10" or 12" subs?

Anonymous
I am looking into purchasing either 2 10" or 2 12" subs. What are the differences between 10" and 12" subs?

Anonymous
the ten is approximately 10" in diameter while the twelve is about 12" in diameter. :) 10's usually require less airspace and less amplifier power to reach full excursion, generally at the expense of lower overall output levels.

DJ
I have 2 12" subs u can buy. They are audiobahn and already in a special made box i have like 15 pics if u would like to see. I will sell for 300$ or just tell me your price. Just post a message if your insterested or email me at daddydave15@hotmail.com

Anonymous
Anonymous of 1-11 has it right, the size of the subs relates to their diameter and the bigger the sub, the more enclosure needed but the more sound output you get. Contrary to popular belief, bigger subs do NOT equal deeper bass, just louder. The size of the sub is just a number but the key factor is surface area (the actual area of the cone.) Surface area of a circle is pi x (radius x radius) so a 10" sub has a surface area of ~ 78.5"2 while a 12" sub has a surface area of ~ 113"2. As you can see, that 2" of diameter means a BIG difference in surface area. The square 12" Kicker has a surface area of close to 144"2 (what their ads are all about... more surface area.) If you want big booming bass, go for 12" or 15" subs. If you want a strong bass but not going for the biggest bass you can, get 10" subs and save some trunk space. a good rule of thumb is that 10" subs need about .75 cubic feet each and 12" subs need about 1.25 cubic feet of enclosure. Two decent 10" subs with the proper box and good power will rattle your car and shake the rear view mirror, don't think that 10's are weak..

vince
10's can even be louder then 12's, depends how good they are, how much power is goin to do them, how u installed them, and what car u have (beetle lol=Loud even wit 2 10's. so ya thats my 2 cents

Bob One
I'm putting 3 12's in my Tahoe. Each one will out perform 2 10"S!!

Amanda
Hi,
Are the square kicker solo baric subs as good as they claim. And would one 12' in my Honda Civic coupe put out enough base to turn heads??? Thanks!

bdm
Most everything is true that is said except that the 12'' subs normaly do have deeper bass. Louder isn't realy the word for more bass. You can get subs that are just loud without any bass. It realy all depends on what kind of subs you get. And Amanda, I would personaly get a little more than one sub. You could turn heads with one 12 but it's worth it in the long run just to go all the way with major boom.

Amanda
Hi bdm,

To get the major boom what would you suggest i get???

*Thanks*

bdm
I personaly am changing my stereo aroud for more bass. What sounded awsome in my was a sony 1200 amp with 4 polk GNX 12'' subs. As long as you have the power I suggest running more subs for the surface area to be greater. I am now changing my system to a 81000d MTX amp and 4 alpine r 12''. Both these subs are great sounding and powerfull, and I would strongly suggest them to people who love clear hard bass. It is true that they may not be a compition sub but they are great. What kind of amp do you have?

i have an alpine v12 mrv f352

I need subs in a box. 10's or 12's.
i need a good price and ill buy.
cristol @hotmail.com

Andrew
about 2 inches :)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us