My future car...

Bradley M
Unregistered guest
Hello all, i'm almost 16, but i'm really excited about getting my first car.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2037000-2037999/2037032_5_full .jpg]
This is a picture of subs i found online.
I don't know how subs are set up in a car, but i was just wondering, can someone tell me the basic set-up, and/or what i would need other than the subs and a box to get the maximum bass out of these type of subs. I'll most likely be getting a 2002 Chevy Cavalier

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 256
youll need:
an amplifier - to power your subwoofers
wires - to send signals and power
-power cable to send +12volt electricity to amp
-ground cable - same as power although since negative electricity flows throughout your car you find a spot close to the amplifer about a foot distance and find a bolt or some unpainted surface and either bolt or solder the wire onto the frame
-rca cables to send the musical signals from your head unit (radio) to your amplifier
-remote wire - connected to back of radio to a blue wire so when you turn your head unit on the amplifier powers on

a box - to house and get the true power out of the subwoofers (cannot be any box needs to be a sealed Medium Densitity Fiberboard box that fits the specifications of the subwoofer

A subwoofer - well duhh

if your putting extreme power into your car youll need a new upgraded alternator which recharges your battery as your engine goes as well as a new battery or even a seperate one just for your audio system

what is your budjet we could help you out with a system and i would stick around here for a couple weeks until you buy your system ... doing it right the first time saves alot of time money and agrivation

also stick away from audiobahn , lanzar , pyle , pyramid , boss ... mostly the price of a subwoofer will tell you the quality but there are always the exceptions

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1487
Those subs are Alpine type R , the 2 on the ends are current models 500wrms & the 1 in the centre is the older 400wrms model if i'm not mistaken

since u are new i'd suggest u start reading here 1st
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-HFJHGu6S9OS/learningcenter/car/
then www.the12volt.com & www.bcae1.com

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1488
also a good read http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 439
good call rovin

Silver Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 440
register Brad

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1150
And don't but a Cavalier. That's one car Chevy should have definantly not made...

Well... at least the cheaper models.

Silver Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 446
Just make sure its american

Gold Member

Post Number: 1152
*buy

And this is from a mechanics view. I see more Cavaliers than any other one car...

Silver Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 447
I see a lot of mitsubishi's in the shop

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 51
"also stick away from audiobahn , lanzar , pyle , pyramid , boss ... mostly the price of a subwoofer will tell you the quality but there are always the exceptions"

I have to agree here with Robert...but most exceptions the general public haven't heard of...usually if you can find them at a flee market then stay the heck away!! EBay is a good place to look but be careful some places sell items that carry NO warranty. I would highly recommend having someone present who has done this before. It is always best to learn from someone who has done it before. You will find that some "people" will say that Audiobahn (or other brands mentioned) are good brands...take it from us although they may sound ok or may even be loud, longevity is always the key. If you were to really push those subs as hard as their manufactures claim they can handle I believe they would blow. Maybe not right away but after time for sure...time is just ticking away. I only say this because I have experience with the lower grade brands AND the more expensive brands. Currently I have 2 Alpine Type-R's and yes as Rovin pointed out the 2 on the ends are the newer 500 Watt RMS (Root Mean Square) which are the ones I have. I have also owned personally (not including what I have done for others): Targa, Lanzar, Audiobahn, Sony, Profile, Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, MTX, JL Audio, Kicker and Alpine. So just to give you an idea of some of the brands I have dealt with. Just some food for thought...

Bradely m
Unregistered guest
I like the newer monte carlos, my parents just thought i should have a smaller car as my first. One of my friends has JL audios. Anybody know what setup they might use? What kind of Amp, box, subs and cables...?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1495
"Targa" - now there's a brand i have honestly never heard of in car audio , what other brands are like in the same bracket with it ?

The only other Targa brand i knew off a loooong time ago was a company that makes spoilers/flair kits ...lol

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1496
Bradley M - do take 2 minutes of your time to register ...Upload

Here are some good car audio sites so u can get an idea of what stuff costs
www.sonicelectronix.com
www.onlinecarstereo.com
www.woofersetc.com

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 52
""Targa" - now there's a brand i have honestly never heard of in car audio , what other brands are like in the same bracket with it ?

The only other Targa brand i knew off a loooong time ago was a company that makes spoilers/flair kits ...lol"

Well it was an amp that I got from a buddy of mine for like $20 and the thing was bullet proof. It was one of the very first amps I had ever installed and had many mess ups. I would think the amp woulda likely died after many electrical malfunctions and being dropped MANY times or just being flung around the trunk. I did some research and found out that the home audio company Sherwood owns the car audio company Targa...the models are different in appearance then the one I have. Overall I was pretty satisfied with the amp...but I wouldn't be too reassured that Targa is a good brand just because my experience was good. If you would like to see their stuff go here: http://www.sherwoodusa.com/index.html I would still recommend going with a well known brand (but good) for a first system just because of warranties. Oh and yeah I would still throw the Targa brand in with the "Lanzar, Boss, Pyle and so on" group, but only because they are soooo obscure.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10812
read www.bcae1.com if you want a good basic understanding of how car audio works.

Mikey5665
Unregistered guest
I was just reading over this, and i'm looking into buyin some subs for my 98 Chrysler Sebring. I see that JL audio seems to be good. Does anyone know if i should go towards a w7 series or W3v2 or W1v2...? I want some deep clean sounding bass.

bradley M.
Unregistered guest
Is it really necessary to buy a new head unit to get the most bass i want?

Bronze Member
Username: 69vwvan

Winamac, Indiana USA

Post Number: 20
"if you can find them at a flee market then stay the heck away!!"

lol. i found a pair of jlw0's at a flee market once.

Bronze Member
Username: Proks

Post Number: 48
What you boys think of RE???

Bronze Member
Username: Proks

Post Number: 49
What you boys think of RE???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1154
RE is currently the sh1t. :P

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1508
Tanslation of above - they are the no1 subs choice apparently of memebers on this forum .

Followed VERY closely by Alpine Type R 12" subs - lol

Bronze Member
Username: Thebigdon

Post Number: 16
brad - you can use line output converters (LOC's) to tap into the signal coming to your rear speakers. you can then take this signal and send it to your amp for your subs. it might not sound quite as good as a new headunit, but you wont need to buy a new headunit.

bradley m
Unregistered guest
What kinda amp would you suggest for those JL audio w7 10 inch?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3937
"RE is currently the sh1t. :P"

"Followed VERY closely by Alpine Type R 12" subs"

And some of us are very sick of them.

Someday other members of this forum will actually gain some experience of their own and actually talk about other brands besides the one or two that seem to be this month's bandwagon...

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 132
i would say lanzar baby, but i left that boat when i got my xxx's baby!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Moondog1212

New York United States

Post Number: 31
soundstream xxx's? if so tell what they sound like i've seen them, and they are massive.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1354
not soundstream xxx's

he's talking about resonant engineering xxx's.
www.reaudio.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us