tweeters reflect off windshield

Username: Nate_m

Post Number: 1
Hey, ive got an 88 firebird and put 6.5 components, and I put the tweets up in the dash where the factory 4x6s went. Currently I have the tweets aimed at the windshield, but I have been told recently I should not have done that. I was wondering if it would really be worth it to take off my dash pad and play around withthe tweet mounting again? Thank you

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1758
if it sounds good to you and you like it, then keep it.

Bronze Member
Username: Nanbakat

Mexico CityMexico

Post Number: 31
I've heard that the best placement for tweeters is around the same level as your ears but aimed at the windshield. The sound field should play across the front of your windshield, ideally.

Bronze Member
Username: Zneon

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 24
Well I have a 3-way comp in a SQ setup and i have the tweeters mounted in the interior part of the side mirrors, in the little triangle in the door, both facing my ears at the same level. I've heard the difference when tweeters are facing the windshield and personally i don't like it, it sounds different. Some say it will sound too aggressive in my config, but that's up to you. I have that 3-way focal set in a sealed fiberglass chamber and a pair of 8" in the trunk and it sounds very well balanced. Just remember tweeters are the most directional speakers, so if they are facing somewhere else, then some frequencies are being lost and others being reduced because of the materials in your car that absorb them. If you dont believe me try this, put a blanket of soft cloth in your ears and get into your car, play some music with high notes. What's the difference? High frequencies are reduced but others are kept. Now, put your hands in your ears like trying to "catch" the sound waves and directing them to your ears, now you hear a lot more the tweeter. Try different configs and let us know what sounds the best for you.

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 557
ha ha.......i tryed whut u said putting ur hands up 2 ur ears....N i noticed a big difference.....so how should u aim da tweeters 2 get that sound....just experimanent or what

Username: Nate_m

Post Number: 2
I didnt really notice much of a difference, maybe the angle of incidence to the windshield is such that the sound is reflected back to my head. Also, would the reflection result in any phase shift? And if so, does this really matter?

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 614
well having the tweets in the sail panel(triangle piece behind mirror) is actually the worst place if not taking some time to compensate for the placement. Ideally the place is at the woofer angled up towards the dome light or so. Will this make the music sound like its coming from the floor? Not if done correctly with time alignment and such. Also there will be no gaps from the mid to the tweet as far as imaging goes. Having the tweet so high far from the mid can cause some problem. Look at CDT braxial mountings for the tweet. It is very nice. Having your main tweet play off the windshield is kinda a poor man's time alignment as aiming the tweets at the windshield will somewhat negate placement as the windhshields shape reflects the sound towards the center around the center console.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5937
This is where human anatomy comes into play. Basically, above a certain frequency our heads create an acoustic "shadow", and we aren't dependant upon pathlengths for imaging, but intensity (volume level). 6khz and above is generally considered a good point you can cross a tweeter and have great staging. Along with that, 6khz is also past the point of most fundamental vocal and instrumental cues, and is more for harmonics and ambience.

Windshields aren't necessarily a no-no. The key is to take advantage of reflections, not let them work against you. This would be depending UPON reflected energy and NOT the primary energy from the tweeter. Which would generally point to aiming the tweeter toward the windshield. With pillar installs, I've heard very few on-axis tweeter installs that imaged worth a crap. But with tweets using the windshield reflections (note with precise aiming), you can have great results.

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 560
where can i learn sum more about sq setups....cuz i actually do like sq alot more than i like just palin loudness....my mb'sdont do what i expected for rap...(still loud and hits but not loud enough)...when i listen to old music like boney james...george duke...and some other stuff it dooes great...(people say my system suck cuz it just doesnt make noise..) my goal is a good 130-140 db SQL system....Ima start a thread on that but can u give me somemore info on sq...thanks

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 618
getting a 140 db SQL setup is pretty easy. I get a high 140 to low 150db setup right now. Proper imaging, a nice HU, good install, and some pretty good products to start off with is a good place to start.

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 30
If you put the tweeter in the floor it will sound from the floor even with time correction, T.C. will only make a speakers volume lower so it seems to be farther or closer to you, correctly set, your ears will get the same volume from all speakers so the speaker closer to you won't be louder than the others.

Maybe you can find a spot for the tweeter not to high but not near the floor. I know you don't want to hear the same thing again "if it sounds good for you..." but that's the main reason we all give different opinions. And in your case it may be true what alteraudiousa says, because your speakers are so far from the tweeters. By the way my dad has a Trailblazer (w/Bose system) with the tweeters facing at the windshield, personally I don't like how it sounds.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5941
Time correction is a delay circuit, not a volume adjustor. If that were the case, you'd just use the balance knob on a factory head unit. It delays the output of a driver in order to alter the effective phase that you percieve.

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 33
I know T.C. is a dealy circuit, but the results are pretty much the same, I have an Alpine 9833 HU which has TC, since I have only speakers in front I get the same results from turning the balance a little to the right, and setting up the T.C. to 1.8 in the FrontLeft Speaker. The problem is when you have more than 2 speakers, that's when time correction may be useful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us