know if this has anything to do with your problem but i shout it anyway. i installed a system for a not so intelligent friend of mine. he forgot to mention that he had an alarm system that completely immobilized his car when the battery disconnected or the HU was fiddled with. we tried firing it up and got a steady nothing. he ended up having to take out the alarm completely. lol. just a thought if your car had an alarm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
That doesn't sound right. Why would an alarm immobilize a car if the HU was unhooked or "fiddled with"? Makes no sense because if HU was unhooked or "fiddled with" then there is no need for the car to be disabled because the theif is not going to remove the HU and then steal the car, they would just steal it. This alarm sounds wierd. The feture I think you are talking about is the one that will make the car not start if alarm had gone off and was not shut off. Just think about it and it makes no sense for an alarm to do that. The only thing I can think of is if the theif unhooked battery to stop alarm and then rehook up so to steal the car than yes, that makes sense but has nothing to do with HU. Even though most alarms have a feture to go off again after rehooked up if alarm was sounding when unhooked. Must be an old alarm.

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 360
^^ "only with 600rms wont do it"
no not true... u could have no amplifier and the alternator can still go bad... its just an opinion and i seen alot of people have the same prob w.o systems and i told them to check there alternator and sometimes it works sometimes its the bat...keep that in mind

Silver Member
Username: Zoomiebird

Gville, FL

Post Number: 139
well it deffinately killed the car. i think fiddling with the head unit may have messed with the wires on the alarm or something. anyway it was the alarm (and it was old) that killed the car, how im not exactly sure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Getting way off topic because he said that he had left the light on which drained the battery? Alternator had nothing to do with this system because he never ran engine said the next day his battery was dead and a alternator and everything doesn't run when car is not. The dome light drained the battery and since the car hasen't started or ran the alternator hasen't had a chance to recharge system or battery. He hasen't had a chance to blow his alt yet so lets just get the car started.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4402
with 600 rms and a 100a alt, it shouldnt do that. because your car doesnt start, has nothing to do with your alternaotor, unless you have basically drained your battery so much, that your car keeps dying, and each time this happens is basically killing the alternaotor. thats the only thing that i could possibly think of why 600 rms with a 100a alt... otherwise, you have PLENTY of juice to push everything in your car + the amp :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Thanks again bassman3! But the car and Alternator never ran with system and he admmitted to leaving the light on, not to mention that the car worked fine before he left the light on. He has given no symptoms of a failing alternator!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4406
yep :-) i was just stating what would need to happen

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

Davenport, IA US

Post Number: 1849
bassman..the batt can easily explode when jumping with the - from the jumpers on the neg batt. If theres any gas (or any liquid) that comes out while your doing it, it can blow up in your face

Username: Tanmanfosho

Post Number: 3
my friends car wouldnt start forever then after lie kan hour we saw that the ground cable had come loose...how we have no idea. best check that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us