Need Help in Choosing a Particular System

Username: Realest

Post Number: 2
Hi everyone, i'm sort of new here, just wanted to ask for abit of advice on a new system if that's alright.

I own a BMW 318i (2001 model) i'm basically looking for something that'll give me alot of bass, yet at the same time, clarity.
So far for the head unit, i'm currently interested in a JVC KD-AVX1, mainly for the reason that it looks pretty flashy, also it's probably the most decent one I could find that allows me to maintain control of my steering wheel functions for the stereo without any extra adapters.
For a subwoofer, i've come to the conclusion of getting a Brahma 15D2 because I really like my bass to have some "balls" behind it, i heard it along side a W7 and personally, for my ears the brahma really impressed me.
as far as amp and speakers go though i'm not too sure, it's a very confusing department for me. All i know is that i want splits at the front, and i would hope for 6x9's at the back although my parcel tray on the rear of the car seems to be a metallic made one which has the car's stock speakers kind of moulded into it, because of that, i'm not sure if i can fit 6x9's into it, or maybe have to settle with standard 6 inch mid range.
For an amp, i want something pretty powerful ofcourse to be able to handle that kind of sub, particularly later on if i decide to put 2 in there for whatever reason.

if anyone can give me some advice on this, inclusive of weather I can make a better selection of a head unit or sub.

cheers :-)

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 799
"i'm not sure if i can fit 6x9's into it, or maybe have to settle with standard 6 inch mid range."
that's a good thing.
a) 6.5" aree much better suited for sq anyway
b) you would be better off placing those 6.5 up front for imaging purposes. you want your stage to come from in front of you. then if you choose, you can just run some midbasses in the back with a mono signal. but you shouldn't have the higher frequencies eminating from the rear. just from the front.

what's your price range? components and amps.

Great choice on your sub. w7 eaters, those brahmas are.

Post Number: 3
my price range is roughly US$3000 (expected), but i'm pretty lenient, i'm willing to go upto an including US$6000, nothing really ever stays within budget as long as i find something suitable.

Bronze Member
Username: Firlefanz

Post Number: 68
@realest D
as mike said, a) definetly

As far as I remember 6,5 won't fit into the back (should be 5), but there are adaptors available for 6x9 and 6,5. Look in the net (Dietz or AIV).

But:
why not skip speakers in the rear and spend this on the front. Trust us on this one.
I have tried the rearfill too but ended up with (this frontsys):

Midbass: 4 x Phase Audiophile W 6,5 in boards p.e.:
http://www.carhifidirekt.de/catalog/product_info.php/pName/doorboards-bmw-serie- 3-berlina-e46/cName/pm-doorboards-bmw
or look for Jehnert.

Mids + hights: Focal 136 W Utopia is going to be replaced by Phase Evolution CFS 13,5 shortly
Forget about orignal mounting spaces in the footroom in front, they just blow on your socks.

Sub: Phase Aliante 12 SI LTD
Amp: Da Vinci
HU: IVA 310R +
proc.: PXA 701 without Rux (not necessary)
Signal wires: 4x Oehlbach 0,8 m (3 ft) 4 x Mini DIN from BLT
6 m Power+ 2 m Ground 0 gauge or 50mm² (lucky you, your batt is in the trunk)
Speakercable: AIV goldenline 2,5 mm²
CAP: Brax IPC
Fuse: AIV 120A ANL
Terminals: AIV +/- 1x50+ 2x20+ 1x 10mm²
Batt: Exide
Alarm: Viper
all stuck to BMW 316i Limo 97

and bang the 3ks are gone. With 6K you can do much better.

The Brahma is a fine choice. Other options for 3 way front is DLS iridium 6.2 or Rainbow CS platinum. Focal to some point (personal taste).
When it comes to Amps, take look at Brax
http://www.audiotec-fischer.com

What kind of 318? Limo?
If its a limo, behind the backseat is a metal shield, which makes it very difficult to get some bass into the cabin.

If you are lucky, you have a foldable armrest in the midddle of the backseat. Behind this you have a load thru option to the trunk. Take this out to let the sub freq get into the cabin or build a custom enclosure around it.

Post Number: 4
my 318 is an executive model sedan (4 door) with a foldable armrest in the middle of the back seat yes.
this really helped me a lot, thanks for all the info and links....although it's gonna be fun navigating and trying to purchase off german sites :D
Those Brax amps look very nice too...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
@realest D'
and they do have exellent sound. The powersupply also is worth to consider, cause BMW drivers don't have many choices when it comes to alternators, as you might have stumbled over the constant threads here.

Have you noticed the 6 ch. amp which they are building and selling on Ebay for the tsunami victims? (auction)
Thats what I would like, bad thing is it just doesn't fit (1,0 m= 39")
Last one was sold for about 3500 EUR/3800 USD.

If you look for a good quality check out Steg and maybe Sinfoni (GlassWolf might be able to tell you more).
There is even somebody here in this forum who lives in/ nearby the town where they are produced.

Just to give you something to look at what I meant with the armrest/ sub solution:
http://www.car-hifi-creativ.de/frame.html

The doorboards of Jehnert are better than the ones shown on that page.

When it comes to speakers review some of Mikechec9's posts, he lays it out clearly and very well explained :
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/153369.html

Have fun navigating, if you found something and need help let me know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Whoops,
look for the link on the left where it says
"Einbau Galerie". Didn't want to make it complicate on you :-)

Post Number: 5
Ah wow, that gives me a lot of fresh ideas actually, thanks again.
and that 6ch Amp would work quite afew wonders it seems, definitely worth a look. This is really helping my particular taste of sound, when it comes to audio cd's, sometimes i go through the trouble of of making them into DTS audio, so that my music can sort of be played through proper surround sound at true 5.1 or 6.1 as well, (I know my stuff when it comes to home theatre, but i'm very new to the car audio scene), although i hope when it comes to optical/toslink and coxial digital audio connections it's realistically the same thing for both.

Post Number: 6
I just had one more question regarding the Sub i'm interested in (Brahma 15D2)
I was told that i really should consider a 12" because 15" and over respond too slow when it comes to quicker tempo, such as dance music, therefore making it annoying to the listener/s.
With this particular sub, is that also the case? If anyone would know that has heard one with a variety of music...
Also if it is the case...would the difference between a 12D2 and a 15D2 be anything significant?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us