Box effect

Bronze Member
Username: Bigred2069

Post Number: 75
will a box really make or break ur system?
i was wanting to build my own box but ive been lookin at some stuff on it and making a custom box looks impossible. i want to build a ported box and there are these huge equations for port length box size ect and idk if i want to get into all that mess cus i dont have all the time in the world with shcool year bout to start and football

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 887
Yea it really does.
What position u play in football?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
dang. would it be a bad idea to buyu a premade ported box?

tight end and defensive tackle. im more of an offensive player i start at tight end we just all have 2 possitions

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 325
Yes, it's a bad idea to buy a premade box because all subs have different box needs. Are you more of a blocking or catching tight end.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
alright well ill look into a custom box then
i do mostly blocking but i have some routes. ill have catches but not too many hahaha

Bronze Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 73
You really don't want to buy a prefab box. The box must be designed specifically for the sub to work with it. I will design you a box though if you answer a few questions for me...

1) Do you want SQ / SQL / SPL (Sound quality / mix / Pure Loudness)

2) Is this for daily use, competition, or both?

3) What music do you listen to?

4) What are the theile small specs? These will include, but are not limited to: Spl, Qts, Qes, Qms, Vas, Sd, BL, etc

5) What are the maximum desired dimensions for the box?

6) What kind and size of subs do you have?

7) How many subs do you have?

Email me this info and I'll send you a box design.

Click Here boxbuilder777@yahoo.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
ah jon thanks a ton man i definatley need help. i cant get my email workin at home right now so ill send u that info tommorrow thanks a ton

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 253
Brooks, believe it or not building your first box is not that complicated. I just completed my first box today for my Ava 15" and it only took a couple of hours. The hardest part is making the woofer cutout. Give it a try. There is nothing like looking in your trunk and seeing a finished woofer box that you built.

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
http://www.termpro.com/articles/buildbox.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/ported-box.asp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
thanks oso, i just want to be sure to get the ports right and everthing, cus i have no idea how ported boxes r supposed to be

Bronze Member
Username: Jusjase44

Caribbean, T...

Post Number: 18
hey jon can i ask your opinion? I bought a 10W7 and i am looking to build an enclosure for it now, i have two enclosures in mind right now, tell me your opinion.

All measurement are external using 19mm MDF
1: 13.5 W x 14.5 H x 28 D, Port 12 x 1.5 x 13.55

2: 13.5 W x 14.5 H x 29.25 D, Port 12 x 1.5 x 20.22

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated also

Bronze Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 81
First of all, I want to tell everyone NOT to use those links. No offense, but there is no way that those calculators know what to do. They do not have enough variables for different subs to be accurate at all!! In order to calculate port size, you must have different values for each individual sub. Those calc's do not ask for those values.

Jusjase44:

It really depends on what you are trying to do. Are you looking for SQ? SQL? or SPL? Is it for daily or competition use? What kind of music do you listen to?

Those boxes are both good boxes. The first one you have listed is more of a daily use, SPL box. Be cautious with the first one because of the higher tuning frequency. The second one is also a good daily use, SQL/SPL box. It is great for daily use because of the lower tuning frequency.

Neither of them are going to be SQ boxes however. They will not be the most accurate or good with fast repeated bass notes such as quick drum beats. If you are looking for something more along those lines, let me know. I have already drawn up a few alternatives with a flatter response for SQ if you are interested.

Bronze Member

Caribbean, T...

Post Number: 20
Well i am trying for SQL and its a daily driver with no intentions of competing. I listen to rap, hip hop And R&B mainly.

I am sort of looking for ?? ok let me explain. You are in your house, i pull up by the neighbour opposite, everything in your house is rattling, glsses falling off shelves etc. You are like WTF, you come outside you see my car you realise my car is playin the same music but you are like nah it can be that car, the music aint loud lol

Hey i am always interested in seein box designs

Bronze Member
Username: Proks

Post Number: 39
This is what my father says....The louder the bass the lower the IQ lol, oh man he kills me haha

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8985
that'd be pretty amusing since my car hits a 151 with a system not even designed for SPL, and my IQ is in the "exceptional" range according to MENSA.. hmmm

tell your dad to stick to his lawrence welk reruns.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8986
"You are in your house, i pull up by the neighbour opposite, everything in your house is rattling, glsses falling off shelves etc. You are like WTF, you come outside you see my car you realise my car is playin the same music but you are armed with a shotgun.. suddenly I hear two loud cracks, and my windows explode.. now I'm like WTF??? as I see you standing there, reloading..."

that'd be a bit more accurate.

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 435
LOL^

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8989
why do people strive to build systems that just annoy everybody else?
I really don't get that.

