1, 2, 4 what Amp??

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 162
I see alot of questions asked about what amps to buy, and I have a question on this for anyone.
Is it better to buy an amp that is rated best at 2ohms, 1 ohm stable, or what?
I guess what I'm saying is that I have always heard that running subs at 1 ohm is putting all the amps power into the subs(?) mono
Then I see where guys buy 2 channel amps and run them as such into 2 ohms, which is better, or what is the rule of thumb to go by? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 467
That doesn't make much sense. All you do is buy an amp that puts out the right amount of power at the right ammount of resistance (ohms) for your subs. So if you have a 4-ohm sub that is 300 watts rms, look for an amp that does about 300 watts rms @4 ohms. It gets more complicated than that, but that is the basics. Take a look here:

www.bcae1.com

You'll learn alot.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 163
Thanks for the site, I guess I didn't explain what I meant very well.
Ok, lets say and this is what I have 2 subs that are dvc 4ohms, depending how I wire them I can get 1 or 4 ohms at the amp! My question is do you want an amp that is 1 ohm stable and run it that way, or in other words is that best or what, does any of this make sense?

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 471
Yes, that makes sense. With those subs you can get a 1 ohm stable mono amp or bridge a 2 channel amp @4 ohms. It doesn't really matter which you want to do as long as you get the right ammount of power for your subs in the end. The 2 channel, in general, would be a little cheaper, becuase most DECENT 1 ohm stable mono amps are kind of spendy.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 165
So if your running say 1000 watts into 4 ohms, or would do the same amount at 1ohm, there is no difference? Thanks for the help

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 472
Come again? Please make sure your question makes sense before you post.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 166
Ok what I am saying is that if I need 1000 watts to both subs, it will be hard to find a 2 channel amp that provide that at 4 ohms, and say I did find one, would the sound and way the subs work be the same, if you were to run say a mono amp @ 1 ohm giving the subs 1000 watts, or running them at 4 ohms running a 2 channel amp.
LOL, I hope this makes sense this time!

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 481
Ok now I understand what you are trying to say! And the answer is yes, there is no sound difference between the 2. But def looks for good companies that honestly rate their power. Some of the top brands are like Zapco, JL, Xtant, Arc, Brax, US amps and Orion. You will pay more for these amps but they have much better sound quality and don't distort as fast as other cheaper amps.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 167
Thanks man!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us