Super Noob Need Some Help!

Username: Blazerboy

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,
I was thinking about buying some subs for my 1997 Blazer. I think i want to buy these... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D9741311077%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26
But I want to see any pro's or con's you guys have expierienced woth these subs. Do you guys think this is an overall good deal? Also if I buy these subs, about what size box will I need. Also what watt Amp would you guys recomend. Thanks for all your help keep in mind im new to the forum and I am only 15 and dont know to much about car audio so keep it simple if possible. thanks a lot!
Kyle

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2631
how much u got to spend on the WHOLE system?

Post Number: 2
I would like to keep it under 230 ish not including the head unit.

Bronze Member
Username: Junior22

Post Number: 24
grab urself some assassins before the special prices ends on the 23rd

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2642
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-X400-1-LPL44-D2-MONO-CAR-AMP-BASS-REMOTE_W0QQit emZ9738491494QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/assassin12specs.html
that might be a little over but its worth it

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 194
if your going for Rockfered get the P2's at least or even better the T2's my friend had 2 p2's and he hit 142 decibals with 2 12's

Post Number: 3
I would like to keeps the Subs under 100 including shipping. I know it would be nice to have the next step up but im just getting started and money is limited.

Any pro's or con's for the subs im thinking about getting?

Also what watt amp you guys think I should get?

Thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Eseesai

Post Number: 168
ok first of all whats the money limit u have for the amp?

and u dont really need something strong something like an audiobahn A4002T that should be a good amp for now i guess

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 121
Not to burst your bubble, but $230 won't get you much, and you'll be lucky to get any complete setup for that price. With subs, amp, box, wiring and install it'll be real tough, but I'll try to help as much as I can.

WrEaK HaVoC(.'~DAYE£?~'.) made a good suggestion there, and that would probably be a nice single sub setup on a budget, but if you're really set on the Rockford subs, then you'll basically want to look for an amp that pushes between 300 and 400 watts RMS at 2 Ohms. Since you'll be running a pair of single voice coil 4 Ohm subs, they can be wired to present a 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm load.

You're not going to be able to get a great amp in your price range but like I said, I'd try and find a mono amp that'll push 300W RMS at 2 Ohms. Maybe stick with Rockford and go with something like this.

In terms of box size, the owners manual for those Rockford subs can be found here but your recommended sealed internal volume for EACH sub is 1.25 cubic feat, so you'd want to look for a dual box with two chambers with close to that volume in each chamber. They also have vented enclosure suggestions in the manual there, just make sure you're looking at the right sub (p112s4) since that manual has specs for the whole punch series from that year. I'll tell you right now though, that even a cheap box is going to run you at least $50-$70 and don't forget that you'll need at the very least an 8g amp kit and it's better to go 4g in case you want to upgrade at all in the future, then add install costs unless you'll be doing it yourself. Good luck.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all your guy's help. Well I went and bought the Rockford 12" Punch subs. Now I just need an amp. I know Im not going to get that great of a amp from target but I have about 200$ in gift cards for there and I think Im going to get one from there. I know im not going to get to great of an amp from there and im already prepaired to get sugestions on other brands and stuff but realy the only way I can get a amp, is if I get one from target so if you guys could work with me it would be apriciated. Heres a link to all there amps, thanks again. Keep in mind the subs Rms Wattage is 150 Watts a piece, they are also 300 watts peak a piece for a total of 600 Watts, and they are 4 ohn single voice coil.

So heres the link any sugestions are welcome!
http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_fe_l_0_13914421_4/601-1558208-237450 1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13890071

And heres a link to the subs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D9741311077%26&sspagename= STRK:MEWA:IT%26
Thanks again,
Kyle

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 124
Kyle, let me be the first to IMPLORE you to take your time, save some more money and get at least a halfway decent amp. None of those amps from Target are worth the metal/plastic they're made of.

With that out of the way I'll say what I said before, you'll want to try and match the RMS of your subs as close as you can with maybe a little more power to spare. Since you'll have 2, 4 ohm subs, they can be wired together for a 2 ohm or 8 ohm load (since, with your budget, you're not going to be able to power each sub with its own amp). Here is a wiring configuration chart that lets you plug in how many subs your running and how many ohms and voice coils and it'll give you your wiring options.

So, try and find an amp that'll put out 300W-400W RMS at 2 ohms. Max numbers mean next to nothing, so don't pay any attention to them.

I'm not going to give you any recommendation on an amp from Target, not only because they're all crap but honestly, none of them are rated for the power you need to run those subs.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for your honesty. I guess I will be better off just buying a decent amp as opposed to something that might blow my new subs anyway. Since that is figured out, what amp would you guys sugest for under 100$ putting out 300-400 RMS?

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2042
wow u should have saved up your money lol thats all i ahve to say you shouldnt have bought off indo audio either he has a horible reputation

Post Number: 9
Idk, 98.6% feedback is decent. And I have money im just trying to do this as cheap as possible. I have money but i dont want to get the best system, just sumthing decent for my money. I also have so nasic car repairs I have to do and that comes before a system. I may not be as rich as you but i just want some decent stuff. any one know of a decent amp for 100% taht pushes about 300-400 RMS? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2382
remember voice coil config when buying, becaquse it is going to determine the amp you need, I would get an sub that is a dual 4ohm voice coil or a single 8 ohm if your running 2 subs.

Post Number: 10
Yea I am running 2 subs so I will keep that in mind. Any other adice will be apriciated. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us