Sony deck with alpine speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 60
Im trying to plan my new car stereo, and I need some advice. Im looking at the alpine s seriese 6.5" package with crossovers and tweeters for my fronts, and 6x9's for my rears. Ive been looking at the top end sony deck that is $400. Is it a bad idea to mix brands like that? I know in home audio you almost never get a reciever and speakers from teh same company, cause those companys dont make the same stuff. What do you think?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3290
Yeah, matching brands really is never a good or bad idea, honestly, unless the two units have some type of proprietary link that requires them to be the same brand.

What it comes down to is this: Sony is a bad car audio brand. You'd be better off with a Pioneer, Eclipse, Alpine, or high end Clarion head unit. Good choice for front speakers. However, I wouldn't suggest getting rears at all-especially 6x9s.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
well, im replacing the speakers that are in my car right now. Right now I have 6x8's in front and 6x9's in rear, all stock. I will be putting new 6x9's in rear, and gettign 6.5s custom fitted. I want the car to look stock, so, im staing with original sizes. Why dont you like rear speakers? remember, this is a 4 door sedan, so, I would like music in teh back (so would be people sitting there)

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3328
When there are full range speakers in the back, it tends to destroy the sound imaging. I mean, when you're at a concert, the sound is all produced from in front of you, and any sound that comes from behind you is just reflected-no sound is actually produced from behind you.

The most interesting thing (and I don't have rear fill) is that none of the passengers in my car have ever noticed because my front imaging is so good.

If you still want rear fill, the best thing to do is leave in the factory speakers, or just put in some midrange only speakers in order to keep the soundstage as good as possible. It's up to you.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 180
Rear speakers become a bit more important if you're not running subs, in my opinion. I agree though that there's no reason to spend a ton of money on them. A decent set of two ways will work just fine.

I'm in full agreement on looking elsewhere for yoru deck though, Sony is NOT the way to go. Here are some other options in that price range.

Bronze Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 24
Just like drugs, just say NO when it comes to Sony lol. And I have 6x9s and to me they don't hurt imaging at all, it's a matter of personnal preferance. I don't actually hear my rear tho, my front stage works very well, but like you it's for the people in the back. x2 with the recommened brands Jexx lists

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Ill probably take a alpine deck.

Bronze Member
Username: Dsmith07

Post Number: 70
this is cool lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-FVA-W306-Double-Din-CD-MD-DSP-MONITOR_W0QQitemZ180003 408575QQihZ008QQcategoryZ67770QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member
Username: Mrsq

California

Post Number: 98
dxz865mp clarion will be a great choice, you can get one for under 400 on ebay . but remember to get a two way speakers to match it brands like mb quarts or even alpines,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us