HU Brand help (Jexx or Other)

Username: Jack39

Post Number: 1
Hi, which HU better in $300-$500? Alpine,Clarion or Pioneer premier?
I'm going to buy a full system, which one is better: All of them be a same brand, or buy different brand?

Silver Member
Username: Leew

Ketchikan, ALASKA USA

Post Number: 572
I prefer Alpine

Post Number: 2
A set of alpine( Hu,Amp,sub,speaker) or only HU?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4387
Those are great selections. Is there a particular model you're wanting or any specific features?

I can't get the compare thing to work right, so I'll list out the ones in your price range (and they will certainly be cheaper elsewhere).
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iEnbXrJuchg/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?c=3&g=300&I=130DEH P780&s=0&cc=01
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iEnbXrJuchg/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=130DEHP980&g=300 &s=0&cc=01
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iEnbXrJuchg/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=020DXZ865&g=300& s=0&cc=01
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iEnbXrJuchg/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=500CDA9857&g=300 &s=0&cc=01

The Pioneer DEH-P860MP and P880MP are still some of my favorite Pioneer head units. There is also the Clarion DXZ955MC DXZ855MC, and DXZ945MP (older but still one of my favorite head units made, yeah, I'm biased because I have one :-)). I'm not sure if you're looking to buy used or new...if you choose ebay, you'll get a much better price.

As a sidenote, both reviews give the Clarion DXZ865MP low ratings because 1)The first person ignorantly thought it had a tilting face and had to pay for it and 2)The second person obviously doesn't have enough power to run their system, hence the massive skipping and finally blowing out the head unit (the massive current pull sucks the voltage down, and when the voltage falls below a certain point, the head unit shuts off, after which, the alt can provide enough current, the voltage goes back up, and head unit turns back on-all in a very short time-thus causing the head unit to seemingly 'skip'). All in all, don't trust Crutchfield's reviews, the people that write them are, for the most part, ignorant.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4388
And all the components in the system don't have to match. I would suggest JL, CDT, or Infinity(if your're on a budget) for speakers. This might interest you: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/260423.html

Though I would stay away from the Kenwood speakers, they just aren't very good.

Alpine makes good speakers as well.

For a sub/amp setup, I would suggest heading to the sub forum so you can get more opinions. Admittedly, I'm somewhat limited in experience to all of the different types of subs out there, but I can help you with the amp to power it if necessary :-)

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jexx, If I want to buy a complete Set ( Hu,Amp,sub,speaker), Which one of these 3 brand, you're prefer?

Post Number: 4
Ok sorry ,I saw it late. With Alpine HU Alpine speaker is Better or Infinity speaker?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4393
If you're going to power the speakers off the head unit, then you'd be better off sticking with Alpine or the Infinity Reference series, however, if you would like more clarity/loudness and want to add an external amp for the speakers, the Infinity Kappas would be a better choice.

Post Number: 6
I saw HUs,between "Pioneer p9800" and "Alpine 9857", which one has really better sound quality(with external amp)?I read better features in Pioneer details:

MOFSFET50 amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4),18 watts RMS in alpine

three sets of 5-volt preamp outputs, three sets of preamp outputs in apline [4v]

and Pionner has a better, CD signal-to-noise ratio .......Is it really work better with external amp or not?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4407
There really isn't a noticeable difference between head units due solely to signal to noise ratio, a.k.a. it's negligible.

So you're deciding between the Pioneer p9800 and the Alpine 9857? I would go for the Pioneer, it's more flexible and I prefer the sound quality a bit more.

And I think an external amp would make a really big difference, just get a two channel amp and power the front speakers only, run the rear speakers from the internal amplifier on the head unit or don't use the rears at all (see this for more explanation: http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html).

Post Number: 7
Ok,so Pioneer p9800 and Infinity Kappa speaker thanks.

What about Amp? why two channel? I read rearfill.htm but if i buy "KAPPA 682.7", it has 100 Watt (Rms),and head unit has only 22 watt(RMS),and if i'm going to power only front speaker with my amp, whats happend?and if it's better why should i buy a good rear speaker?I can find a 20watts speaker.is'nt it?or can i buy multi channel amp?

and with pioneer HU and Infinity speaker which brand do you prefer for Amp?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4411
Two amps come to mind that would work best:

Rockford Fosgate Punch P2002
Alpine MRP-T220

The Kappas are 2 ohm speakers, so you have to look at the amplifier's output at 2 ohms, not 4 ohms.

If you can find one, an old PPI PC series that would best. Like the PPI PC250.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4412

quote:

if i'm going to power only front speaker with my amp, whats happend?and if it's better why should i buy a good rear speaker?

Exactly, you don't even need to buy rear speakers, and you can save some money :-)

Post Number: 8
sorry but 2 ohm or 4 ohm which one is better?

I want to buy a subwoofer is it good idea or it's not necessary?

I saw in MTV "pimp my ride" they install lot of rear speaker, if it's not good why the do that?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4413
Neither 2 or 4 ohm is better, they just have to do with how much power you get out of the amp because of how you can wire the speakers.

A subwoofer is a great idea, that way, you can have all of the low frequencies cut off from the Kappas and they will not distort when you turn them up(using the HPF-High Pass Filter-in the head unit).

The pimp my ride eps just have a ton of rear speakers because there is the room for them back there, that's all. They don't really sound any better being placed there.

Post Number: 9
Ok subwoofer Infinity work with 4ohm (speaker 2 ohm) should i buy another amp?infinity sub is good?

Last Question :-) why McIntosh Amp is so much expensive ? is it realy good and worthwhile? http://www.roger-russell.com/caraud.htm#mc440m

Post Number: 10
Thanks for your help and have a good night

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4414
Yeah, an Infinity sub would be fine, Infinity also makes decent amps.

McIntosh amps are expensive primarily because of the expensive components they use and the craftsmanship that goes into making them. My opinion on them? They're not worth it, not to mention extremely ugly :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Jexx. could you send me a link about Amps , and what's important in Amp and Head unit, and what's Difference in amp and Hu?and what's necessary For a good and clear sound Quality?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4432
You'll have to register at caraudiocentral.net to view this: http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32

It's a list of all the good, bad, and ugly car audio equipment, what to avoid, what to look at etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us