Balanced Dome Tweeters VS. Silk Dome Tweeters

Username: Mpizzel

Post Number: 1
I would like to know if balanced dome tweeters are better than silk dome tweeters??

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1297
really i say thats a personal preference kinda thing. a lot of people say the balanced domes (which i assume your talking about hard dome tweeters) are harsh vs the silks which are smooth.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 857
When talkin tweeters there are a couple of things to take into consideration.

Soft domes do not have upper end. This is because the fabric is just not stiff enough to vibrate at those cycles/second. Fabric is also not as efficient.

Metal domes are able to maintain stiffness and can be extremely efficient compared to fabric. They can get annoying quick if you have sensitive ears. They also are a lot clearer than most soft fabric tweeters, and therefore they bring out all the garbage that you normally wouldnt hear and this also can get annoying.

When you said ballanced, I am thinking you are reffering to a "BALLANCED SET".

Some extreme high end tweeters only come in ballanced sets, such as ribbon tweeters. I am not sure what you mean by ballanced domes. Please clarify.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5745
I can't remember which audio company used to advertise "balanced domes". It wasn't the super high end tweets like you're thinking.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 852
balanced domes are commonly referred to "w-domes"

some infinity reference use (or used) these, such as the 3.5 inch.

a balanced dome basically looks like a small cone tweeter.

this is a picture of a speaker with a balanced dome tweeter. I can see the difference, but that may because I am familiar with the difference and can look for it.

http://www.energenix.com/sony-ssmb200h.gif

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 853
ahhhh...here's a good picture of a balanced dome tweeter.

http://207.142.131.37/fullsize/KFC1069S.jpg
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us