Alternator and Fuel?

Silver Member
Username: Aman2005

Post Number: 196
Hi mates. I've a hifonics bx1500 D, for powering my two dvc 4 ohm type Rs. ihavent got the amp yet. Want to know that will i need a ho alt.? Will a bigger alt make engine to consume more fuel?
In case, I'm not playing the music and amp is switched off, will that alt. supplies more current to other elec equipments and can it damage them??
Please clarify all the queries.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3232
dude did you read the several links, Ive seen people post for you to read???????

1) yes for 1500rms you need a HO alternator

2) NO a bigger alternator will not consume more fuel/gas

3) NO the alternator will not supply ANY extra current, if its not demanded from by the system or a component. It will not damage any component!

Keep askin the same questions, and people will NOT answer you!

Bronze Member
Username: Cbrown

Post Number: 14
hahahahahahahahaha fuel

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1200
B, a high output alternator will actually hinder your gas mileage, as well as your horsepower. Kind of like using the air conditioner.. A high output alternator -normally- provides a little more resistance than a normal one does..

Also, some people say you can expect to lose 1-6 hp with one.

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 748
yes, jonathan said that once

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3236
yes, that is true if you have a big 300a HO alternator, and how good it is wound.. but the gas mileage is not as noticeable as a ac-compressor. on my car I prob loose 1hp if that. the ac clutch is a much bigger pull on the engine!

He shouldnt worry about loosing gas mileage.. thats all.
:-)

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 191
you do not need a HO Alternator or a bigger alternator all u really need is extra batteries and a CAP the amp takes from the battery anyways and the biggest you can have in any car stock system is 200A so its not possible to have a HO alternator without destroying your vehicle a cap will give your amp direct power!more direct then a alt or battery!

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7801
^^^STOP...please dont talk about stuff u have no idea on

http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 92
you dont need a ho alt for that amp i have a 1600w hifonics amp and a 400w kicker amp on my stock alt and its fine

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1607
OK, the best thing to do would be to hook everything up, and if ur light dim, then u need one. also,CAPS should even be mentioned in the same sentence as alternator EVER again

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7809
"1600w hifonics amp and a 400w kicker amp on my stock alt and its fine"

LOLOLOL....ok, when u wake up to go to work and ur car wont start....u will no why.lololol

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1608
i thought ur alt doesnt have anything to do with ur car not startin. ur alt doesnt go into effect when ur car cranks over. so alt wouldnt have anything to do with ur car not startin

the main function of the alternator is to convert power from the gasoline engine that drives you along the road, to electrical energy to keep the battery in tip-top condition.

your car can run with no alternator whatsoever for quite some time, just living off the energy of ur battery.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1609
http://www.misterfixit.com/alterntr.htm

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7823
ex...say ur driving around (killing ur alt) and it begins to get weaker and weaker...until one day ur driving and it dies...like u said it can run off the battery for a few mins..say u park ur car..b4 the few mins are up...u wake up the next morning...ur car will not start....because the battery has not been charged.....from the alt because it is dead...

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1614
there ya go. i guess i took what u said wrong.

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
I'm still confused withh all. B, you said that have I read the suggestions of all the posters? yes I do, like this. Whenever I ask for changing the alternator, I got replies like this. One says change it, other says not, buy a cap etc etc etc. Thats why I am posting again and again. I've a 160 amp alt in my car. I havent got the amp yet, may be in a day or two I'll get. Will I need to upgrade my alt if I am hooking up a 1500 RMS amp on the 160 amp alt??
Please clarify. AlsoI am unable to calculate how much exactly the current is required by amp. If one knows, please tell me

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3268
ohh, CB is exactly correct with his example, cause thats exactly how it happens.. lol

ok let me put it simple Aman..

you are getting a 160a.. now is that a regular 160a or a High Output 160a??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^BIG DIFFERENCE!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the regular 160a may output 35-45a @ idle... maybe full power @ 3000rpm

the HO 160a may output 80-100a @ idle; and do full 160a @ 2000rpm...

Upload
however, it seems like your trying to short your amperage, thinking a capacitor and extra batteries, can give you current (amperage); when they do not! The only source of current, is from the alternator.

can u hook up your amplifer on a 40a alternator? yes..
will it play? yes...
will my lights dimm a little bit? MAYBE...
how long will it last? maybe 3 weeks, maybe 5 weeks....

how long will it play getting full current @ all times... FOREVER!

People say they do it, and been doing it, but If I was to open up their amplifiers, the circuit boards are probrably starting to blacken and transistors starting to get loose and break off, because the LACK OF CURRENT!

it will work untill it can NOT take NO more abuse..

so why not protect your equipment in the begining, to begin with???? :-)

now not feeding your amplifier enuff current, will make the amplifier give a DIRTY output of dc voltage (1way) instead of a CLEAN AC voltage (2way )

Feeding the subs DC voltage from a (current) under feed amplifer will then in return FRY your new subwoofers because of the DC voltage and DC current.

AC voltage and AC current allows your subs to work to their maximum giving the full excursion to keep the Voice Coils COOL at all times..

I hope you understand... It will be a COSTLY mistake! Upload

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4125
"1600w hifonics amp and a 400w kicker amp on my stock alt and its fine"

play your system loud, turn the ac on, run your wipers, and turn on your headlights all at the same time. now take a voltage meter and measure your voltage. see what it reads. i strongly doubt you will even have 12v. your amp performs its best when your voltage is around 14v.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3270
^^^^^^^^^^^ maybe 11v and like 20amps...^^^^^^^^
lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
B, I don't know whether the stock alt is ho or regular. Can you tell me how much amperes do the hifonics 1500d amp need?? If we consider the 75% thing for hifo, how much then it need? please tell me about the need of amperes in both cases. I'll call and ask my car dealer about the amperes of the alt. at idle. i was unable to calculate the amps on a link posted by someone.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3304
i always start with or suggest a 200a HO Alternator atleast, for any car.. it can support a LARGE range...

there is nothing as TOO MUCH current... if you had a 500a HO alternator <<which they dont make<< and your amp wanted 120amps of current, then thats all it will receive...

I suggest that you get a 200a HO alternator. Even a 150a HO alternator will be BETTER than a 160a factory alternator!

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1201
EVen considering the 75% output thing for hifonics, remember that they're only like 75% efficient, so to put out what they put out, they're pulling an additional 20-25% of that number, that is actually turned into heat.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us