Am i missing anything?

Silver Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 171
What i have:
Pioneer head unit 50wattsx4
4 infinity speakers (around 100watts rms each)
2 alpine type R's (500watts rms each)
tsunami wiring kit (it says 4awg does that mean 4 guage?)

what i am getting:
orion 1200D for subs
orion 4002 for speakers
(total of 1600watts rms)

What i think i need:
HO alt. how many amps?
Maybe 0 or 2 guage wiring?
speaker wire (what size?)
distribution block
1.5 or 2 farad cap?
another battery or no?

I have a 99 cavalier z24 and when i just had an audiobahn a8002T and 2 subs my lights would dim so i def think that i need to do something about the power supply but i dont know how much so i was wondering if anyone who would know could help me out thanks in advance...

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 208
AWG stands for american wire guage, so yes.

if yer lights dim already, and now yer upping the power even more, i would def suggest a alt upgrade. maybe a 180amp alt. 1600W RMS = 111 amps at 14.4 volts (plus the rest of yer car has to run! i'd give it atleast 60A for normal car stuff).

you'll need atleast 2guage for yer subamp, and atleast 6guage for yer 4ch amp. what you can do is get a 0guage line from yer batt and use a distribution block to split it into a 2 guage line (for the subamp) and a 4guage line (use the tsunami stuff you have) for yer 4ch amp.

only get caps if you get that new alt and yer lights don't dim, or else they won't do anything for you. you'd need a 2.5F cap for yer subamp and a 1F cap for yer 4ch amp.

i would also suggest a optima yellowtop to replace yer existing car batt. you won't need two batts unless you wanna run yer system with yer car off for extended amounts of time.

use 12guage speaker wire all around.

have fun! get an alarm, and bolt yer stuff down. security first!

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 403
a cap will help but it will not solve a problem if you are experiencing large voltage drops. get the red top battery you only need the yellow if you plan on running your sytsem w/ the car off plus the red top is cheaper. but definately do what Infinity addict said if you are running 1600 watts rms you will definately need a HO alt. you may need a distribution block if you have 2 amps unless you would want to run to 2 power wires from the battery for each which i would suggest b/c that what i am currently doing plus it will save you a little bit of money by not having to get a distribution block.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
k thanks, but would it be ok to use 0 guage wire from the battery to the distribution block and then 4 guage to the speaker's amp and 0 guage to the sub's amp or will that be to much power going to the sub's amp? and should i only use 2guage? cause if i can use 0guage then i can just buy that one kit and not have to buy 2guage at all. also what about rca cables? i believe that my head unit has 2 pre amp outputs but wouldnt i need 3? 2 for each channel on the orion 4002 and 1 for the orion 1200D?

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
actually i just looked at the specs on the 4002 and it says that it has a preamp output... is that made for running rca cables from amp to amp so i dont have to run them from the head unit? im still getting used to all this so thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 210
how much power the sub's amp craves is determined by the amp, not the wire. so yes, you could run 4guage to yer 4ch amp and 0guage to yer subamp, however, you won't find a distribution block that has a 0guage input and a 0guage output. dist. blocks always go from big input to smaller outputs. the easiest thing would be for you to get a 0guage t-block and hook up yer amps this way. don't forget to fuse yer 0guage near the battery, and you'll also need to appropriately fuse the wires that come out from the t-block.

2guage is the minimum size you should use for powering yer subamp, feel free to go bigger, but don't go smaller. same with 4guage pertaining to yer 4ch amp.

for yer install, don't buy a kit. figure out where you'll be mounting yer amps and placing your enclosure, then determine the lengths of different guage wires you'll be needing. you'll probably end up needing about 20-25ft of 0guage, that t-block, and very small amounts of 2guage (or 0guage of you have some left over) and 4guage. and don't forget that yer ground wires coming out from each amp need to be the same guage as the power wires going into them, respectively.

as far as RCAs go. you will need to run two pair (one pair for the front channel, and one pair for the rear) from yer HU to yer 4ch amp. then you can buy a smaller RCA and use that nifty rear channel preout on yer 4ch amp to "daisy chain" it to yer subamp's input.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
thanks man... i think that i am just going to run two wires so that i dont have to buy any 2 guage wire and just run a 4 guage (which i already have) and buy a 0 guage kit to run right to my other amp, and i get what you mean by the RCA cables... and my subs just came in today they look so sweet they are so heavy i cant wait to hook them up... they are like twice the size as my audiobahn ones that i blew that were almost rated the same power. i cant wait... if anyone else thinks im missing anything let me know thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us