Is this enough port area?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1853
hey guys, im brainstorming on ideas for my box for my SI mag 15s. i was thinking 8cuft net (1 box 2 subs) interior dimensions 15x27x45 with (8) 4 inch flared ports 40inches long. tune is appx 28hz. do you think 8 4 inch ports is enough port area? thats appx 100inches of port. remember these subs move 3 inch P2P! should i try to make it 10 4 inch ports? its hard when the ports get long for round ports... i may fall back on slot or square ports but i like the flared port idea lol. the box is going to have 1.5 inch thick walls EVERYWHERE! and one brace in the middle 1.5 inches thick.

and besides the port area question i have one more... how am i going to get it in my truck? lol its going to weigh probably close to 300 lbs im guessing....

thanks guys

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1857
bump

Bronze Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 71
Dude I have no idea, I was actually going to ask you a box building question, haha.

I got a PA Mofo-12" that I want to build a much better simple ported box for. Do you know where I can find the perfect dimensions for a box for this sub? I am pretty good with craftsmanship but I want to use a premade set of dimensions so that I know what frequency I will end up with. The manufacturer says tune the box to 40 hz, but I think 35 might be best? Also, they recommend 2.4 cu ft, and I want to go bigger if it will help the output. Thanks Trevor

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2189
8 4" flared ports for 2 SI Mag 15's....yea, thats more than enough. lol

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1861
marshal- why does this site
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31
say you always need so much port area. i know you dont need that much at all but i was just wondering if yoiu knew about what was going on witht the site. (im tlkaing about the top part of the page. it says i need minimum 215 sqinches. i know thats not right. lol.

lewass- by using one of these 2 links you can choose the size you want (2.4 cuft net) and the max dimensions you can fit in your car. then select 35hz tuning. it will designs you a box and tell you exactly how to build it. goodluck!
http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/l-ported-box.htm
http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/ported-box.asp

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 320
does internal volume include the volume inside the port when building to specs? in other words for a SX 12, would i make the 1.9 cu ft after displacement, and then add the port? a total of like 3.5 cu ft? of just the whole boz 1.9?

Bronze Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 77
Thanks Trevor, I'll check that out.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1261
Trevor thats more than enough port area. Dont worry about it!

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1872
net internal volume is the volume after sub AND port displacement.

thanks guys for your insite!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us