Morel Elate 6 3-way vs Morel Supremo / Elate SW 6"

Username: Rivers28

Post Number: 1
I am currently on the Supremos with CDT Eurosport midbass drivers and am thinking of upgrading.

What do you guys feel might be a better setup SQ wise?

1. Supremos / Morel Elate SW 6 drivers
2. Morel Elate 6 3-way
3. Supremos / Seas Lotus Reference 6.5 drivers

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5969
Lotus References would be more detailed and neutral. Morels would be warmer and more laid back in sound. Midbass output of both is pretty similar, but the SEAS have more output capability overall b/c the midbass has more excursion.

In this case I think either two way would give you better results simply because that tweeter is much better than the compact tweet you get with the Elate 3 ways, plus the fact that the tweet can crossover low enough that stitching the midbass and tweeter together isn't a big issue.

If you're going to buy the raw drivers you might as well get a SEAS Excel W18NX instead of the Lotus Reference midbass. Same price, higher output, lower distortion, and no issues in upper midrange to have to deal with. Wicked, wicked midbass driver there.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jonathan. I believe the Seas Reference go down to 40hz while the Elate are at 25hz. Do you have any idea what the Excel would do and how much they go for?

Post Number: 3
Just checked that they retail for $150 per piece and go down to 30hz. They are running at 8ohms which might be a concern for me though as I do not believe my amplifier allows for an 8ohm output.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5970
That's just a specification, though, in which those kind of specs are designed to sell speakers :-). They both will have more output than your current drivers, but not so much better that they can drop as low as specified. 60-80hz is about as low as you want to cross them over at, especially if you want to listen at high volumes and keep it clean.

That W18NX, however, has far more bass output than either and will sound cleaner doing it. 8 ohm isn't a problem. It's actually better for an amplifier to run a higher impedance since it runs cooler and in the end will last longer/be more reliable. The Excel driver is more efficient than the Lotus midbass as well, you really don't lose any output by going with it regardless of the power drop. Morels are especially inefficient, far more power hungry than the other two or your current CDTs.

Post Number: 4
Ahh, thanks. I am quite a noob as far as you can tell! ;)

So would it be right to say that I can run the Seas W18NX with an amplifier providing say 60 to 170 watts per side at 4 ohms?

They seem to be a 7"? My door panels will only fit a 6.5" :-(

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 357
damn jonothan good post
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us