How to wire dash speakers with door speakers on same channel

Username: Primus2112

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

I replaced the factory radio and speakers but the right dash tweeter connection is dead... so I ran a line and hooked it up in the Parallel configuration.

Should I do it Parallel or Serial??? with out taking out all the factory wires... would that be the way the other side is hooked up? It seems to sound louder on the right side now...
Also I ordered some Bass Blockers for the dash and door speakers.
The car is a 97 Plymouth Breeze, radio Sony 52X4.
Hope I explained this right as I am new to Radio installs but just wanted something to play CD's and Mp3's that would be loud enough to hear without the need for a amp and subwoofer setup.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1898
stock wireing should be ok. speaker wire doesn't carry that much current to need to upgrade, unless you want to.

you'll want to wire in parallel, but that HU can't accept a load under 4 ohms or you'll end up frying it. unless it says it can work on 2 ohms.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Brandon.
Hmm maybe I should series wire it because not sure if Sony cdxgt200 can handle the 2 ohm load.

I am assuming that the left is factory installed in Serial config?

Is Parallel louder in sound versus Serial?
Or does it just affect the workload on the AMP?

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1905
if you wire them up in series, you'll increase the resistance and cut the power they will receive. therefore, they won't be as loud as if you wired them in parallel, which lowers the resistance and increases the power.

going too low will burn up amps though, especially internal HU amps.

Post Number: 4
Darn! Well maybe will do them in Series instead... don't want to burn up amp!

Guess I got some tweakin' to do this weekend!
Guess will also do the left side with fresh wires and serial setup as well since I am not sure how those are wired...

Would you know if the Left Side of dash and door speaker wires are wired at the factory in Parallel or Serial???

Also when a HU AMP fails... does it just short out or is there a possibilty of fumes and fire??

Thanks again Brandon, and anyone else who would like to respond.

Post Number: 5
Well just finished doing the fronts in Serial.
It was a bit time consuming but it came out alright!
Also did the battery polarity test and found that my rears were on the wrong polarity!

Took care of all that Now I can Rock On! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us