New Koda 10's or New RLi 8's

Bronze Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 93
Ok, I have been hearing that soundsplinters new subs will be using something better than XBL^2?

I would like to either pre-order some of the new RLI-8's or 2 of the new Koda 10's.

the box should have around .6 cubic feet for downfiring, and a bit more for forward firing.

Catch is I can only use Koda 10's in a downfiring setup. And I can only use RLi's 8's in a forward firing setup (Can't fit 10's forward fring, and can't fit 8's downfiring.)

Which do I order is I'm going for SQ/SQL?

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 74
Downfiring subs in car audio isn't really a main set-up most people do
a lot of thats just because of the room and from the fact that the bass can't spread out as much in a car
wat kind of car is it going in??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Nissan Titan and the subs are going to need to fit under the rear Bench-style seat.

So it's downfiring Koda 10's or Forward Firing RLi 8's I have narrowed it down to one of those 2 setups.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
ok someone just posted this on the Nissan Titan forums. I think it is for the King Cab not the larger Crew Cab.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14679

Picture this for downfiring, or use your imagination and visualize forward firing.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 481
Mike won't sell product until it is available. so, if purchasing time is an issue, you might want to go w/the koda's.
and i'm certain that it would be very difficult to tell the difference between xbl and lmt.
here is a great example of a downfiring system that i respect (it made me consider downfiring my subs anyway).
Upload
it is typically less likely to localize the subs if they are downfiring than if they fire forward. i vote downfiring (if it's convenient).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Ordering time, and cost does not matter all that much. I'm still matting the entire vehicle before I install. I woudl assume I shoudl use 2 layers of RAAMAT and 1 layer of foam under where the subs would fire.

That is a very cooling lookin downfire setup, I wish I could fit somthing like that!

Downfire would be better in that I could toss stuff on top of the boxes if cramming things in the back of my truck for camping etc, and the fact that if out of sight they are out of mind, people would not be able to see those Beefy 8's if scoping out my truck. Plus no need to make grills etc.

if my amp is a US Made Hifonics Zeuse 600x1 @ 4 ohm or 300x2 @ 2 ohm

Should I get the dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm version of the Kodas?

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 598
with the dual 2 ohm you can get a .5 or 2 or 8 ohm load. With the dual 4 ohm subs you can get a 1 or 4 ohm load. Hope this helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
Those subs are 300 watts apeice, so if you get the dual 4 ohm version you can wire it down to that 4 ohm load and give them 300 watts apeice. Hifonics ams are overrated though, so it is a tough call on what they would actually get.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 798
justin,

you wouldnt be interested in a 10" Adire brahma mk2 would you? i haved one for sale.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
marshall, sorry man it just won't fit.

What is better, to run the subs in mono or sterio witht his setup, I understand teh wiring, THe specs are slightly different for the 2 ohm and 4 ohm versions also.

I'm not sure about hifonics being overrated, I heard their newer amps are but this is an older one with a USA sticker on it. When I replaced my old 600 watt amp the hifonics was ALOT louder than the generic one, it pushed my old W0's pretty hard. I know there are better amps but it was good back in the day wen I got it like 5 years ago.

Subs will be in a small enclosure anyways.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 483
"Subs will be in a small enclosure anyways."

the smaller the enclosure, the more necessary power/watts to effect xmax.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
I'm sure my amp will power the Kodas perfectly fine.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 484
i agree. the only prob i had out of mine is it ran hot. it glowed blue though, so i don't think it was necessarily the old school/good one that you have.
w/regards to resistance, some amps run hotter bridged at 4ohms. if yours doesn't, then i would bridge it, and snag the dual 4ohms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
I have not needed to bridge the amp yet as it was just driving W0's. I plan to mount the amp under the drivers seat. There is a vent for the AC there too. But generaly I won't have this system turned up all the way, especialy not the subs. I got it hot before, when I had thrown something over it, and drove with it turneed all the way up 150 x2 @ 4 ohms for a few hours across the desert I think it was about 100 deg outside too... but it didn't glow or anything like that.

I don't know for sure that mine is the good one, it's possible the better ones are from a time before mine.

Oh man, I can't wait to finish matting my truck so I can power my DLS fronts and start building the box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Ohyea I forgot to ask, your recomending I get the dual 4 ohm versions because it is better to run downfiring subs in mono? Or because amps tend to make more power bridged? Or because the 4 ohm version of the subs are better?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 485
what kind of ride are you installing. i have a 99 expo and the guys on caraudio (saw your post there too) said that the noisiest part was the roof of the hatch. since i have exterior custom pods i didn't pad the doors or the floor. just the roof. i'm hoping this is adequate or i will be doing it again myself. the thought of removing seats and carpet pains me. trying to avoid it if i can. think i can get away w/just this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Sorry I'm not familiar with your vehicle I know what you mean though. I'm installing in a titan and plan to matt everythign except the roof. The roof is kinda trick since grazity is working against the Mat. I'm trying to avoid the roof, but I'm goign to do everything else, even the rear doors with or without speakers in them. My Stock rear doors rattle a bit with the stock speakers in them. The fronts did too but now it sounds pretty good. I used 1/2 roll of RAAMAT on each door and the ensolite foam.

I'd deaden everything you can, jstu think of it as something you can continue to do to make yoru car sound better instead of thinking of it as a huge project :-)

so what is the reason to get the dual 4 ohm subs in mono vs 2 ohm subs in sterio?

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Sorry I'm not familiar with your vehicle I know what you mean though. I'm installing in a titan and plan to matt everythign except the roof. The roof is kinda trick since grazity is working against the Mat. I'm trying to avoid the roof, but I'm goign to do everything else, even the rear doors with or without speakers in them. My Stock rear doors rattle a bit with the stock speakers in them. The fronts did too but now it sounds pretty good. I used 1/2 roll of RAAMAT on each door and the ensolite foam.

I'd deaden everything you can, just think of it as something you can continue to do to make your car sound better instead of thinking of it as a huge project :-)

so what is the reason to get the dual 4 ohm subs in mono vs 2 ohm subs in sterio?

Silver Member

Post Number: 621
The way things are going, you will never get the Kodas. It has been forevor since anyone at all could get any subs from Adire. Hopefully all of things where i see they are coming soon are actually true.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 489
same current. i just believe in driving my subs in mono when possible. and i also believe in a 4ohm load whenever possible. it's just a personal preference. even though the increased dampening between 2 and 4 ohms isn't noticable, i know it's there. i'm just a bit annal is all (they won't let me spell that word right).
also, if you do ever choose to get a different amp, it allows the flexability of pushing it 4 OR 1ohms. not too many .5 ohm stable amps (sure do miss those ppi arts).

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 490
so, this point is actually more of a subject than i had assumed. just got off the line w/my friend/installer and he seems to prefer stereo over mono. says its less distortion (even though its not necessarily audible).
i'll make a post of it now since i have a question regarding voice coils anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Well I noticed that for the 10's the dual 8 ohm version have more frequecy extention. 22HTZ and the dual 4 ohm start at 24HTZ,

But if I look closer it is the opposite for all other sizes. The 12 and 15 inch versions have Less Frequency response for 8 ohm than 4 ohm versions???? Is this an error?

And wait, if I go with dual 8 ohm subs how are you figuring I can get them down to 1 ohm?

why is more dampening good?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us