Sound deadening... where should I put it?

Bronze Member
Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 63
Okay, I've searched and searched on several forums, and I just can't find much information about what to apply sound dampening to. This is for an SQ system going into a Mazda 3... Fairly well built, but just an econo box.

The door construction is metal outer panel, plastic inner panel. 1/4" MDF mounting bracket for the speaker, which is attached to the plastic panel.

My first concern is making sure that I get some mid bass out of my door mounted 6.5"s. I'm guessing that for pure noise reduction... sticking deadener everywhere is the solution... but in terms of increasing SQ, and midbass response, where do I want to deaden?

The metal panel in behind? (whole thing, or just the area behind the driver?) The plastic panel? The MDF mounting plate?

What about products like "Deflex power pads" which are supposed to be applied on the door behind a speaker to deflect the sound waves coming back, so they don't cause distortion...

http://www.cardomain.com/item/CAEDPP7

Also, I saw a post here by Glasswolf, quite some time ago.. where he suggested putting deadener on in 2" strips.. 3 or 4 inches apart. Anything more than that is wasting material... true?

Finally, this might belong more in the subwoofer section.. but I think it's related... what about inside my sub enclosure? It's a small sealed enclosure, 0.75 cuft. Does it make sense to apply deadener to the inner walls of it? What about fiberfill? I've read that fiberfill makes a small box perform like a larger one... well my box is already the recommended size for the sub... does adding fiberfill have other advantages, like reducing distortion etc?

Anyways, I've got about 80sq ft of deadener coming, and I'm trying to figure out what the best bang for my buck will be in terms of where to stick this stuff :-)

Hope some of you can shed some light... there doesn't seem to be much info floating around about this. Plenty of discussion about what brand to choose (nobody agrees), but very little info about what to do with the silly stuff :-)

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 435
pretty much you want to put deadner anywhere that the speakers will come in contact with the door and behind them(should do the same thing the lil panels do). also anywhere that rattles like your trunk lid. deadner inside the box can help, don't know how to explain but it'll reduse noise comming from the back of the sub which can interfere. and polyfil can change the sub responce. not totally sure, i'm sure you'll get some other replies. hopefully this will be a start.

Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 64
bump.. anyone else?

Bronze Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Watauga, TX United States

Post Number: 91
GOto crutchfield.com and go under there soudn dampening products and they have a video that explains how to do it and where exactly to put it.

Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 65
Thanks, didn't answer many/any of my questions though... their information is VERY general.

So, doors:
The metal panel in behind? (whole thing, or just the area behind the driver?) The plastic panel? The MDF mounting plate?

What about sound wave deflector pads? Any help?

and sub enclosure:
Stuff it with fiberfill anyways, even though I don't need more space? Line it with deadener?

kevsbigbuallsack
Unregistered guest
do one layer covering as much as possible. then a second layer behind and around the speaker, completely seal the door, if you wanna be hardcore about it. but it sounds good no matter what

epattonm
Unregistered guest
Try here. This is the advice I've followed. They also have a live tech service (chat room style)

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=10&pid=25&tab=Apps&cur=USD
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us