SEAS lotus

Bronze Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Post Number: 39
where the hell can you find these online to buy or even look at the prices cuz ive herd these are like the best. any links?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5828
http://www.mobilesq.com

That's the authorized retailer

http://www.seaslotus.com

That's the Lotus main site for info

http://www.acoustictechnology.sg/t_reference.html

There's a more in-depth look at the technology used in the set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
i still have no clue how much they cost and how to get them

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2283
it's on the site, dude
http://www.mobilesq.com/store/index.php?cPath=27_30

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
thanks now whats the difference between performance and referance range besides price

Gold Member

Post Number: 2284
Just tap on the pretty pictures. All will be revealed:-)
If you have any tech questions after that, I'm certain Jonathan will acquiesce your request.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5829
Reference set overall is just better. Main difference is midrange clarity and the detail of both tweeter and woofer. The Reference set is simply smoother, more detailed, and more composed at high volumes.

Bronze Member
Username: Blair

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 19
Whilst on the topic of these...

1. how well do these perform off axis?

2. is it worthwhile running them actively?

3. Do the mids play well down to 50hz?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5837
"1. how well do these perform off axis?"

Extremely well. You have to have the soft dome tweeter if you want it to have good off axis performance, though, the metal dome is more an on-axis tweet (different dome profile).

"2. is it worthwhile running them actively?"

Can be, but if you're not experienced with an active setup you're better off with the passives. The passives have a notch filter to tame the resonance of the magnesium cone, and use an inductor to flatten the rising FR of the driver. Basically, yes, you can run them active with great results, but you have to be knowledgeable enough to take advantage of it.

"3. Do the mids play well down to 50hz?"

They'll can play down to 50hz and do it pretty loud w/o breaking up, but they aren't that authoritative down low. It isn't boom boom midbass, it's a flatter drier sound. Drivers like those from Focal or DLS would be more punchy and have more output below 80hz or so. A crossover freq. of 80hz is more realistic out of the Lotus comps, which is plenty for good integration with a sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thanks for the info. Couldn't imagine a clearer answer.

At the moment I have the BA pro60's... and they aren't really my taste. Not all that satisified with the mid, dip anywhere below 80hz and it gets messy. I covered all the holes in the doors with MDF and there was little improvement. The tweeter's are harsh even with the attenuation set to the minimum. I bought a pair of audax soft domes and it was a drastic improvement. Much smoother and both apeared to lift stage height. The latter I think was due to a mild 'horn' around the dome itself, however they arent as detailed as i'd like.

These are my planned upgrades:

2 or 3 ID max's in an AP enclosure with around 500w each. They are dual 2 ohm so its either 1.33 ohm for three and use a monoblock (few 'top shelf' amps to choose from) or 2 ohm if I only run 2 which really opens things up in the amp selection department. Was thinking a zapco reference 1100.1 if i ran with 2 subs and 350.2 for the front end (I want matching amp set)

In your opinion is it worth running the 3rd sub?

What front stage will compliment the subs? I like my music slighly more fruitful neutral but not as dynamic as say focals....

I've really got myself confused by giving myself too many options and am struggling to make any decisions.

Any Input is much appreciated

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5838
2 ID Max's AP should still be sufficient for most, it just depends on how loud you really want it. I'd definately be happy with it output-wise.

The Zapco amps are great.

The Lotus comps may or may not suit you. The sound itself is extremely neutral, but it is NOT a warm sound. Some would define it as surgical, they are definately a detail set, moreso than Focals, Dyns, DLS, and others similar to that. They aren't harsh at all, but they are detailed to the point of bringing out every flaw in a poor recording. Midbass output is good, the mid can play flat to 40hz in a door and do it to relatively high output levels, but like I said above, 80hz is more realistic. But, an ID Max should be able to mate with that quite well.

Look into the Polk Audio SRs, also Morel and Dynaudio. Not aggressive like the Focals. The SRs especially have good midbass output, with a very natural, detailed sound and a smooth tweeter. Very well rounded set, on the warm side. Dyns and Morels are a bit darker in midrange, with similar tweeters as far as smoothness.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3383
Also look into CDT comps such as the HD62 set with the DRT-25 or DRT-26 tweeter which gives you your choice of silk, aluminum and titanium. Very Nice set for the price you pay. CDT crossovers are very nice!

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2383
warm, neutral, surgical... i know the definition of all these words of course but im not sure to what exactly they pertain to the sounding of a speaker set. the only ones i can totally understand is smooth crisp clean loud sharp and harsh. lol

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1489
i'm going with a Zapco 750.2 for my ID MAX and a Zapco REF 350.2 for my Rainbows. should be some great stuff.

i've always thought the midbass sucked on Boston speakers too.

have you thought about some Rainbows??

(man, i can't wait to get all this stuff. lol)

also, been hearing a lot about AP elclosures lately, does anyone know a link to where i can read up on them?? don't know anything about them...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2290
http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=18
http://www.audiogearreviews.com/tech/theory/enclosure_design/aperiodic_membrane. asp
http://www.rtol.net/scornell/installphotos.htm

As far as the mnid-bass on the bostons go, I think the old Pro's did quite a decent job. In fact, on the verge of boomy. Unless that's what you were refering to.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Havent looked into rainbows yet. I don't know if anyone will ship them to Australia..

I was thinking of maybe getting a 3way set with an 8" driver like the DLS iridium 8.3's??

still at odds as to whether or not to run the system active? If i did i would be paying a professional to tune it.

With the subs in the AP enclosure, as long as they are able to reach the 135+db benchmark im happy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2293
The Iridium .3's are stellar. The 8" has its issues though, and I'm not sure if the prototype has made its way into production of the Iridiums. In fact, I'm not certain if it ever will, as I believe the Nobeliums are to take the Iridium's place.
Regardless, if you go that route, you might consider inquiring as to the availability of their improved 8".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us