Powering speakers closer to rms or peak???

Silver Member
Username: Pike110

Post Number: 215
I have a set of polk sr6500 components. The rms is 125 and peak is 250. I am looking to get a rf amp maybe a t3002 or a t5002. I just want to give them all the power I should.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1617
dont know much about polk speakers but id just give them 125 maybe 150

Silver Member
Username: Thumping_corsica

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 121
always power speakers with rms.. never use peak.. it means nothing in car audio)

Silver Member
Username: Pike110

Post Number: 218
I have just read on here that a lot of times on speakers they work better with a little more than rms opposed to subs.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1315
use whatever amount of power you want as long as you know what you're doing. I drive my speakers active with more power than needed but don't run into problems because I am responsible with the gains on the amp. it never hurts to run them with more power but you need to listen to the speakers to make sure you don't distort and watch the gains so you don't send them a bad/clip signal.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1147
Power your drivers "up to" 10-20% over RMS.

This means that you should not give your speakers more than 150 watts each, at the resistence listed.

BTW "up to" means that this is the max, and definetly not a goal to shoot for. I would have to say that 10 watts is enough power to give plenty of volume in a pleasant atmosphere. The difference between 10 watts and 100 watts does not equal to ten times more volume, but merely twice. Yes thats right, TWICE. So if you are giving your speakers 125 watts at first, then you turn them up to 150 watts, you may not even hear the difference.

The reason is this;

Your ear works logarithmically. This means that it identifys loudness by powers of ten. So;

To our ears, this pattern shown above is doubling the volume, not multiplying it by ten.

:-)

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 491
Well, mixneffect, I'll just fill in a little.
Just to let the guys know -
Lets say a given system has an SPL of 90db, 2 times louder would be 90db+10db=100db
And again 2 times louder than 140db is + 10db as well, so 150db is 2 times louder than 140db.

It does take about 10 times more power to double the SPL output. Also, always remeber - the smallest difference in SPL that a human ear can detect is 3db.

Anyhow, I am always on "the more power - the better" side, just don't clip your signal, that's it:-)

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1150
Thanks, sometimes when one person gives all the info it starts to look like a documentary and the reader becomes bored, lol. Its good to see others pitchin in. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us