Is 1 preout enough?

rl1cool
Unregistered guest
I'm not experienced with car audio at all but I wanted to upgrade the head unit in my car. The only problem is the head unit I bought (JVC KD-DV5100) only has 1 preout. I will be using my car's factory amp, sub and speakers. Now with me knowing as little as I do; am I going to be able to connect my amp and other required equipment to my head unit regardless of it having only one preout? I am aware that the head unit does not allow for bass and treble control which is "okay" with me. I am only concerned with standard operation. Any help on the subject is appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9412
what you'll need in addition to that head unit is a PAC OEM-1 interface, along with the PAC harnesses for the OEM-1 that allow you to tap into the factory harnesses for your type of car, and connect the factory stereo system to your new head unit.

rl1cool
Unregistered guest
I bought a regular wire harness for my car (97' Infiniti J30) from best buy. Do I not need the regular wire harness but this special one instead? Or is this an extra thing that I need to purchase? I have read a lot of posts of your GlassWolf and I just wanted to say thank you for all the help you give people!

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9423
take a pwwk at one of these

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERSVEN4

just used one in a maxima.

rl1cool
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the link that helps a lot. Just one clarification; should I keep the wire harness I purchased or do I not need it?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9432
you shouldn't need the one you have.
that one is more for using if you don't have a premium system with a factory amp.

rl1cool
Unregistered guest
I have been trying to find specifications on the factory audio of my J30 but have not been able to come up with anything yet. I ordered the SVEN 4 as you suggested. I guess I will have to only use 4 of the 6 speakers in the car. The sub I guess will get connected with the pair on the HU. Seems like a real pain to replace the Bose unit.

rl1cool
Unregistered guest
Okay so I got all the stuff I need to do this but have a problem. After I connected everything the HU comes on and works fine but there is no sound from my speakers. I assume that i wired something somewhere wrong. What I did was just match the colors from the power cable on the HU to the input on the Peripheral Super VEN4 and then the output of that to the wire harness. I was looking at the diagrams and for some of the installations it shows some of the negative wires not connected. The problem is that it only shows wire guides for GM, Ford and such. I need to know how to wire this for a Nissan/Infiniti. Any advice glasswolf?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9632
yeah.. never match colors.. go by what the wires are actually for.
www.the12volt.com has a database for wiring color codes

rl1cool
Unregistered guest
I matched them by what they are for but it still didnt work. Long story short profesional install for the win. thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us