The more you hear anything outside of the car, the less you're going to haer it inside the car.. it's a waste of energy and all you're really doing is losing SPL inside the car as a result.

I understand he wants a loud system, really.. and that's fine. I just don't want to hear it when I'm sitting at home minding my own business, nor does anybody else I'm sure.

the box calculators on www.bcae1.com are more than sufficient to compute box specs for a ported enclosure if that's what you're after, for any sub. As long as you figure in driver and port displacement, you should be fine.

at those volumes you're not going to be able to tell if teh box is off by 2Hz in tuning anyway.
Especially not if you're listening to some top 40 or '3-6 mafia' or something at 140dB

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3429
Why do they want to build systems that are loud, from the outside? Because they are kids, and they want to show off. For lots of teens, car audio is more pride than anything else. I was in that stage once, I'm sure everybody was when they were young enough. They think they're cool if their system is the loudest, and not just from the inside. If your car can be heard from a further distance away than the other guys, then that's all you wanted to accomplish.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9005
I suppose.. still doesn't make it right though.

Anonymous

My first system i wanted loudness but i grew out of that reall fast now its all about sql I took some subs designed for that and put them in ported boxes i hope it will turn out good

Bronze Member

Caribbean, T...

Post Number: 21
Glasswolf i admire your sense of humour. Anyone with a system over say 300 watts (300 good watts)has the potential to annoy people. If you all read that and only came up with i am trying to build a system to annoy people, somethings wrong. Can't anyone see the comparison made to explain how i like my bass? You all have to be a little more open minded on these forums, remember its people from all around the world, different cultures, environments, listening styles. I cant seem to find the part where i said i wanted a loud system

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9026
allow me to illuminate that for you

"I am sort of looking for ?? ok let me explain. You are in your house, i pull up by the neighbour opposite, everything in your house is rattling, glsses falling off shelves etc. You are like WTF"

that'd be the part specifically :-)

I have about 3Kw of RMS power in my car, but that doesn't mean I drive around and shake things off of other peoples' walls in their homes in residential areas. If the car is sound deadened properly, most of the energy from the amplifiers and speakers should be kept in the cabin of the car, instead of being lost outside of the car, or in resonating metal or body panels, etc.

If you want deep bass from a 10W7, I'd build the box slot ported, and tune it to about 34Hz for a 10" to get a good musical response from it, with tight, deep bass. You'll lose a little gain tuning that low, but it'll sound a lot better to your ears.
I'd use 3/4" MDF, and round the edges of turns in the port area ind inside the box at corners. I'd consider doubling the baffle of the enclosure as well, just for added support and bracing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
I finished building and installing my box for my Ava sunday. Today when i came home from work i had it extremely loud and my wife could not here me except for when i pulled in the driveway. I told her that is what im going for. I didn't put all my time and effort into the system so people walking down the street can enjoy it. The only thing is my liscense plate rattles a bit so tommorow I am going to rectify the situation with some second skin. And people don't try to make your sysatem loud to the point where people can here it outside of the car. It is pointless. You want to keep the sound inside the car.

Jon, I also never used those links myself. I just found a link somewhere and thought it would give them an idea of what to do. I should've put that in the post. But you are right there are to many missing factors for them programs to be acurate like the specs for each individual driver.

Bronze Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 95
Jase - AAH You touch a few nerves with that description . These guys hate when people ask for their help to annoy other people with their systems . I knew exactly what you are trying to say though & when you show someone what you got , they say 'wtf - a 10" sub is doing that!' lol.

Bronze Member

Caribbean, T...

Post Number: 24
Yea i realise but they keep missing the comparison. It was to show the frequencys i want to reproduce, why you all stuck on the driving around shaking things of shelves, its a comparison, its was said so you all understand what i meant.

Ok, so now tell me which part of that said, that is what i am gonna do? If its this "I am sort of looking for ??" then you all took it wrong and i will appologise for not explaining myself clearly. I meant "I am sort of looking for low deep bass" I didnt think that would have explained what i wanted like the comparison (everyone might have a different idea of low and deep).

Thats where this part came in "you come outside you see my car you realise my car is playin the same music but you are like nah it can't be that car, the music aint loud lol"
(jus realise i missed a "'t" b4, was supposed to be can't not can)

I want to quote Glasswolf

"I have about 3Kw of RMS power in my car, but that doesn't mean I drive around and shake things off of other peoples' walls in their homes in residential areas."

After reading that, know what i get from it, striving to build a system whether to annoy people or not (cause either way it can annoy people) is not a problem the problem comes when you play it and actually annoy people

Now after making a statement like that i expext you all to drop the

1: "why do people strive to build systems that just annoy everybody else?",

2: "Why do they want to build systems that are loud, from the outside? Because they are kids, and they want to show off."

