Dont know polarity of wires

Username: Mark5454

Post Number: 1
Im trying to hook up some speakers but dont know the polarity of the two output wires. The old speakers that were connected, I know were connteced wrong. I have multimeters but not sure what to do.

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 213
I would just connect them up and if you don't like how they sound one way try the other.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1080
turn the radio on and hook up the meter. note what wire u touched to the speaker wire if you get a reading then that wire is the hot one. if you get a reading with a - sign next to it the they are oposite.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1204
hook up a speaker and play a test tone of say below 100 Hz and see if the speaker is moving outwards, if so it is wired correctly. If it is moving inwards, it is wired incorectly.

:-)

Post Number: 2
Ya the test tone at 100 Hz is a good idea, that should work. When I connected the meter to the two leads i got the same readings. Proably because AC has an alternating current flow.

Post Number: 3
Ya the test tone at 100 Hz is a good idea, that should work. When I connected the meter to the two leads i got the same readings. Proably because AC has an alternating current flow. The main reason I want to know the polarity is to hook up bass blockers.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1227
Ya, definetly hook them up on the positive side (+).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us