http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=933

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2941
they are the entry level line, go up to the xrs or a different line

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

Post Number: 156
I'm getting the 5.25" and 6x9" models of the TR JL's and not putting a amp on them yet...do you guys think they will still sound pretty good providing they have no amp but the internal one in my head unit ( alpine 9851)

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 510
They will sound good of course, thats if your not an Audio Freak. They will sound better when you amp them. But you might want to do it right the first time. As in, get something you will be happy with in the long run.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1301
JL entry is not really JL, so don't get your hopes up too high, atleast go for the XRs. I'd spend a little more for something like the Kenwood Excelon which has better SQ than the JL TRs.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 308
BTW, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, a couple of days ago I listened to XR's vs VR's powered by Focal amp and the HU was Alpine, that was so funny, because VR's sounded better than XR's, the last ones were almost totally missing upper midrange (I guess to make them less harsh:-)). JL is so much about marketing that they look stupid. LMAO, put a black guy on your website with an amp in this hands - see, his 15's bump LOL.
Recently I looked at a 8W7, I mean COME ON, if you don't consider the surround then it's like a 5" driver LOL, well but I guess it's all about Xmax:-) They are so pathetic:-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7211
i agree....i don't like JL....not b/c of the same reasons...but they suxorz...W6 is nice...but then again so is an Rl-p....

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 196
Yeah, who would want an 8 that will play 33Hz comfortably and be as quick as any other 8 on the market? What junk. And what, pray tell, do you consider the "upper midrange?"

The TRs are OK at best. The 6x9s are WAY too harsh for my tastes.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7250
hi Bob!!!:-)

i have never heard the JL comps, but i have been told the XR's are veddy nice....heard some W7's....they sounded weird to me. haha

Silver Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 204
W7s are good, XRs are good, if pricey. My ZRs stomp, great speaker for metal guys. I'm going to refrain from posting when i'm cranky from now on.

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 332
Yeah and when I was back in Springtucky OH my local Soundwaves dealer guy simply sh:t his pants when he heard my cheap MB Quart RSD213's ($130 shipped) powered by Art 404 vs his XR's powered by the "super duper" slash series, not to mention that I don't like MB Quart's titanium domes IT STILL SOUNDED BETTER THAN THE XR's.

And I am 100% positive that 2 x 10" IDQ's would sound MUCH better than an 8W7.

Well, upper midrange, hmm, I would not be able to tell you the exact frequency, however, I am talking about the higher end of piano.

I've compared Focal K2P's next to XR's and it was like day and night (XR's being the night), not to mention that I don't consider K2P's to be a referance set to begin with.

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 938
derek smith i recently had a set of tr 6.5's and a set or tr 5.5's hooked up to a eclipse HU no amp and i thought they sounded great. i think for what you are lookin for they would be great and if i were you i wouldent amplify jl's lowest line. but the point is i had them and they sounded great, ya there may be better for the price but jl is well known and im sure u would like them.

Silver Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 206
K2Ps are XRs aren't even close. The ZRs would be the match. XRs and Quarts both have Titanium domes, so there's no REASON TO GET ALL CAPITALIZED ABOUT IT. :-) And the K2Ps are a reference set. I would say that 1 hot dog is not a match for two hamburgers (catch my drift?)

Not to jump all over you, and this next bit isn't directed towards you either, but I just think there's a LOT of hatred out there towards JL that's misplaced, and a lot more "that doesn't sound good" being done by people who either A) don't know what the hell they're talking about (The kind of guy who can't tell a $100 speaker from a $10,000 speaker) or B) Will NEVER admit that they like how JLs stuff sounds. My favorite are the "audiophiles" that come into my store and stand directly on top of one speaker, listen for 5 seconds and claim that it's not a good as their off-brand internet only special. I'm not saying that EVERYONE MUST LOVE JL, nor am I a JL fan boy, it just disheartens me to see the constant smack talking, about any manufacturer. Maybe JL isn't your cup of tea for whatever reason, but that doesn't make it bad. For example I dislike almost everything Rockford or Kicker has made for the past three years, does that make it bad stuff? Hell No! I just don't like it!

I'll be honest, I've been in this business a LONG time, and i've seen most of the stuff you guys tout on this board, and a good majority of it isnt fit to be installed. I am NOT going to single out brands or products, but it's the honest truth. Put it this way, this business is HARD, companies do NOT make it as car audio only if they're not good, or weren't good at one point.

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 338
Bob, I am just saying that for the $ vs $ there are better choices than JL. If I were to buy those RSD's the year they came out and at an authorized dealer I would have paid just as much if not more as XR's cost at a dealer.

Regarding the reference set - I would consider that to be say Scan Speak (Alpine F1, Genesis Absolute) and a few others. K2P's just din't do it for me, well they are pretty flat and accurate, but.......there is something about them that my ears get tired of, especially if I were to listen to AC/DC or similar.
Now on the other hand, that new Utopia Be, hmm x-overs are impressive to say the least, must say I haven't heard it, but I think it would be a refference set if the price is right, but I will believe it when I hear it:-), btw, that is going to happen in about 3 weeks, local shop is getting their CLK demo car ready, I will listen to it as soon as it's done and tweaked:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 939
well said bob, but on the same note if derek said he wanted the tr's that is prolly tellin u he doesent want to spend the money on the zr or xr nor an amp. the tr's will still do what he wants them to a sound good doin it

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 343
I guess "good" is a relative term

bump

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7323

quote:

For example I dislike almost everything Rockford or Kicker has made for the past three years, does that make it bad stuff? Hell No! I just don't like it!

i have a deep-seeded hatred for those 2 companies more for the latter....long story...HAHA!

Silver Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 212
"I guess "good" is a relative term"

That would explain the continued popularity of Ashley Simpson.

Bronze Member
Username: Jextasy23

Shaw AFB, South Carolina

Post Number: 17
Hey guys can anyone recommend some good 6.5in components or coax for a good price. say around $150

Silver Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 214
JL TRs :-)

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 407
http://cgi.ebay.com/ADS-A-D-S-346cs-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-SET-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitem Z260043367401QQihZ016QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Post Number: 949
http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-TR650-CXI-6-5-2-WAY-COAXIAL-SPEAKER-SETNEW-06_W0QQi temZ200037094313QQihZ010QQcategoryZ18799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?ha sh=item200037094313

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
ok, im back, but now with my JL TR 6" in the door and 6x9 in the rear deck...they pound to be running off the headunit( 9851 alpine ) one guy at my school swore that i had a sub in my car and he asked me to pop the trunk but when i did there was nothing haha...another guy at work did the same thing....this is definetly a big upgrade from my Sony Xplod 4 way 6x9's and my 4" Rockfords in the door....not to mention 1 year warranty from JL since i got em from a dealer ...i wonder if before that year ends if i hook them upto a 1,000 watt amp and they blow if i could get a new pair? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
and oh yea my bass is on -2....

Bronze Member
Username: Style_front

Post Number: 14
Is the JL 3 way set any good?

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 378
Chris, I would go with a 3way CDT's, 3way DLS's or 3way Morel's. There is no way I would go with JL's for a 3way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 965
hey derek im glad your happy with your choice, i told you that you would like jl's speakers. we just have alot of jl haters hear on ecoustics

jk
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us