My next box idea

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5638
i was thinking of firing the sub forward in a upward slant and the port downfiring. as you know i took out my backseat and made a little platform to hold the box. there is about 6 inches of space between the platform and the floor of the car.

the reason i want to do this is so the bass from the port will resonate off the floor of the car therefore be louder.

i could also do subs up and the port downfire.

what do you think. will it work?

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1240
im not sure but you might have port noise.. well like outside of the port, port noise but im not sure.

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 154
I'm sure one of the guys who builds tweaky SPL boxes can flesh this out, but I'm reasonably certain considering it's 3:30AM that that configuration would "extend" your port length.

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 784
Chad you have a hatch right? I normally saw best results when the port was firing up towards the back of the hatch..

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5641
well its kinda like a hatch. i think i might try that.

i got the idea of port downfiring from my home theater sub. i have a 12 inch klipsch sub and it has the port on the bottom and the sup firing forward.

do you think by having the port firing into the floor might change the port tuning also?

Username: Buickryder

Max Meadows, VA USA

Post Number: 7
Well when they test ur dbz they put it in the front passenger floor board so try and get ur flow t roll 2 tha front and see if that helps ur bass out get the air 2 flow uder ur front seats and lemme kno if it works i wanna kno if that make it any louder but no1 has a box ported for the air 2 flow under the seats

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 789
It won't change the port tuning but it will change the gain output from the box.. best explained I guess by saying if both boxes had the same tuning frequencies.. if you ran a sweep in both setups they might have a different "sweet note" although the box tuning is the same the gain seen from the cabin may or may not change..

Username: Buickryder

Max Meadows, VA USA

Post Number: 8
is it a hatchback????

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5644
its a 2 door coupe accord with the backseat taken out.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5648
hey kevin ima try your idea of sub forward and port up. if it don't work then you better fly out here and build me another box. lol.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 791
If it don't work you can just double baffle the wrong to get rid of the old sub cutout and put the sub on top.. :-) .. no biggy hehe. Not everything works.. all depends on the car. Marshall helped me with a box design and I tried it and it did worse than my last setup. never know till it happens :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us