Learning... advice on 'simple' setup?

Username: Ddunkyn

Atlanta, Georgia U s a

Post Number: 1
Great Site! New member, been reading up on soundstage and what goes where, from the front to back. I have an old BMW '81 5 series sedan with stock 4x6's in the fronts & rears.

I've read to not worry 'bout the rears so much, so I'm thinking some Infinity 4x6 45w rms in fronts & rears, and adding some 6x9s 100-120w in the rear seat kick panels (down low near the floor), then a 10" (or two 8s, not sure) sub in the trunk.

Does that sound decent? Would I need a 4 channel amp to power: 1-the fronts, 2-the rears, 3-the 6x9s, & 4- the woofer. Or do I need to learn some amp knowledge too? Should I just run the fronts and the sub? Or just the 6x9s and the sub? Kinda confused at this part.

I've learned more here in one night than surfing the web for a week. Any help appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3413
Buy components instead or reg speakers if $ permitting

u can use a 4 chan , run speakers on 2 chan & use other 2 to run a single sub or 2 lower wrms subs .

Alot of ppl rec u not run rearfill but imo i like it - so thats up 2u .

If u want a bit more bass ,then its best if u buy a 4chan & also a separate 2chan or Mono amp for subs ......

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 299
I agree with Rovin, you'll be alot happier if you spend more time and effort installing good components in the front doors and a decently powerful subwoofer in the trunk. You can run these off of a powerful 4 channel amp, or 2 seperate amplifiers. Also don't overlook sound deadening, it can provide alot of improvment for the price.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 245
They make a 4x6 component and use an amp ofr all the internal speakers

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 667
Yea, you'll definately want components instead of 6x9s or 4x6s. Also, if you want to run 6 speakers in your car, plus subs, you'll need more than a 4 channel. You need at least 1 channel to each speaker (or each crossover for comps), bridging to a sub will take 2 channels unless you get a seperate mono amp.
Also, being new, don't hesitate to ask questions, although some are dumb. A lot of questions may already be answered so do a quick search first. Have fun!

Username: Ddunkyn

Atlanta, Georgia U s a

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the good advice. I'll be checking into components and amps. Definitely more questions as they come up. Oh, Ebay does have a good spread of components, especially for a novice looking around at all the options.

Cheers.
Dave

Username: Kevho66

Spring, TX United States

Post Number: 9
why are components so much better?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 676
You're splitting up frequencies ranges between two drivers so each driver is more dedicated to strictly the frequencies they need to put out. Plus they're louder because of the extra driver. Also, if you're running components, you almost always are amping them, so that is also a huge improvement over running speakers off your HU.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3540
well since both David/Kevin are newbies on this forum here's a general guide for both of u

http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

good mid budget components are
alpine
Infinity
JL
MB Quart etc.......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us