What set to get? $500~ budget (Jonathan..plz help)

Silver Member
Username: Udai

Post Number: 127
Ok so heres my problem.. I have a mkv GTI and the stock audio is terrible. I was looking for some nice 6.5's in factory locations (placed near my upper leg). Im looking for a set that isnt harsh, and that will complement my 2 12w3s/pgxenon 600.1 in the back. Remember this car is a hatch.. and it will be a bit loud so i need a decent setup which wont be drowned out by my subs. My budget may be a bit of an issue.. but its 500 for a set AND an amp (if its worth it i can probably pull 550-600).
Heres what ive come up with so far.. CDT HD 62 330 shipped to my door.. dont know what amp to match to that..
Oh and the factory mid size = 6.5

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Oh and i forgot to mention.. id like a nice punchy sound (which im sure what most people look for)

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
help :\

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2125
thoes CDT's would be a nice choice.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3757
Go with the CDT HD62's. You won't be dissapointed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
Is there anything better out that at a similar price? I was actually looking at stuff from dynaudio because they made some really good stuff on the passats.. i suppose the price might be a bit out of my range though. Do the CDT comps sound similar?

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Is there anything better out there at a similar price? I was actually looking at stuff from dynaudio because they made some really good stuff on the passats.. i suppose the price might be a bit out of my range though. Do the CDT comps sound similar?

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2136
the OEM stuff companies like Dynaudio make don't really compare to the after market stuff they sell.

the Dyn's would prob be a better set then the CDT's, but i haven't heard a set of Dynaudio comps to truely tell you which is better. the Dyn's are way more then the CDT's though. i had the CDT HD3-ways before and they are a nice set.

only other sets i can think of that would be close to the CDT's would be the Alpine Type X's or Diamond Hex's or maby the MB Quart Premiums. i'd choose the CDT's over thoes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Ive heard the premiums.. didnt really like those. They were a bit too bright.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5997
Biggest competitors would be JL XRs IMO. Really depends on what you like, I prefer the XRs in the price range. Type X comps are really nice, too.

Bronze Member
Username: Jinster

Post Number: 69
i bought my iridium 6.2 for 480 on ebay.

Bronze Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 70
But then again, I used to have a set of MBQ RSD213 (it's got a 1 inch metal dome), signal was CDA7930, Audiocontrol x-over and the RSD's were bi-amped with an Art A404 (I had replaced stock RSD passives with older premium bi-ampable x-overs).
BTW, subs were 2 x 12 inch very cheap RF's, I had bought 2 of them for $50 on sale at Soundwaves:-) powered by Tantrum 500.2.
It sounded VERY good for the RSD's, mids and tweets were in the doors (Integra stock locations), I was surprised.

So one nice afternoon I went to Soundwaves to show it off. One of their sales guys had JL XR's in his car, powered by JL amp and some W3V2's so something similar. Well, I must say my system blew his away like there was no tomorrow. I had paid only about $130 for the RSD's and they made XR's sound like crap. Sales guy's jaw simply dropped from the beauty of my sound.

MBQ's require a very clean signal and amplification or they will sound like crap, because that metal dome is not gonna hide anything (it will even add a bit):-) Well, now I know that I don't like metal dome tweets, but those were some great times:-) There were times when I wondered - how are those tweets holding up at these sound levels:-) I did take them to the limit and that is some very loud and still pretty clean stuff:-)

Well, maybe it was the CDA + Art that made them sound so good. The driver locations were one of the worst:-)

Hope this helps

Silver Member
Username: Gage

Post Number: 275
i got my type x for 200 bucks shipped

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
How are the Polk SR6500's? I can probably pick up a set for $450.. are they worth the $120 jump over the cdt Hd's?

Bronze Member
Username: Sqlover

Post Number: 11
Seas Lotus Performance Set $455

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
ok so in that range i can pick up the seas, or the polks (used).. anything else ? Im still kinda lookin for dynaudio stuff :D

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
fd3s
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us