Keep in mind the different countries and cultures thing cuz i could go on but i will stop here

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9039
"Yea i realise but they keep missing the comparison. It was to show the frequencys i want to reproduce, why you all stuck on the driving around shaking things of shelves, its a comparison, its was said so you all understand what i meant."

then just say you want something that hits really low, in the 35Hz and lower range. You're the one who used the description of knocking things off of peoples' walls. It was your own fault. We get an assload of people coming through here who ask "What do I need so you'll hear me three blocks away????!!!?!??!!" and it's always the same thing over and over. You sounded just like another one of them.. after hijacking this thread from the original poster.

you're in Trinidad and that culture isn't so vastly different from others. I've known several people from that region so I'm aware of how things work there as well as in numerous other countries I've lived in. My system is designed purely for SQ, and most of it's power is reserve for headroom. Having as much power as I do doesn't have anything to do with having the maturity and responsibility to use it wisely. This same theory seems to work with many things, like handgun ownership as well. Having a gun doesn't mean you have to use it to commit crimes now, does it?

well.. maybe in your culture. Not in mine.

Bronze Member

Caribbean, T...

Post Number: 25
"then just say you want something that hits really low, in the 35Hz and lower range. You're the one who used the description of knocking things off of peoples' walls. It was your own fault."

For that i already appologised ("then you all took it wrong and i will appologise for not explaining myself clearly.")

"Having as much power as I do doesn't have anything to do with having the maturity and responsibility to use it wisely."

Hope you do realise i am mature enough to avoid flaming and no matter what is said i refuse to start, with that said your last line is not appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 101
Glass : It's true we 'damn Trinis' are all over the world .
Have those Trinis You known told you about the music pirates we got all over Trinidad & Tobago ? Even though there is law/copyright organisation - they are domant , these guys sell out of a portable metal frame cart with a pair of 12" subs , ported box, 6x9s ,tweeters,HU,xover & big multichannel amp - all powered by a truck battery , no HO alt/Cap needed - lol

They only play R&B,(c)rap,Jamaican reggae & all that gangsta sh1t loudly all day & you guys think people in the US annoy others - lol

beerman_accelerator-pedal.com
Unregistered guest
[quote]
First of all, I want to tell everyone NOT to use those links.
[/quote]
Fourteen people have ignored your advice.
[quote]
No offense,
[/quote]
None taken.
[quote]
but there is no way that those calculators know what to do.
[/quote]
My calculator knows exactly what to do, you have to know what you want first. I didn't make the box-building equivalent of the HAL9000, it's just a tool.
[quote]
They do not have enough variables for different subs to be accurate at all!! In order to calculate port size, you must have different values for each individual sub. Those calc's do not ask for those values.
[/quote]
I didn't intend to reinvent WinISD or bassboxpro and I didn't intend circumvent mfr recommendations in the case of entry-level subwoofers.

The goal was to never draw out subwoofer plans by hand again after spending 3 hours on a buddy of mine's stage subwoofer. And that 3 hours was after using WinISD for 20 minutes to draw up response curves based on box volume and tuning frequency.

So I spent another six hours writing code to do it all for me in about 4/10 of a second. I've had dozens of people tell me that it is, in fact, accurate.

But since the emails asking "wut 2 tune mah subz 2?" have been increasing recently, I will be further automating myself out of volunteer work. I've been working on a revision for 3 weeks and I feel I'm about 2 weeks away from a useable product.

It addresses all of your concerns, and then some.

Bronze Member
Username: Justababyboy

Philly, PA

Post Number: 30
Brooks Robinson if your looking for a legitament premade box...but these guys make this box specifically for your sub and make that sub sound like no other go to http://www.powered4sound.com/ these guys i highly reccomend and others will to just ask around

p4s blows
Unregistered guest
Yes, buy a box from p4s. Im sure the guy has 400+ dollars to throw towards a box.

Bronze Member
Username: Justababyboy

Philly, PA

Post Number: 31
Cute name though, I actually have the SS w/ an eclipse titanium from p4s and did not spend no more than 300 which would be the average price for a custom box. Let me guess your one of them guys that go around posting stupid insult comments on forums b/c you have nothing better to do...right?

beerman_accelerator-pedal.com
Unregistered guest
Wow, this place won't let me quote. Since I'm not registered, it won't let me fix it either. :-(

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9057
my remark about maturity and power was in regards to amplifier power :P
guess that was unclear.

anyway, mostly the guys I know in Trin just talk about the lack of abundance in cool cars lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us